AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:24 PM

Default Roon acquired by Harman

Press release.

HARMAN Acquires Roon, a popular Multi-Device, Multi-Room Audio Technology Platform
Roon’s Audiophile-Quality Music Aggregation, Connectivity and Streaming Technology to Complement HARMAN’s Comprehensive Audio Offerings

STAMFORD, CT – November 27, 2023 – HARMAN, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. focused on connected technologies for automotive, consumer, and enterprise markets, today announced the acquisition of Roon, the music management, discovery, and streaming platform for music enthusiasts.

Roon is a music player platform for music enthusiasts, which features a rich interface for browsing and discovering music, compatibility with almost any audio device, and a playback engine designed to deliver the best possible sound. Roon is available for all popular operating systems and manufactures a line of hardware server appliances called Nucleus.

“At HARMAN we take great pride in our ability to create exceptional audio experiences for our partners and consumers around the world,” said Dave Rogers, President, Lifestyle Division, HARMAN. “The team at Roon shares our passion in bringing exceptional sound and connectivity to music lovers as they browse, discover, and listen at home and on the go. We are looking forward to welcoming Roon, whose impressive talent will join the HARMAN family and bolster our already robust engineering capabilities.”

Roon will operate as a standalone Harman business with its existing team. All Roon operations will stay in place and continue to be dedicated to serving and growing Roon’s community of device partners and customers, under a joint mission to deliver engaging and personalized audio experiences across a universe of products and platforms.

Aligned with its ‘work with all’ strategy, HARMAN is committed to growing Roon’s open device ecosystem which includes collaborating with more than 160 other audio brands, delivering audio to more than 1000 high-performance devices. Roon’s dedication to its loyal community and its exceptional UI/UX design expertise will continue to expand and flourish with the acquisition.

“Our team is ecstatic to join HARMAN, a visionary company that has been leading the audio industry forward for decades,” said Enno Vandermeer, CEO of Roon. “By combining forces with HARMAN, Roon gains the incredible scale, resources, and reach of a global technology leader, while maintaining our independence to invest in the business’s growth and future. We look forward to continuing to bring our advanced data management, SaaS expertise, and consumer engagement capabilities to our broad ecosystem of partners, as we join forces with HARMAN to deliver even greater audio experiences to our customers.”
Main System: Sf Amati Tradition, B&W DB1 sub, McIntosh C2300, MC501s, MA12000, MCD500, HiFi Rose RS150B, Oppo 105, Niagara 5000, AQ Tornado/Thunder/Blizzard PCs, Robin Hood BiWire (zero+bass), Gibraltar SCs, Water ICs, Cinnamon RJ/E, Solidsteel HF-3 racks.
2nd System: Sf Cremona Auditor M, McIntosh C50, MC275(VI), MA6600, Node 2i, Oppo 95, AQ NRG-4 PCs, Robin Hood Zero SC, Cobra/Nordost Heimdall ICs.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:11 PM
Listener in Training

It will be interesting to see what they do with Roon, and I hope they don't mess it up, as can happen with mergers and acquisitions. Roon has had some software glitches over time, but is definitely a go-to as my gateway to most of my streaming.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 11-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
It will be interesting to see what they do with Roon, and I hope they don't mess it up, as can happen with mergers and acquisitions. Roon has had some software glitches over time, but is definitely a go-to as my gateway to most of my streaming.
Amen to what you've said.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-29-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
+1

Exactly my thoughts. Finally, I have a platform where I have spent plenty
of time to organize my database. I hope they keep it going forward and not
sideways (or backwards!).
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:02 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

We have a Taiko Extreme. Though it uses what is called XDMS it depends somewhat on Roon too. I hope the SQ doesn’t change for the worst. Who knows Harmon may roll out better updates for music.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:25 PM

What is the value proposition of Roon for an audiophile who doesn't own a collection of digital music or CDs?

Better Tidal/Qobuz sound and new music algorithm? I've read arguments for and against...though mostly have been positive.

An always-on-ethernet connected, low cost Core/Server, added monthly or lifetime subscription can add up negative points especially if listening habits don't take advantage of Roon features.

Would love to hear from Roon/former users, appreciate any feedback.
Main System: Sf Amati Tradition, B&W DB1 sub, McIntosh C2300, MC501s, MA12000, MCD500, HiFi Rose RS150B, Oppo 105, Niagara 5000, AQ Tornado/Thunder/Blizzard PCs, Robin Hood BiWire (zero+bass), Gibraltar SCs, Water ICs, Cinnamon RJ/E, Solidsteel HF-3 racks.
2nd System: Sf Cremona Auditor M, McIntosh C50, MC275(VI), MA6600, Node 2i, Oppo 95, AQ NRG-4 PCs, Robin Hood Zero SC, Cobra/Nordost Heimdall ICs.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogear View Post
What is the value proposition of Roon for an audiophile who doesn't own a collection of digital music or CDs?

Better Tidal/Qobuz sound and new music algorithm? I've read arguments for and against...though mostly have been positive.

Regular Roon user here -
If you don't have a digital library, the Roon value proposition is certainly lowered.

On the other hand, Roon excels at creating real-time playlists based on a single artist or even song. This is my most frequent use of Roon - select an artist or album, most often something I have in the library, then turn on Roon Radio. Has led to many artists I was not familiar with.

Not sure how the other music services do in this regard - Spotify, etc.

Have you tried the trial subscription?
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:27 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:

An always-on-ethernet connected, low cost Core/Server, added monthly or lifetime subscription can add up negative points especially if listening habits don't take advantage of Roon features.

To build on CL’s post which I agree with, the only value ROON would bring to someone without their own digital library would be to those who stream Qobuz or Tidal. The ROON interface is agnostic to whether your digital library is made of files you own on a hard drive or it is made up of music you have highlighted / saved from one of those streaming services. It doesn’t matter where the media exists. Your hard drive or their cloud…

If you don’t listen to any digital music, then ROON has zero value to you.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-31-2023, 01:48 AM

For me, Roon Radio is the value proposition.

I don’t listen to my old collection (though Roon has it). Everything is streamed through Qobuz (set as pref) and Tidal — I never bother with what/where music is. Wish they could get more streaming services (a downside). I like the artist info right at the music instead of going to another app.

Quote:

Old 12-31-2023, 06:02 AM

Thank you gents! I’m currently running Tidal streaming. I have an M1 Mac Pro 16 and unused/dedicated i3 (8th gen, 8 ram) laptop I can use as a core/server. I suppose a Roon trial is in order to examine whether it fits my listening habits. I’m a bit hesitant adding another layer/always connected & on PC to the audio chain though the exploring new music and Roon Radio features intrigue me.

Subjective question, has anyone experienced a decreased/increased in audio quality using Roon with Tidal/Qobuz? Are you using the Roon DSP?