AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Vintage Audio

Vintage Audio Classic never goes out of Style

Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Default Vintage High End

Does anyone have any experience with Aragon's top 2Ch Preamp the Aurum? I picked one up and the build quality is phenomenal. I'm taking a few days off, so I think a preamp shoot out between my ARC SP14 and the Aurum will be taking place in the main rig.

Both units are spotless,and in perfect condition so It should be a fun exercise.

Regards,
Jim
Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Default The shoot out - some thoughts

Wow, these are two fine preamps that will pull the weight in all but the upper end systems. IMHO

The ARC SP14 is a very open and airy preamp with great speed and attack and an uncanny ability to hang vocals in mid air with tons of breath. The sound stage is wide and medium deep and very 3D. It also has a very nice MM Tube driven phono stage which impresses, but is not an issue since the Aragon is a line stage.

The Aragon Aurum is a dual mono Class A line stage with a separate Ingot power supply. The Arum comes out ahead in built quality, although it is very close. The sound stage is huge and very deep with very good placement in the sound stage of individual musicians, and the presentation is more holographic than the SP14. The Arum also out performs the SP14 in the delicacy of the top end and the control and content of the bottom end. Vocals are wonderful, but are missing a tad of the breath and magic of the SP14.

This was a great weekend exercise that has me in a quandary which to keep! The tie breaker may well be the balanced outputs on the Aurum which would feed the balanced inputs on my crossover. Decisions, Decisions

The question is do I give a little in the vocal area magic, and move on from the ARC SP14, putting the funds in the kitty towards a Tube preamp which is my quest for the main rig or keep using the SP14?

Right now that is my plan, any and all advice would be appreciated!
Regards,
Jim
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 PM

A few days off around Labor Day. Must be nice.

Interesting review. Guess you need a bit more time with the units to decide or just upgrade the 'vintage' system to separates and let the Yamaha go to a welcoming new home.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 AM

I had the Aurum about 20 years ago and was very happy. It has been so long, I would like to hear your thoughts as to how it stacks up against modern gear.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
A few days off around Labor Day. Must be nice.

Interesting review. Guess you need a bit more time with the units to decide or just upgrade the 'vintage' system to separates and let the Yamaha go to a welcoming new home.
I had to take a weeks vacation to get the time off.

Interesting proposition in regards to the vintage rig, although for what I use it for it does a fine job.

Decisions, Decisions.......

Regards,
Jim
Old 09-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

The ARC SP14 is the most modern gear I have compared it too, but it is a very quiet preamp that continues to impress!

Regards,
Jim
Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
AudioCrazyPhile!

I got the Aurum pre and it's still sound as good as new even though I haven't used it in years. It's a keeper piece and I just hated to part with it.

Other stereo preamps I kept from the same era includes Threshold FET1MKII, Pioneer C-21, Denon PRA-2000, Carver C-4000; etc.