AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 03-15-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Charles...thank you for your email. Appreciate the clarification very much. I have great respect for Mac for its entire brand history,..I thought long and hard about trying the MCD500 and later the 1100 after I heard them due to their wonderful sound qualty and value for the money aspects. When it came down to it, i simply prefer the sound of AKM and other DACs over Sabre. That does not however mean that I believe the 500 and 1100 are not great options at an unbelievably low and fair price!!!

As to my post or reaction as you call it...it was not bitter in the least, only posting an attempt at a factual response to clarify and to answer specific elements of your post and to help the OP towards resolution of his issue.

FWIW, I would have written the EXACT same text response and plugged in any other brand name in place of 'Mac' so your assumption on my post's contents, intent, ascribing an extremely negative emotion to it ( "bitter" ) are with respect, not correct. I am sorry you took it as Mac specific. I assure you, it is not!

Also FWIW, i read your post more than once and the context, within a thread with a question about another brand and a playback anomaly, and the sentence talking about true SACD support versus an afterthought seemed quite clear.

If I did not see your intent / meaning of those sentences in your post correctly, then you have an apology from me on this public thread!

Hope you are enjoying that fantastic system and speakers of yours!!! Would love to hear them some day!
Thank you! I was not referring to Esoteric. It is to Esoteric's credit that the CD player will even play an SACD. Certainly although just my opinion, all digital players should be engineered to play SACD as well as they play CD. But if you don't like SACD there are expensive rigs that won't play the format. One of the reasons I like Esoteric so much is that it truly embraces the SACD fromat. And thank you for your kind comments about my system. Much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you! I was not referring to Esoteric. It is to Esoteric's credit that the CD player will even play an SACD. Certainly although just my opinion, all digital players should be engineered to play SACD as well as they play CD. But if you don't like SACD there are expensive rigs that won't play the format. One of the reasons I like Esoteric so much is that it truly embraces the SACD fromat. And thank you for your kind comments about my system. Much appreciated.
+1 Charles,..good post!
Old 03-16-2020, 01:36 PM

will any sacd cd player ,used as a transport, send the super audio signal to be decoded by a high quality dac? using a dig coax?
Old 03-16-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael paul View Post
will any sacd cd player ,used as a transport, send the super audio signal to be decoded by a high quality dac? using a dig coax?
No they won't, since such digital transmission of the SACD (DSD) data is prohibited by licensing restrictions. Some companies offer companion SACD players along with a matching DSD capable DAC which transfer the data over a dedicated link but they're not generally compatible across brands. Some DACs like Bryston's BDA-3 have an HDMI input that accepts DSD data from a suitable SACD player with an HDMI output, but it doesn't handle SACD data via coaxial input.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael paul View Post

Digital coax will not work. The specs for SACD do not allow it.

The only connection that will pass native/unchanged DSD signals is USB.

It is possible, however, to send a DSD signal via HDMI. The process is called DoP (which stands for DSD over PCM) and it requires some behind-the-curtain tweaking to allow the PCM container to transmit the DSD signal.

So basically USB or HDMI are your only options.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:22 AM

thank you all for your responses!

happy listening!!