AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Thank you, vegaracer1. This project has been a fun ride, not least because the sonic results have exceeded expectations in this nest of multiple asymmetries and SBIR horrors. As noted earlier, being able to test various trap configurations with real-world product before having to commit to purchasing same has been indispensable, not only in determining what worked best in this particular space but also in obtaining spousal acceptance--and ultimately support--given freely because she was able to hear, and appreciate, the results right along with me.

As a postscript, I'd note that I went predominantly with 244s because--after developing a quick-and-dirty Excel spreadsheet that did the calculating for me--I determined that the room's length, width, and height produced room modes of 86, 103, and 147 Hz, all within the 244's spec'd effective capability.
Main: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop, JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501 DAC, upgraded SOTA Sapphire III, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH) & MF2500, Paradigm SE-3's. Wireworld Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (BDP-83, PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Soffit traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Solstice mini-to-RCA IC, Counterpoint SA2000, c-j Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1, WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501, c-j Sonographe SC25 and SA250, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5, WW Eclipse 7 ICs, Tara speaker cable, Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC, PS Audio Power Port, Stillpoints Ultra Mini (under SC25 and SA250) GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate,and Monster traps.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Better pictures

These shots of the reflection-point traps put them in better perspective. The covers are standard grey, and the seeming color differences in the right-side 244s don't exist, but are instead artifacts of the light hitting them when I took the photos.

Left side...

Right side...

Having had a brainchild about a perhaps better solution to the dresser-front reflection problem than an Afghan blanket, I've emailed Bryan Pape and will let you know the outcome.
Main: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop, JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501 DAC, upgraded SOTA Sapphire III, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH) & MF2500, Paradigm SE-3's. Wireworld Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (BDP-83, PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Soffit traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Solstice mini-to-RCA IC, Counterpoint SA2000, c-j Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1, WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501, c-j Sonographe SC25 and SA250, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5, WW Eclipse 7 ICs, Tara speaker cable, Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC, PS Audio Power Port, Stillpoints Ultra Mini (under SC25 and SA250) GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate,and Monster traps.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:44 PM

Next step, following an email exchange with a quick-responding Bryan Pape: Order a pair of 24"x24" 244s to hook over the dresser's top drawers, allowing them to be removed whenever we need access to the dresser's contents and re-installed for listening sessions.

I'd initially asked Bryan if 242s would suffice, but he indicated that 244s would be more effective in coping with the SBIR issues posed by the speakers' proximity to the dresser.

He also suggested that, given the height of my listening position, its relationship to the speakers' vertical axis, and the amelioration of SBIR by placing 244s over the dresser drawers, building taller speaker stands might not be necessary or desirable. Which saves me resources that can be devoted to building a lower-profile "flexy" equipment rack.

Another example of the quick and helpful customer service I've experienced with GIK.

I'll place the 244 order in about a week and then follow up here with pics and the sonic results.