AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-14-2023, 11:03 PM

Default Ethernet Switches

What’s your take on these things? Any recommendations.
How about the EtherREGEN?
Old 01-15-2023, 12:12 AM

Ethernet is very far removed from actual musical signals.

By all means, get a reliable switch. But EtherREGEN is successfully solving a problem that does not need solving.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.10232/
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-15-2023 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:58 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtraheadroom View Post
What’s your take on these things? Any recommendations.
They're really important when used for streaming music from a networked music server. A good switch will reduce and/or mitigate low- and high-source impendance leakage current as well as not contribute to, or if it's clock is good enough, actually reduce phase noise. Also, the power supply for switches is critical as the standard SMPS used for powering switches has a really big negative impact on audio quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtraheadroom View Post
How about the EtherREGEN?
The EtherREGEN is out of production because they can no longer source an FPGA they need at an affordable cost with respect to their BOM due the pandemic-induced chip supply chain issues. Your best bet, presently, for performance per dollar is the SOtM sNH-10G with sCK-EX clock board.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:03 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Ethernet is very far removed from actual musical signals.

By all means, get a reliable switch. But EtherREGEN is successfully solving a problem that does not need solving.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.10232/
Most respecfully, that simply not true, ER provides a signficant improvement to audio quality when using in a streaming setup.

Read this white paper by John Swenson, who designed the EtherREGEN. Swenson worked for the better part of 40 years an Ethernet EE for Broadcom and Cisco. He has considerable professional expertise in this domain.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1583429386

And, also respectfully, but ASR has it's head up it's collective *ss. For example, they recently "tested' a power cord, and...they didn't even plug it in. Those guys are as bad for "science" as Lamarck was...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-15-2023 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Most respecfully, that simply not true, ER provides a signficant improvement to audio quality when using in a streaming setup.

Read this white paper by John Swenson, who designed the EtherREGEN. Swenson worked for the better part of 40 years an Ethernet EE for Broadcom and Cisco. He has considerable professional expertise in this domain.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1583429386

And, also respectfully, but ASR has it's head up it's collective *ss. For example, they recently "tested' a power cord, and...they didn't even plug it in. Those guys are as bad for "science" as Lamarck was...
Hey Stephen - up a bit late on the East Coast, about to call it. How are the rains by you? My sister (Mtn View) is very worried about the redwoods on their property.

I did read read the paper from John Swenson - all excellent engineering points. But no measurements. Amir (who has similar tech credentials as John) at least measures things (well maybe not power cords )

The EtherREGEN operates in an area (data transmission) where measurements can tell the story -so go ahead and measure it. That is my issue.

I am certain it works as designed - just not certain it is needed.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-15-2023 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:40 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hey Stephen - up a bit late on the East Coast, about to call it. How are the rains by you? My sister (Mtn View) is very worried about the redwoods on their property.

I did read read the paper from John Swenson - all excellent engineering points. But no measurements. Amir (who has similar tech credentials as John) at least measures things (well maybe not power cords )

The EtherREGEN operates in an area (data transmission) where measurements can tell the story -so go ahead and measure it. That is my issue.

I am certain it works as designed - just not certain it is needed.
Hi!

Have you ever heard first-hand the impact EtherREGEN has when placed into a networked or streaming-based system? It's not subtle at all...

And...when you connect it's ground terminal to an Altaira, it gets significantly better.

With respect to "measurements", the human brain, when perceiving music, is not a spectrum analyzer, as much as Amir would like folks to believe. Amir in is the the now-debunked camp that Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review was in in the late 70's and early 80s. Julian Hirsch, of Hirsch-Houck Labs, which did the the testing for Stereo Review, used to think that the measurements he did in his lab back in the day, were all that mattered. His tests of an ARC D-76A tube amp were not as good as the "reference amp" of the day, with respect to "measurements", the Crown DC-300. But...J. Gordon Holt of Stereophile (and everyone else that actually listened to music on each amp) knew full well which amp one folks would rather use to listen to...MUSIC. The ARC D-76A.

The human brain, when perceiving music, is not a spectrum analyzer.

Ask Nelson about this...he knows.

Cheers.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-15-2023 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:50 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

The D76A was a wonderfull amp and highly sought after. Try the Nordost switch, expensive, but it works!!! I love the it's just ones and zeroes argument. The digital data stream, in reality, is an RF signal.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:28 AM

My last post on this topic. I have no doubt the high end switches work very well.

But try this simple, free, and harmless experiment:

Start a stream. Unplug the ethernet cable from the streamer or bridge. How much longer does the music continue? Does it sound any different? In my case about 4-5 seconds with a simple SotM Neo into a Chord DAC. A better streamer could provide significantly more buffering (time).

The point is, there is a long path from receiving and decoding an Ethernet data packet and the signal reaching your amplifier. I do not believe any of the uber-engineering behind these well-made switches is genuinely needed. On a limited budget, I would invest elsewhere. Of course, there are junk components out there.

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-15-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

And there you have it; on this technically mysterious audio hobby of ours.

My opinion, and experience has been everything matters YMMV. Even right down to the humidity in your sound room.

For anyone that would like to visit me in Cape Cod; I can lift a simple ground wire on my Altaira and the sound stage nearly collapses.

Ridiculous; but true.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 01-15-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:38 PM

You don’t even need an Altaira to easily hear a difference. An Altaira is on my to-do/to-get list but I don’t have one yet. I got an EtherRegen and could hear a difference that I confirmed by taking it out and listening. Then I experimented by making a $5 home made ground wire with #10 Home Depot braided wire and hand-crimped on spades amd conmected the ER’s ground tap to my Sh. Hydra Sigma S12’s ground tap and the difference was what I describe as a “light switch” difference. It was more than a component upgrade change- and repeatable. Of course YMMV.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.