AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6871  
Old 06-25-2022, 05:58 PM
Analog Addict's Avatar
Analog Addict Analog Addict is offline
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 316
Default Text from Dennis

Why paraphrase???

“ Let these folks know that the voltages reported are derived from the first stage of the power supply. Let them know that the actual operating tube voltage is much lower when one considers the voltage drop through the filter chokes and the drop of voltage through the output transformer as well. Also with the auto, cathode bias there is an operating voltage differential with the voltage drop through the audio bias circuit. Also these voltages are for the 46 amplifier.


Talk to ya soon …

Dennis”
Reply With Quote
  #6872  
Old 06-25-2022, 06:04 PM
Analog Addict's Avatar
Analog Addict Analog Addict is offline
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTube Guy View Post
6V6G and 6L6G and GAs are sublime too. IMHO, you don't need the Decware amp. Put those funds toward an Inspire LP2030 preamp and take your system to another level.
That is the truth. Reach out and touch the future via the 01A way back machine...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #6873  
Old 06-25-2022, 09:47 PM
Isaacc7 Isaacc7 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Why paraphrase???

ď Let these folks know that the voltages reported are derived from the first stage of the power supply. Let them know that the actual operating tube voltage is much lower when one considers the voltage drop through the filter chokes and the drop of voltage through the output transformer as well. Also with the auto, cathode bias there is an operating voltage differential with the voltage drop through the audio bias circuit. Also these voltages are for the 46 amplifier.


Talk to ya soon Ö

DennisĒ
That is good to know. I do wonder what the output tubes are seeing with different rectifiers in the KT88 amp.
Reply With Quote
  #6874  
Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 AM
Analog Addict's Avatar
Analog Addict Analog Addict is offline
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
That is good to know. I do wonder what the output tubes are seeing with different rectifiers in the KT88 amp.
Easy enough to measure...
Reply With Quote
  #6875  
Old 06-26-2022, 02:27 PM
Isaacc7 Isaacc7 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Easy enough to measure...
Do tell, I don't have a clue how to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #6876  
Old 06-28-2022, 07:54 AM
OldTube Guy OldTube Guy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Thanks, the thought has crossed my mind. That said, Iím also pretty happy with my current tube preamp (Freya Plus).

Decware: Itís only curiosity at this point considering it also has a very passionate following. Perhaps I can do an A/B comparison, which is something I am unable to find online as of yet. But good news is that now Iím not necessarily pining for it. Extremely happy with my choice to enter the Inspire family.

Speaking of being curious, I do plan to get a GL KT-77 as well to assess. Thatís another tube that consistently keeps getting rave reviews.

I will also now look at other 6V6 and 6L6 tubes seriously. I know the French Visseaux is highly regarded (I believe some like it better then the Popes).
Forget the Visseuax 6V6, it is now expensive and unobtanium. epay seller yitry in England and has true NOS Fivre 6V6Gs for a reasonable price. He also has NOS Ferranti/Brimar 807s. I have a quad of the 6V6s and a pair of the 807s. Excellent tubes.
Reply With Quote
  #6877  
Old 06-28-2022, 12:52 PM
Isaacc7 Isaacc7 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTube Guy View Post
Forget the Visseuax 6V6, it is now expensive and unobtanium. epay seller yitry in England and has true NOS Fivre 6V6Gs for a reasonable price. He also has NOS Ferranti/Brimar 807s. I have a quad of the 6V6s and a pair of the 807s. Excellent tubes.
You don't have to spend a lot to get good 6v6 tubes. Though I am tempted by those Fivre 6v6g...

That seller, Langrex if you don't want to go through ebay, also has el38 tubes. One of my all time favorites in the amp. Pair it with a low gain tube like the 6bx7 or even better a bl63/cv1102 and I get amazingly balanced, slightly warm, tonally accurate, and with gobs of detail. The el38 gets kind of piercing in my system if I pair it up with most 6sn7 and especially 6sl7.
Reply With Quote
  #6878  
Old 06-28-2022, 01:57 PM
OldTube Guy OldTube Guy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
You don't have to spend a lot to get good 6v6 tubes. Though I am tempted by those Fivre 6v6g...

That seller, Langrex if you don't want to go through ebay, also has el38 tubes. One of my all time favorites in the amp. Pair it with a low gain tube like the 6bx7 or even better a bl63/cv1102 and I get amazingly balanced, slightly warm, tonally accurate, and with gobs of detail. The el38 gets kind of piercing in my system if I pair it up with most 6sn7 and especially 6sl7.
The Fivres are good and true NOS. The input tube used can make or break the sound of a given power tube. I cannot stress that enough. It makes the difference between thumbs up or down. Synergy is the key.
Reply With Quote
  #6879  
Old 06-28-2022, 02:25 PM
Isaacc7 Isaacc7 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTube Guy View Post
The Fivres are good and true NOS. The input tube used can make or break the sound of a given power tube. I cannot stress that enough. It makes the difference between thumbs up or down. Synergy is the key.
if youíre going to play around with tubes rolling it pays to have a variety of input tubes. I have 8 or 9 different ones but Iím on the lunatic fringe lol. There have been so many instances of trying an output tube and thinking it stinks only to be amazed when trying a different input tube.

And donít fool yourself, the combos can be unpredictable. I used to think that tubes had flavors and I could simply add the flavor I wanted. Nope, I have been surprised many times at what combos ended up working. I do think that different tube types (6sn7 vs 6sl7 for example) can lead to predictable outcomes but versions inside the type can vary a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #6880  
Old 06-28-2022, 09:16 PM
khashmi's Avatar
khashmi khashmi is offline
Padawan
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTube Guy View Post
Forget the Visseuax 6V6, it is now expensive and unobtanium. epay seller yitry in England and has true NOS Fivre 6V6Gs for a reasonable price. He also has NOS Ferranti/Brimar 807s. I have a quad of the 6V6s and a pair of the 807s. Excellent tubes.
Thanks for the great tip. Iím looking it up. Btw, donít the 807ís need a special adaptor with a wire that goes from the base to the top of the tube (or do I have that wrong?).

To the extent Visseaux is available, what is in your opinion, a good price for them?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase