AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Don't forget Nathan's

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 AM

Carnegie's Deli for great sandwiches especially the pastrami

Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 AM

For a superbe dinner, go to Gramercy Tavern. Gramercy Tavern This would be a first choice restaurant.

Make a reservation long in advance, and sit in the BACK DINING ROOM. The food is the same as the front, but the back dining room is absolutely elegant. The food is wonderful.

I'm also a Bobby Flay fan, so I recommend Bar Americain. Bar Americain - New York Restaurant - Mohegan Sun Restaurant - Bobby Flay

The food there is fantastic also. I was there one time with my daughter and while ordering desert, she wanted to try something new, but hesitated because she wasn't sure she would like it. She flatly said to the waiter "what if I don't like it?" and the waiter said if my daughter didn't like it, she would take it back into the kitchen and eat it herself! Suffice it to say, the dessert was a hit! Everything there is great and the waiters are given tastes of everything on the menu so they can describe all the dishes to the guests.

Nathan's has to be the one at Coney Island, not any other location.

Go to the Upper West Side and visit Zabars. It's a food orgy. http://www.zabars.com/

Eataly is a food mega orgy. http://eatalyny.com/

Broadway: Wicked--significant on so many levels of politics and philosophy, it ISN'T the Wizard of Oz. Possibly the best musical of all time.

Lion King is a superb production. Despite the fact that every character on stage is clearly recognizeable as a person wearing a costume, you buy into it anyway.

Book of Mormon. Absolutely hilarious, wonderfully irreverent. (I detest political correctness.)

In addition to the stereo stores Joe mentioned, I would add Sound By Singer to the list.

Museum of Natural History
Lincoln Center/Avery Fisher Hall/NY Philharmonic
Statue of Liberty

Last edited by GaryProtein; 05-02-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM

Not sure what your taste is, lodging wise, or how long you'll be in NYC (perhaps I missed that). You might want to plan your hotel based on the places you want to visit, but then again, everything in Manhattan (and I assume that's the focus, rather than the outer boroughs, where there is some excellent food) is a walk or subway ride away (cab if you must).

Not sure if you want to accumulate or use hotel points, if not -
if you want an urban, (large) boutique kind of place, consider Soho Grand, Tribeca Grand (same owners and pet friendly). They are, as the name implies, downtown. They've got an app as well which shows what's going on in the city. Soho is no longer the artist's quarter, but there is a lot of fine
shopping and dining there. Hey, head over to Dean and Deluca and have them assemble of couple of to-go orders and have a picnic in Central Park.

Soho Grand Hotel » New York, NY » The Original SoHo Boutique Hotel.

Check out the schedule at the Blue Note for an intimate setting for music. They have a variety, but the emphasis is jazz and blues. I've seen Manhattan Transfer there, Leo Kottke, and I see Pat Martino is there later this month.
Blue Note Jazz Club New York

I'll give a +5 to Joe's recommendation for Union Square cafe. I call it modern American with a Tuscan soul...but make reservations way in advance.

This thread reminds me I need to update my personal list of places of interest in NY. Stay tuned.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Back on music - I haven't been to the "new" Iridium since it moved from Lincoln Center area to Time Square, but it might be worth checking the schedule. Same for "Birdland," also in Times Square area. It seems anything there starts to feel a little over produced and too calculated, too "themed" but you might catch a good show at either. I think their
acts are more varied, not just jazz and blues.

Ah for the old days - I saw Les Paul and John Scofield at the old Iridium, even got Les's autograph, talked about guitars and players for few minutes.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM

JohnK..that a great idea to check out some of the other places to stay, no points being used between Omni or Hilton I haven't stayed long enough this year for a free night.

GaryProtein: yes we are Bobby Flay fans, loved his place n Vegas

Howie : Gotta check out carnegies deli ,pastrami looks awesome

thanks everyone for the ideas this is shaping up to be a awesome time

What about a tour to McIntosh labs ? rent a car drive up

Last edited by Mac Brown; 05-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

I'll second the suggestion to go see Wicked. It's a great show.

I would also say try to do a tour of Grand Central Station.

For a great view of the city, go to the Top Of The Rock.

Central Park is a great place to wander around. Bring your camera.

And of course, you have to get a pretzel, roasted peanuts, or a Sabrett's hot dog from one of the street vendors.

For food we like to check out places over in Hell's Kitchen.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Best espresso and cannoli still belongs to Ferrera.

Seconded to Eatly - it is the mega orgy of anything Italian.

Sushi still belongs to Yasuda, even though the master himself is no longer there.

Carnegie Deli is definitely epic - but sometimes the line is also epic. If so, try the Stage Deli a block south - same quality/quantity but usually a bit less of a line.

As someone already mentioned - best slice of cheesecake still belongs to Juniors, of which there are (I think) 2 locales in Manhattan now.

I really enjoyed Ben Bensons for a solid steak the last time I was in town - and they have a decent wine list that doesn't overly rape you like most other places in NYC will.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

I also forgot Chelsea Market, and High Line Park, which is an old elevated rail line they converted to a park.

Also, get a subway map. It's very easy to use that system, and you'll get from point A to B in quick time. It's a New York experience for sure.

An out of the ordinary thing we did recently was to go to the Tenement Museum. They are located at 103 Orchard Street.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
The Eagles are back.

Surely one cannot go to NYC without visiting Yankee Stadium. If the Yanks are home, go see a baseball game. Also make sure to visit monument park which is just beyond the center field wall.