AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM

I think the ET5 is a considerable upgrade from the pr16. Another event better option would be to hunt down an ACT2. Many including myself believe that it is one of cj's best preempt ever. They rarely appear used but when they do they are around $5k. A great deal.
The lp275 is a great amp but you can do much better than the pr16 for much less if you do not need that much power. LP70 and LP125 come to mind.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM

I thought the problem with the 16 was it was dark and soft. Lacked a lot of inner detail.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
Mark
I know your comment was directed at Shane. Since you are in the US I would strongly recommend that you look out for a used GAT on Agon. It's only slightly more expensive than the ET 5 !!
Cheers
I'd love to join the ranks of you GATors but I fear that will probably be in another life . Now a used ET5, being it's actually cheaper than upgrading my Premier 16 (after I sell the 16 that is), well that's something I might even be able to justify with the wife

Next step might be trying to find one to listen to.

Last edited by Marco1; 04-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Sunny boy1956

Mark
Some interesting CJ amps on Agon including 2 pairs of LP 140 mono blocks and the LP 275 that Shane mentioned.
All the best
Rockport Aviors, Conrad Johnson GAT, Wavac HE 833 V2, Nagra VPS, Lyra Atlas,Miyajima Premium BE Mono and Ortofon Silver Meister SPU, Durrand Talea2 tonearm and Ortofon 309D, TW Acustics AC with Black Night motor + PSU and Garrard 401.Musical Fidelity kw 25 dac + transport.REL G1 x2. Shunyata Triton.Mytek 192 DSD DAC. All cables Cardas Golden Reference.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
I thought the problem with the 16 was it was dark and soft. Lacked a lot of inner detail.
Try it with some NOS Telefunkens. Listen to a drumstick hitting a cymbal or a classical guitarist pluck a nylon string. You'll feel the texture of his finger tips touching the string, the guitar top vibrating. You'll hear lots of inner detail.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanji View Post
Try it with some NOS Telefunkens. Listen to a drumstick hitting a cymbal or a classical guitarist pluck a nylon string. You'll feel the texture of his finger tips touching the string, the guitar top vibrating. You'll hear lots of inner detail.
+1
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Tough question Mark.

I have not heard the et5, however I think it is further away from the GAT, than the 16 was from the ART. The 16 is that good.

If it were me, I would buy the lp275's that are currently on gon. That is an absolute bargain and will imo give you the best upgrade, sound quality wise.

Not sure if I have helped any.
Hmmmm. Not sure that I need all that power. Currently use Merlins and the 60w from my Premier 12xs with EL34's is pretty much ideal. Now once I get those big Wilsons like you , the lp275's will definitely be the ticket .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
I think the ET5 is a considerable upgrade from the pr16. Another event better option would be to hunt down an ACT2. Many including myself believe that it is one of cj's best preempt ever. They rarely appear used but when they do they are around $5k. A great deal.
The lp275 is a great amp but you can do much better than the pr16 for much less if you do not need that much power. LP70 and LP125 come to mind.
That's what I was wondering about the ET5, thanks. My concern is whether it will be too neutral, like the CT 5 (which I don't care for as much as my 16) and will get me too far away from the older CJ sound.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
Mark
Some interesting CJ amps on Agon including 2 pairs of LP 140 mono blocks and the LP 275 that Shane mentioned.
All the best
Got me thinking now. How do you like your lp70? That would probably make the most sense for me now.

Quote:

I recently put a set of Telefunken 7jd8 in my 16 (thanks for the recommendation Joe). Now just to show how twisted my logic can be, I could buy a used ET5 and lp70, sell the 16 and 12's, save the cost of the upgrades for both and be money ahead, not have to go through the torture of breaking in new Teflon, and have two spare Tele's for a rainy day. Maybe not so twisted at that .
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
Got me thinking now. How do you like your lp70? That would probably make the most sense for me now.

I recently put a set of Telefunken 7jd8 in my 16 (thanks for the recommendation Joe). Now just to show how twisted my logic can be, I could buy a used ET5 and lp70, sell the 16 and 12's, save the cost of the upgrades for both and be money ahead, not have to go through the torture of breaking in new Teflon, and have two spare Tele's for a rainy day. Maybe not so twisted at that .
You're welcome, Marco. I found the Telefunken 7DJ8s in the 16 to be clean and neutral without sounding sterile. It's a very good match.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Do you find Teles last in your cj gear? I used ECC83s in the TEA1bc and none lasted more than six months
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.