AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrfulpete02 View Post
I've really been enjoying the Ma252/Kef ls50 combo; being said that it is a "gateway" mc product...I just bit and bought another mc product...maybe through the back gate though...its a nice MC2505.
Another fan of the MA252 and McIntosh's first solid-state amp with meters, the MC2505. My intro to stereo 'high-end' was an MC2505 with an MX110 and a pair of large Altec horns (don't recall which ones). I do remember what a big step up it was from the mono tube amp with a single Bozak my uncle had at the time.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-10-2018, 06:46 PM

Hello, all! First post from a new member...

I also have a pair of LS 50s (brand new) that need a new amp. As my system is in a rather small room now (11 x 12 x 8), I am thinking of downsizing everything to gain space. The first to go were the old Acoustat Spectra 11s. The next to go will be the "arc-welder" amp used to drive them. The 252 looks like a winner.

Question: has anyone critically evaluated the phono stage yet? If it's really superlative (for the price), I think my search is done...
Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Unionista...Welcome to AA!
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Does anyone have details about the circuit in the MA252? How are the tubes used in the pre amp? 2 for pre gain? 2 for tone controls? Or is the second pair of tubes used for the phono stage? Difficult to get the facts based on the current media out there. by the waythis review in French shows a massive R-Core transfomer
Old 04-11-2018, 01:49 PM

WOW. 5,000 Euros!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffoc View Post
Does anyone have details about the circuit in the MA252? How are the tubes used in the pre amp? 2 for pre gain? 2 for tone controls? Or is the second pair of tubes used for the phono stage?
From the description on the McIntosh website it appears that all the tubes are used in preamp line stage rather than any in the phono-stage. In the Power Guard description it states that the two tubes in whatever channel the Power Guard is triggered on will flash amber until the clipping clears. While not definitive, seems it would not do so if were in the phono-stage.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffoc View Post
Does anyone have details about the circuit in the MA252? How are the tubes used in the pre amp? 2 for pre gain? 2 for tone controls? Or is the second pair of tubes used for the phono stage? Difficult to get the facts based on the current media out there. by the waythis review in French shows a massive R-Core transfomer
WHATEVER the magic is....I can tell you I love mine. :-)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionista View Post
Hello, all! First post from a new member...

I also have a pair of LS 50s (brand new) that need a new amp. As my system is in a rather small room now (11 x 12 x 8), I am thinking of downsizing everything to gain space. The first to go were the old Acoustat Spectra 11s. The next to go will be the "arc-welder" amp used to drive them. The 252 looks like a winner.

Question: has anyone critically evaluated the phono stage yet? If it's really superlative (for the price), I think my search is done...
Sorry didn't use the phono, all my source are digital, but so far my listening experience is getting better and better each day with the MA252 and LS50. a bit more bass could be better but the high and mid so sweet after 10 hours of run in. I wish I still have my R900 to compare.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berman002 View Post
Sorry didn't use the phono, all my source are digital, but so far my listening experience is getting better and better each day with the MA252 and LS50. a bit more bass could be better but the high and mid so sweet after 10 hours of run in. I wish I still have my R900 to compare.
Maybe try a small sub such as a REL T5? I love mine. Except with the grandest of floor standers, I'd never go without one.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 PM

Default Anyone tube roll yet?

Am wondering if McIntosh's are worth having their tubes swapped out. I have a bunch of CV4024s lying around and may give that a go. CV4004s are expensive and seems like would make a good match to the CV4024.

Anyone here with experience tube rolling McIntoshs?