AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Because of all the hip-hop/rap? I'll never buy hard media again. Or pay for downloads.

Maybe I should never say never.
This is a mistake in thinking. I have purchased numerous Albums from HD Tracks and I find them to be louder rather than better sounding than non-hi resolution music. Buying a well recorded CD and importing them to your USB drive is a better sound than even the CD, itself. hard media is still relevant.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:11 PM

I prefer streaming. But, I'm new to it, and the sound quality issue I have not yet reached a firm opinion on.

But, from the standpoit of convenience and cost, there is no comparison to buying music on a per-album basis.

I agree that a well recorded CD can sound outstanding.

You didn't answer why I should buy a BDP-3. I have a BDP-1.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:

You didn't answer why I should buy a BDP-3. I have a BDP-1.
Sorry, but I am confusing the BDs. I was thinking about the D/A converter.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaj View Post
I cancelled it organically because of all the biasing towards that specific genre. Constant buffering on anything but Rap/Pop, recommendations always Rap/Pop, etc etc. (And I don't like Jay-Z as a human) Spotify does a wonderful job at putting together recommendations, but the quality sucks. Everyone says to use Roon but I just haven't got into it.

The Tidal interface is awful in my opinion. Searches are clumsy and in general the software is not intuitive.
But when you use Roon to access the Tidal library, the combo works fantastic. Roon+Tidal is an excellent marriage. You use Roon interface to look for and manage your music. And Tidal feeds it.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Dave, you may want to read Kal Rubinson's review of the Mytec Brooklyn+ in Stereophile's April 2018 edition. Its a very good read. Also in that edition is an editorial wherein it was expressed that MQA may not be in the audiophiles best interest.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM

I'll check Kal's review out. As for the pro and cons of MQA, I've pretty much read it all. Most of the cons, by the way, seem to be based on paper, and not on what these reviewers actually heard. I'll trust my own ears rather than what people say. I'm not wedded to The idea, but if it sounds better, I'm all for it.

I definitely am going to use streaming as my main source of music. I have no desire to keep buying media or downloads. I only own about 200 CDs etc, not 2000, like somebody we both know and don't like the idea of printing enough money to by HD downloads. Twenty bucks a month, and I have way more than 2000 albums at my fingertips. It has thoroughly rekindled my desire to listen to music.

Only problem is, where I live the best internet connection I can get is not fast enough to stream Hi resolution music. MQA solves that problem nicely.

Just checked, and I don't have the April Stereophile yet. Did Kal like the Dac+?
Old 03-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I'll check Kal's review out. As for the pro and cons of MQA, I've pretty much read it all. Most of the cons, by the way, seem to be based on paper, and not on what these reviewers actually heard. I'll trust my own ears rather than what people say. I'm not wedded to The idea, but if it sounds better, I'm all for it.

I definitely am going to use streaming as my main source of music. I have no desire to keep buying media or downloads. I only own about 200 CDs etc, not 2000, like somebody we both know and don't like the idea of printing enough money to by HD downloads. Twenty bucks a month, and I have way more than 2000 albums at my fingertips. It has thoroughly rekindled my desire to listen to music.

Only problem is, where I live the best internet connection I can get is not fast enough to stream Hi resolution music. MQA solves that problem nicely.

Just checked, and I don't have the April Stereophile yet. Did Kal like the Dac+?
I read his review in a cursory manner, but he seem to like it well enough, but he seems to have changed his opinion of MQA, and feels it may not be in our best interest. I read enough from both him and the editor in that issue to know I will never want or get MQA, and neither should you as you will be supporting a closed medium that is suspect to say the least. If I were you and I needed a D/A converter, I'd get the BDA3 because at least you can play DSD through HDMI which I believe the Brooklyn Mytec does not have. I will re-read Kal's review when I get off work.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I read his review in a cursory manner, but he seem to like it well enough, but he seems to have changed his opinion of MQA, and feels it may not be in our best interest. I read enough from both him and the editor in that issue to know I will never want or get MQA, and neither should you as you will be supporting a closed medium that is suspect to say the least. If I were you and I needed a D/A converter, I'd get the BDA3 because at least you can play DSD through HDMI which I believe the Brooklyn Mytec does not have. I will re-read Kal's review when I get off work.
I have no need for DSD. I'll decide for myself about MQA. Thanks.

BDA3 does not have a headphone amp.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I have no need for DSD. I'll decide for myself about MQA. Thanks.

BDA3 does not have a headphone amp.
Don't you have SACD disc? When you read April's Stereophile, you may have second thoughts. I think Stereophile was really looking out for the consumer so that one company cannot create a monopoly on music playback. All other codecs are open and free; but, not MQA.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Sorry, but I am confusing the BDs. I was thinking about the D/A converter.
No problem. If I don't like MQA, which I'll be able to check out when my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ arrives, I'll consider it--though the SP3 has mighty fine DACs already.

The reason for the Brooklyn is threefold: To try a separate DAC, to have MQA, and for a good headphone AMP. If it's not what I want in my main system, I can always keep it on my desktop for the headphones.