AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Default Places to Stay in Bermuda

We've been to Bermuda three times, but everytime it's been on a cruise. Now we're looking to fly there and stay for a week. Sure they all look nice on line ( what would you expect ) but I'd rather hear from people that have actually stayed there. We want something on the beach. We do like Southhampton and Paget for areas. We don't need all-inclusive, we're not going there to drink. If I've left anything out, let me know. Thanks, Jack
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 PM

Jack...about 6 years or so ago we went to Bermuda for a long weekend and stayed at The Elbow Beach Hotel. I think Mandarin Oriental had just acquired it and was planning a renovation. An assistant manager took us on a tour of one of the cottages to show us the new style - it was very light, clean lines, and modern looking, not at all like the rooms in the main hotel - which had that British "colonial" feel. I kind of the prefer the latter, since it is Bermuda after all, but the rooms in the main building were a bit tired and needed to be refreshed. I am not sure where they are with the renovations, but the location was great, and you could walk to their beach (it took a few minutes from the main hotel building), which had a restaurant. We had a decent package deal, but I'd check with the hotel directly to see what's going on with the renovations and check online travel sites for reviews.

As an experienced Bermuda traveler, I'd be curious for your thoughts on this. I've been there twice - once over 20 years ago (at a B&B), then again, a few years ago. It seems the place has lost of a bit of it's feel - the restaurants and especially shopping in Hamilton, for example, seems like they could be almost anywhere (there were shops with international brands replacing the older, "traditional" places)... Still naturally beautiful of course, but it seems like it was becoming a little anonymous ?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Jack...about 6 years or so ago we went to Bermuda for a long weekend and stayed at The Elbow Beach Hotel. I think Mandarin Oriental had just acquired it and was planning a renovation. An assistant manager took us on a tour of one of the cottages to show us the new style - it was very light, clean lines, and modern looking, not at all like the rooms in the main hotel - which had that British "colonial" feel. I kind of the prefer the latter, since it is Bermuda after all, but the rooms in the main building were a bit tired and needed to be refreshed. I am not sure where they are with the renovations, but the location was great, and you could walk to their beach (it took a few minutes from the main hotel building), which had a restaurant. We had a decent package deal, but I'd check with the hotel directly to see what's going on with the renovations and check online travel sites for reviews.

As an experienced Bermuda traveler, I'd be curious for your thoughts on this. I've been there twice - once over 20 years ago (at a B&B), then again, a few years ago. It seems the place has lost of a bit of it's feel - the restaurants and especially shopping in Hamilton, for example, seems like they could be almost anywhere (there were shops with international brands replacing the older, "traditional" places)... Still naturally beautiful of course, but it seems like it was becoming a little anonymous ?
All valid points John. The last time we were there was in 2006 and it had lost some of the charm of before. We sort of blamed it on the cruise ship, because we docked in St George the first day, Hamilton the second and Kings Wharf the third. It all felt so chopped up and we did some different things because of it. We didn't rent a scooter like we usually do and ride around the island and hit some of the out of the way beaches. We usually hit Elbow Beach one day and use their beach and have lunch at the outdoor cafe. Their prices are more then some of the others, so maybe that means that they got their renovations done. I'll have to check further.

One of the great things last time was when we were in Kings Wharf and we went to our favorite pub The Frog and Onion and the World Cup was going on and England was playing that afternoon and the place was crazy. Thanks for your comments
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
All valid points John. The last time we were there was in 2006 and it had lost some of the charm of before. We sort of blamed it on the cruise ship, because we docked in St George the first day, Hamilton the second and Kings Wharf the third. It all felt so chopped up and we did some different things because of it. We didn't rent a scooter like we usually do and ride around the island and hit some of the out of the way beaches. We usually hit Elbow Beach one day and use their beach and have lunch at the outdoor cafe. Their prices are more then some of the others, so maybe that means that they got their renovations done. I'll have to check further.

One of the great things last time was when we were in Kings Wharf and we went to our favorite pub The Frog and Onion and the World Cup was going on and England was playing that afternoon and the place was crazy. Thanks for your comments
The last time my wife and I cruised to Bermuda, we stayed docked in Hamilton for the whole week. A major storm was brewing in the Atlantic and for some reason, the cruise ship company (Celebrity) didn't want to move the ship - although the weather was perfect in Bermuda the whole time.

It was like having a major hotel parked at the dock downtown and was the very nicest thing.

