AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman
That's a beautiful room Robert! I love the color of the Sophias. Have you done anything else with the room lately? (besides the ARC gear!) I'm interested mainly in how it sounds with the vaulted ceiling. Do the Sophias fill the room sufficiently without it being too much of an echo chamber? Perhaps it helps dissipate reflections better with all the angles going on. The house that I will eventually be moving into has a great room with a vaulted ceiling and I'm curious as to how it affects the sound.
Doug, thank you...there have been a couple of changes, but nothing major. I added a large bookcase on the right hand wall to house albums. The room does have a good amount of slap echo, so more needs to be done. For example, we'll be adding wall to wall carpeting and curtains. I'd like to put some panels of some sort on the ceilings, but don't know if we'll go there.

The room has a couple of five foot openings at the listening end, but the Sophias do a pretty nice job of filling the room. I'm still playing around with position, and working on even bass, but I've been pleased. Corner bass traps aren't an option due to the window configuration, but we're hoping that the draperies will address some things.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Robert, I think you could put some tube traps in those corners, especially if disguised with curtains, and they would blend in more than you might think. What does the back wall look like (besides gorgeous like the rest of the room)?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman
Robert, I think you could put some tube traps in those corners, especially if disguised with curtains, and they would blend in more than you might think. What does the back wall look like (besides gorgeous like the rest of the room)?
Randy, I don't know about the traps...depends on the size, I guess, but I think the window sills will push them out too far. The rear wall is 15 feet, and is pretty much two five foot openings flanking a five foot wall in the center. Currently, there is a lawyer's bookcase along the wall section with the glass doors flipped up and books staggered for some dispersion. My ears are probably 24", or so, in front of the bookcase.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 AM

That Blue of the Sophia is ever so sexy

Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Whoa! How captivating. How do you balance between listening to music through those beauties and staring at them. My Sashas arrived last Wednesday, and I still find myself laboring to listen when often times a song will have ended without me realizing it, because I've been staring at the speakers. Am I crazy?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Whoa! How captivating. How do you balance between listening to music through those beauties and staring at them. My Sashas arrived last Wednesday, and I still find myself laboring to listen when often times a song will have ended without me realizing it, because I've been staring at the speakers. Am I crazy?
Nope!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Nope!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Hahaha...I do more listening than looking, but I do love the color. Having bitten the bullet to go new with the color I wanted, I can't ever imagine having a different color.

Congrats on your Sasha...they're fit for a saint!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
Hahaha...I do more listening than looking, but I do love the color. Having bitten the bullet to go new with the color I wanted, I can't ever imagine having a different color.

What a beautiful color. Thank you for your kind words, and kudos to you on the new acquisition.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Nope!
Either you're absolutely right, or, perhaps, we suffer from the very same malady. Either way, I'm with you.