AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

The P350 manual is now in my previous post above... thanks Stephen for the "how to."
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Great to read. As much as I do like the Pr.350, I'm pulling the plug. This sale I may really regret, but I know the next owner will really appreciate it.
Joe,

If I understand your decision, c-j's $7K, 10+ year old, solid state technology doesn't quite match up to your more modern, $20K and $40K European amp companies specializing in SS products. Go figure. Guess you get something for all that extra cash. Glad you liked the P350 as well as you did considering the competition.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Hi Bob,

It's a great amp no doubt. But yes, I prefer my other amps. Sorry.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Joe,

I guess that's my point... your other amps, one of which is also mono block, are three to six times as expensive. They darn well should be better.

Good listening,
Bob
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy
Joe,

I guess that's my point... your other amps, one of which is also mono block, are three to six times as expensive. They darn well should be better.

Good listening,
Bob
Bob,

Higher price does not always mean better sound.
At this level, it could be possible to prefer the CJ. to the Dart or the 911's.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommark View Post
Joe,

I wonder who the next lucky owner will be of your magnificent amp...

Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Premier 350 update:

I'm up to 350 hours on the clock now, and the Premier 350 continues to improve, getting better and better. Overall presentation is smoother, more musical and sweeter. Presently running it with the Premier 17 preamp as I haven't heard it with that since the day I bought it in July. The Era D4s sound absolutely amazing with this combination; you would never guess such a big sound was coming from such small boxes.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Cool, calm scientist

An update on the Premier 350:

I've stopped tracking the hours on the Premier 350 after I got past 500 hours on the clock, but I think I would post an update as it's been about 3 months since my last update.

I've been listening this system almost exclusively all that time, with excursions to the Pr17/LP70S system, but coming back to the CT-5/Pr350 combination.

In particular, I think the system has made another jump in performance. The overall impression is one of incredibly low noise levels ('course part of the very low noise levels are due in no small part in powering it with a Shunyata Triton and Zitron power cable) with a very sweet and musical presentation that at the same time has superb transparency, imaging, musicality, naturalness of presentation, and soundstaging with ridiculous levels of power and dynamics and tight, well-defined bass control. I think the 350 watts per channel rating is very conservative on this amplifier. To hear Ella Fitzgerald voice sing "Tenderly" or "April in Paris" in 24/96 on the wonderful "Ella and Louis" album is an experience that can give you goosebumps. This system does voices that well. Don't get me wrong the LP70S and Premier 17 sound, quite simply, superb, but this combination has a "you-are-there" presence that is borderline astonishing at times.

Continued uncertainties about my employment situation may dictate which of these systems I will ultimately keep, but if that not were a concern, I'd be keeping the CT-5 and Premier 350. I think the Premier 350 is one of the GREAT amplifiers ever made...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-29-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
An update on the Premier 350:

Continued uncertainties about my employment situation may dictate which of these systems I will ultimately keep, but if that not were a concern, I'd be keeping the CT-5 and Premier 350. I think the Premier 350 is one of the GREAT amplifiers ever made...
I know what you mean about the employment situation. I'm glad the CT-5/RP350 combo is working out. Do you think it's still improving?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomeint View Post
I know what you mean about the employment situation. I'm glad the CT-5/RP350 combo is working out. Do you think it's still improving?
Hi Rob,
Yes, I think the two are still improving. Someone here who also has a CT-5 said it took 1800 hours for their CT-5 to burn in to become a world-class preamp, so I think the two will continue to improve. It certainly seems so anyway. I guess the proof is in the pudding, because I have two absolutely wonderful C-J systems here to listen to, but when I go to flip one on, it's the CT-5/Pr350 combination.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-29-2013 at 04:36 AM.