AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Default Arcam AVR400 VS Marantz SR7005

I just completed an addition to my home and have a temporary system in place for 5.1 surround for general TV watching and occasional move viewing. this is more of a family room used for basic TV watching and not a dedicated Home Theater.

I have a Panasonic 58" pro series TV with Totem tribe in wall speakers flush mounted on either side and above the TV with tribe speakers behind for surround. I am currently using an old Arcam AVR300 receiver which is not HDMI ready so I need to upgrade.

In my main system I am currently using an AVR600 with Dali Helicon speakers which originally used the AVR300 when it was first setup. I have to admit the difference the AVR600 made over the 300 was light years apart. If I could I would purchase another 600 in a heartbeat however it is not in the budget and honestly not needed for this room. So I was contemplating the Arcam AVR 400 as an HDMI receiver. Although I have to admit what I have read and have heard shows the Marantz SR7005 will do as good of a job for considerably less, offer more features and is easy to setup.

I was curious if anyone here has any input on these units and how they compare and if you had the choice which would you chose of the two or would you recommend something completely different? (Integra, Onkyo, Denon, NAD etc.)

Additional info the room is 24 feet wide by 22 feet deep 8 foot ceilings along the wall with the TV and 12 foot high along the back wall. The TV and speakers sit above a fireplace and there are two 8 foot wide windows on either side.

Thanks for the input.
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM

-- Anthony,

The Arcam receiver you referred to (AVR400) is in a higher class (sound quality, 2-channel stereo) than the Marantz SR7005 receiver. ...Without a doubt.

1. Are you going to add additional external power to that receiver in your room, eventually?
2. Your room is of a fair size (real power is nice to fill that large area).
3. Your speakers, are they demanding (impedance and sensitivity)?
4. What comes first to you, sound quality, good ergonomics (easy to setup), good set of features (video processing, USB, Internet, HD Radio, Streaming, etc.), quality Auto Room EQ & Calibration system, all of the above?

Me, depending of my overall budget (what is yours by the way), I'll have to wait for your answer on that last one, and the other ones above. ....

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM

--- I'm guessing that your total budget isn't that high.

Food for thought (in no particular order):

The latest Marantz SR7007, $1,800 list (less street) and with Audyssey MultEQ XT.
The Denon AVR-4311CI, ($1,000 street) and with Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
The Onkyo TX-NR818, ($600 street or less) and with Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
The Sherwood Newcastle R-972, ($600 street) and with TRINNOV.

Me ("tres personnel"), the Denon AVR-4311CI AV Receiver. ...Take your time, look for it, and you'll get it.
...Excellent unit all across the board.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

FWIW: I have an Arcam AVR300 and it slaughtered the corresponding Marantz for sound quality at the time I bought it.

I have had reliability issues with Arcam in the past, but they sound great. I am still using an Arcam Alpha 9P amplifier from the 90s in my office system. I don't know how the AVR400 sounds but it looks like a great unit.

At one point I was using three Alpha amps (10P-3, 10P, 9P) for 7 channels from my AVR300. That sounded fantastic.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM

=> Arcam AVR400 A/V Receiver | Home Theater

* True Dean, Arcam receivers are problematic for a bunch of people (HDMI and all that complicated jazz). Like you just said: "reliability issues".

And just forget it in the video department; Arcam ain't about that for a sec.

Me, IMO, Arcam is out because too many issues (I simply read enough from several owners). And that's very sad because like you said, they are some of the very best sounding AV receivers, if not thee very best in that department.

- And that's why I omitted an Arcam receiver from my above list (detrimental issues). ...I would prefer Rotel. ...And Anthem.

* But I'm still waiting for Anthony's reply.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-11-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I would also look into NAD. That's on my short list for a replacement when I get to that point. However, I hope I don't have to replace it. I have better plans for my two0-channel system.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 AM

-- NAD AV receivers (the good ones) are more money. The lower and mid tiers are just missing too many features.
And like Arcam, the video equation of A/V is not their forte at all.

And I don't believe that they have yet an AV receiver with XT32 (Audyssey). But I'm not 101% sure (only 97%). ...Too lazy to google.

Yes, NAD receivers aren't competitive enough with the likes of Pioneer Elites, Yamaha Aventages, Onkyo/Integras, Denon/Marantzes .... Anthems, Rotels. ...Of course, IMO.

* Here's a review of their top gun, the NAD T 787 A/V Receiver: http://www.hometheater.com/content/n...87-av-receiver
...Reviewed my Michael Fremer, Mr. Analogue himself.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-12-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM

I set up my account properly but i don't seem to be getting any emails informing me of subscribed threads. Didn't realize there were any responses until i looked.

Well the NAD looks very nice but more than I care to spend for this room. Sound is most important to me. Budget is flexible but I was hoping to stay below $2000 which doesn't look like it is going to happen. This is a room used more for entertaining I have my primary HT and a second HT used mostly by my son for gaming this room will be more of a family room with the occasional movie watching. I have owned many NAD, Marantz, Pioneer and Denon AV receivers over the years and I am still impressed by Arcam sound especially the 600.

