AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Clearaudio

Clearaudio Loving Music

Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 PM

I’ve found that on my unipivot (Wand Master 12”) the VTF varies quite a fair bit with the thickness of the record. Is that the case with the VPI?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
I'd say your Dealer clearly wants to sell you a Clearaudio. There are no problems with the VPI arms, maybe they just don't know how to setup a Unipivot properly and sold tables to customers who don't have the necessary experience to be using one. VPI is offering their Gimbaled arm now as an option on most tables for customers who want or need a plug-n-play experience. I've owned the Satisfy arm and it has its own quirks.

Sorry for the rant but dealers with their own agenda are the reason this hobby is dying.
Not really he recommended the EAT C-Sharp w/the Jos No.5 cart w/the white color. It was $500 cheaper than the Black EAT plus it had a better cart. It was my choice on the Clearaudio he never mentioned it. He has been servicing VPI, and Linn for over 25 years. Apparently VPI is having some production issues w/the current batch of tonearms. The arm comes up when going half way through a record. They changed vendors on a certain part which may be the problem.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I’ve found that on my unipivot (Wand Master 12”) the VTF varies quite a fair bit with the thickness of the record. Is that the case with the VPI?
That's an interesting question. I'll measure a few LPs today and let you know what I find out with my VPI JMW9Sig.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

My floor is cement and I have a very heavy Audio rack for the TT. Would there be any advantage to adding an Isolation platform??
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Have had a Clearaudio Emotion SE for a few months, really like the sound. Cart is actually a Performer V2 at the moment!

Do you lads think it'd make sense to upgrade to the Perf or not really worth the expenditure. Maybe better to save for something a bit further up the line up if the difference/improvement is not as significant?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 PM

Save for the Innovation
Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Wifey not gonna like this!
Old 12-13-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Have had a Clearaudio Emotion SE for a few months, really like the sound. Cart is actually a Performer V2 at the moment!

Do you lads think it'd make sense to upgrade to the Perf or not really worth the expenditure. Maybe better to save for something a bit further up the line up if the difference/improvement is not as significant?
There were some significant improvements introduced in the newer line since the Emotion - e.g. CMB bearings and delrin platters. Plus there have been improvements worked into this line over the years, like the DC motor in the Performance, better tonearm models, and other less visible improvements. So I'd guess that something like a new Performance DC Wood with a Tracer arm (or better) would represent a substantial upgrade.

But if you're willing to wait and go further, why not look at the Ovation? It's a lovely table - I auditioned one with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze some years ago (great combo). It seems the main advantage the lower-positioned Innovations (Basic, Compact) have over the Ovation is the ability to run 2 tonearms, so if that's not of interest then the Ovation may represent something of a sweet spot in the lineup. Plus, if you do go for the standard 2-tier Innovation Wood, it's a slippery slope of temptation toward wanting to double it up into a Master Innovation. I really enjoy my Master Innovation a lot over my old Innovation Wood, but to be fair they'd upgraded the pulley by then, and I hugely upgraded my rack at the same time to a CMS Maxxum. The Innovation Compact is quite nice too; hearing that model at my dealer's is what started me down this track.

As for the VPI/Unipivot debate - I have a Graham Phantom Supreme that runs like a dream, but really it's more of a hybrid unipivot. That's how a unipivot should be done, IMO. The alignment jig works brilliantly, and ALL major adjustments are the easiest and most precise/repeatable I've ever experienced on a tonearm. Cons: the damping fluid gets a little fiddly, the anti-skate isn't very strong or effective (though it's better to under anti-skate than to over), and Graham support can be very hard to get in contact with - those are my only small complaints. I've heard my friend complain about his VPI unipivot's azimuth/counterweight adjustment, and I'd never want anything to do with that - maybe that's improved with newer models. But I also never heard of any Graham wands sagging or bending over time - best not to be an early adopter with that brand

Last edited by mulveling; 12-13-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Thanks mulveling. Mine is the Emotion Second Edition, I suppose a bit better developed than the original.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Need some advice on cart for this table

I have on hand a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and a Clearaudio Stradivari. Any advice which one is better suited ?

I will use Naim superline with Naim pre power amps.

I prefer non aggressive warmer side of nuetral

Thanks

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2