We traveled all over the island and returned to our "hotel" every night, in time for dinner. To us, it was perfect.

Beats the heck out of moving from port to port on that little island.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
The last time my wife and I cruised to Bermuda, we stayed docked in Hamilton for the whole week. A major storm was brewing in the Atlantic and for some reason, the cruise ship company (Celebrity) didn't want to move the ship - although the weather was perfect in Bermuda the whole time.

It was like having a major hotel parked at the dock downtown and was the very nicest thing.

We traveled all over the island and returned to our "hotel" every night, in time for dinner. To us, it was perfect.

Beats the heck out of moving from port to port on that little island.

Hamilton was nice to visit but we found it a little too congested. Also like you said if you want to go to the beach or go sightseeing you have to travel. I just checked 4 major cruise lines and it looks like docking in Hamilton is a thing of the past. The cruises that I looked at out of New York, New Jersey and Baltimore all go to Kings Wharf and stay there. Kings Wharf is very nice as they have spent a lot of money fixing it up. They have a very nice private beach, shopping areas and restaurants. When did you go to Bermuda?
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S
Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
Hamilton was nice to visit but we found it a little too congested. Also like you said if you want to go to the beach or go sightseeing you have to travel. I just checked 4 major cruise lines and it looks like docking in Hamilton is a thing of the past. The cruises that I looked at out of New York, New Jersey and Baltimore all go to Kings Wharf and stay there. Kings Wharf is very nice as they have spent a lot of money fixing it up. They have a very nice private beach, shopping areas and restaurants. When did you go to Bermuda?
We've been to Bermuda three times - and I was surprised to discover, looking through my pictures, that the trip I'm referring to, was in September of 2004.

Seems like yesterday!

You're right about Hamilton being congested, but it was a nice and easy place to "come home to".

My wife reminded me that the reason that our ship stayed docked in downtown Hamilton was that there were ships at both King's Wharf and St. George that couldn't leave Bermuda because of the storm I mentioned. They were going to New York and Canada and the storm was northwest of us.

We did enjoy our stay, and the storm had died out before it was time for us to return home - so it was smooth sailing back to Norfolk, VA, where Celebrity was docking its Bermuda trips at the time.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Jack...I looked at Tripadvisor reviews for the Elbow Beach. Seems iffy - the main hotel appears to be closed, so the rooms they have are in the cottages (they are really a block of 4-6 rooms in one building). Poor housekeeping seems to be the main complaint on Tripadvisor...though the good to excellent posts outweigh the bad. I can't quite discern a pattern re: time, either - even in July of this year, there are good and bad (I assume those were for recent stays, not someone putting in a review 2 years after they stayed there).

I'm sure it was fun to watch the World Cup with the locals - we have had similar experiences dropping in watch an F1 race when in Europe.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM

Jack,

I have been to Bermuda about eight times in the past 15 years. 6 cruises and two fly- ins. For Southhampton you might what to check on the Fairmont Princess. I stayed at the one in Hamilton and they had excellent accommodations and fantastic service.
You are right on with the Frog and Onion Pub at King's Wharf. They had the best local brewed pale ale I haver ever had. Too bad you can only get it there. Also, the best fish chowder on the island!

McIntosh MC1.2KW Amps (3)
McIntosh MC207 Amp
McIntosh XRT1K Mains, XCS1K Center, HT30-OW Surrounds
Dual JL Audio F212 Subs
Marantz AV7706 Processor
Sony VPL-XW6000ES Projector
Stewart FilmScreen 130" StudioTek 130
Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra,
Wireworld Oasis 7 Cables
Richard Gray Power Company Powerhouse

Last edited by Hawk; 08-23-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Jack,

I have been to Bermuda about eight times in the past 15 years. 6 cruises and two fly- ins. For Southhampton you might what to check on the Fairmont Princess. I stayed at the one in Hamilton and they had excellent accommodations and fantastic service.
You are right on with the Frog and Onion Pub at King's Wharf. They had the best local brewed pale ale I haver ever had. Too bad you can only get it there. Also, the best fish chowder on the island!
We had a great brunch at the Southampton Princess - it was a very elegant hotel. I think they have water shuttle service over to Hamilton. But I think it's not quite beachfront - across the street and down a bit ?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Audio Enthusiast

John, I think I will steer clear of Elbow and stop by when I'm there and check it out. The Fairmont Southhampton looks nice and I think they run a shuttle from the hotel down to the beach.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S