I currently have several Arcam units although I know glitches are associated with these units mine have been without any issues. I am currently using an AVR600, AVR300 & an AVR250 along with a DV88 and DV29 all of which have been stellar performers but have become outdated. The AVR600 is still the best receiver I have heard and it shocked me how much better it was over the 300, coupled with the Dali speakers IMO it is one of the best sounding HT's I have heard but I am biased. I was contemplating buying a used AVR600 on AG but the issues others seem to have concern me. I would hate to buy someones lemon and I would be stretching my budget on used eq.

Reading reviews can be tough so I was curious to see what others have experienced. I have an Integra DHC-50.2 which I picked up cheap as a demo and does use Audyssey’s DSX and their Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, otherwise I have no experience with the XT32. How much better is this?

Arcam does not use Audyssey in their receivers. I have to admit the Arcams blew the Integra away for sound and the integra didn't last long, it lost its ability to switch HDMI so I decided not to fix it and use it in my garage for background music.

I was hoping after reading the reviews about the marantz that there might be more for the $$ but it sounds as though I would be better off withe the Arcam

As far as my speakers space was an issue so these worked the best and have their limitations. They are 6ohm and 90db efficiency so not too bad but not great. I will not be adding additional power I prefer somewhat easy setup at least no more complicated than the Arcam otherwise Video processing is second on the list down from sound. The rest I have no real need for although it never hurts to have. I guess the 600's class A amp is what impresses me the most. My HT room is 25 x 40 and I don't think I have ever used more than 60% of its power which was unreal and made the house shake.

I am going to look into this Denon AVR-4311CI seems like a lot of unit for the money and well within my budget. If I added any info that might change your recommendations let me know.

I appreciate everyone's help.
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM

-- Hi Anthony,

Glad that you replied back.

For all members, & for info/fun, a simple review of the Arcam AVR600: http://www.hometheater.com/receivers...0_av_receiver/
And here's another one: http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/avr600wsr-web.pdf

* Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is a 'serious' improvement over Audyssey MultEQ XT. ...Fact!
It would do very beneficial stuff in that room, in particular to the bass. ...If you have only one sub, get a second one eventually.

Alright alright now I know your budget, speaker's specs, and main priority (Home theater).
So yes I was right; the Denon AVR-4311CI A/V receiver would be perfect for you.
It can do 11.2 channels simultaneously (it's a 9.2-channel receiver with nine power amps in it; just have to add a stereo amp for 11.2), has the best Audyssey flavor (XT32), and is powerful enough for your use. ...It doesn't have the sound quality of the Arcam AVR600 but it doesn't cost as much. ...And you know what? ...It is actually a very good sounding receiver, because of Audyssey MultEQ XT32. ...For home theater (movies) it is perfect! ...And even for music listening you still benefit considerably from Audyssey.
Plus, it is Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready! ...That's right, you can still improve its sound to your taste. ...With the pro kit (about $600), or by hiring the right guy (about $300).

The Denon 4311CI is only $1,000 street ($2,000 list) and you have to search for it on the second-hand market, because it has been replaced by the AVR-4520CI, which is $1,500 street ($2,500 list).
-> The 4311CI is the better deal, if you can find it. ...I always seen it here and there, so I know that you can find one.

You ain't much into reviews, but here's one anyway: http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2010/...avr_4311.shtml
{Just use your [Translate] feature from your Google's toolbar.}

Ok, do your research now, and search for it. ..Any more questions I'm your receiver man.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-14-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
-- Hi Anthony,

Glad that you replied back.

For all members, & for info/fun, a simple review of the NAD AVR600: Arcam AVR600 A/V Receiver | Home Theater
And here's another one: http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/avr600wsr-web.pdf

* Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is a 'serious' improvement over Audyssey MultEQ XT. ...Fact!
It would do very beneficial stuff in that room, in particular to the bass. ...If you have only one sub, get a second one eventually.

Alright alright now I know your budget, speaker's specs, and main priority (Home theater).
So yes I was right; the Denon AVR-4311CI A/V receiver would be perfect for you.
It can do 11.2 channels simultaneously (it's a 9.2-channel receiver with nine power amps in it; just have to add a stereo amp for 11.2), has the best Audyssey flavor (XT32), and is powerful enough for your use. ...It doesn't have the sound quality of the Arcam AVR600 but it doesn't cost as much. ...And you know what? ...It is actually a very good sounding receiver, because of Audyssey MultEQ XT32. ...For home theater (movies) it is perfect! ...And even for music listening you still benefit considerably from Audyssey.
Plus, it is Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready! ...That's right, you can still improve its sound to your taste. ...With the pro kit (about $600), or by hiring the right guy (about $300).

The Denon 4311CI is only $1,000 street ($2,000 list) and you have to search for it on the second-hand market, because it has been replaced by the AVR-4250CI, which is $1,500 street ($2,500 list).
-> The 4311CI is the better deal, if you can find it. ...I always seen it here and there, so I know that you can find one.

You ain't much into reviews, but here's one anyway: TEST: Denon AVR-4311 - Die A/V-Receiver - Allzweckwaffe mit überragendem Klang (Test, 02.12.2010)
{Just use your [Translate] feature from your Google's toolbar.}

Ok, do your research now, and search for it. ..Any more questions I'm your receiver man.
Bob,

you have been incredibly helpful.

I am leaning towards the NAD, sounds as though it will suit this room perfectly and leave me some cash for other odds and ends.

BTW Since every thread I have joined has been so helpful I have decided to Subscribe.