AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM

Holy Moly .......we got new Porsches, new Bentleys, new amps and I was happy to get a new PC before Christmas !........

Everybody enjoy their new toys !!

On the serious side, Serge that does look like one fine piece of kit.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Dang, that thing looks serious.

Those pesky Germans, I tell ya...

I take it this unit does not presently have a DAC subsystem, but it can be added later as a "module"?

Congrats, Serge.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-02-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Holy Moly .......we got new Porsches, new Bentleys, new amps and I was happy to get a new PC before Christmas !........

Everybody enjoy their new toys !!

On the serious side, Serge that does look like one fine piece of kit.
Thanks Dave, No more X-mas presents for me. I've been a bad boy with audio purchases this year...
Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Dang, that think looks serious.

Those pesky Germans, I tell ya...

I take it this unit does not presently have a DAC subsystem, but it can be added later as a "module"?

Congrats, Serge.
Thanks Stephen! Yes, in a typical German fashion, the engineering is quite impressive. The V281 and their other headphone amps can be ordered/configured in some ways. I did order the 24/192 USB XMOS package and the Remote controlled ALPS27 volume control module. Loaded another words. It only made sense since the sale was 25% and those two items didn't hurt the pocket as much. I'll post my impressions shortly. I've been listening to it for a few hours...
Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Price Serge?
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Thanks Stephen! Yes, in a typical German fashion, the engineering is quite impressive. The V281 and their other headphone amps can be ordered/configured in some ways. I did order the 24/192 USB XMOS package and the Remote controlled ALPS27 volume control module. Loaded another words. It only made sense since the sale was 25% and those two items didn't hurt the pocket as much. I'll post my impressions shortly. I've been listening to it for a few hours...
Cool. With the Utopias?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Price Serge?
Bart, since you are in Belgium, probably need to go through the European website. http://lake-people.de/produktdetails/hpa-v281.html

For USA customers http://violectric-usa.com/

With the Upgraded Motorized/ALPS27 and 24/192 DAC it cost me $2467 which was 25% the regular price.

It can be ordered without the Motorized Volume and without USB for $2349 minus 10% (approx $2000) at the current Winter Saving Coupon.

Definitely worth the money.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Cool. With the Utopias?
Yes, got the Utopia on my noggin for deep listening. The Utopia resolves the finest details.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Yes, got the Utopia on my noggin for deep listening. The Utopia resolves the finest details.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Gentlemen, all I can say is that my journey/quest for a solid state headphone amplifier stops right here for any foreseeable future. This V281 amp is an incredibly gorgeous sounding unit.

It's only been on for a few hours and I don't know if there is a break in curve or not but even if it stays exactly like it is right now, I am impressed beyond words.

It is incredibly smooth, engaging and musical. The strong points are the liquid and engaging midrange, very nicely extended, natural sounding highs, iron fisted grip on the bass. If there are any weaknesses, I have not discovered them yet. Stands alone above my other headphone amps. It presents music with ease and flow that is quite natural, organic and easy on the ears. I love the weight, body and soul it adds to the Utopia listening. I would not call it dark or lush sounding and it is no where near being lean or bright sounding amp. It holds the golden middle ground in terms of tonal balance and timbre. The weighty and proper scale presentation adds a very natural and organic flow to music which I like very much. It creates quite palpable and very focused imaging inside the headphones.

On the remote controlled/motorized volume. What a great feature! Not only can I control volume, I can also mute and select between the three inputs (SE, Balanced, DIG/USB)

I've been going back and forth between the Gungnir DAC and the modular DAC in the V281 using Roon. I set up two zones in Roon and playing same tracks with a few seconds delay between them which allows me to switch back and forth and hear the same part of the track back to back. Using the balanced inputs for Gumby and the USB from my Roon computer to feed the internal DAC, I can easily compare between them on the V281 with a push of the button on the remote.

Gumby obviously is in another league in terms of perceived resolution, digging out the last microscopic detail hidden in the recordings and it sounds more extended in the highs but it is not a night and day difference either. The bass is a bit tighter and I would say a bit more accurate than the XMOS DAC module but.... It seems pretty obvious Lake People worked/voice their modular DAC to be synergistic with the headphone amp itself. It sound right! Quite enjoyable and smooooooth. I would say the internal DAC is actually a bit on the warmer side of neutral. No sour grapes here...

I can see someone actually preferring the internal DAC and Gungnir for others. I view the difference as a better match for various recording and genres I listen to. I would use Gungnir for all my great recordings and internal DAC for not so great ones.

I will follow up once I get some more time on this wonderful amp.