AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 12-01-2020, 09:33 PM

Default RCA Living Stereo 1950's commercial video

Cool.

https://youtu.be/f8y9lNGh2bM
Old 12-02-2020, 11:03 AM

"nothing short of a miracle" That phrase could still be used today to describe a small mid-bass driver that can reproduce a 50Hz and 2kHz frequency signal at the same time with no distortion.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
"nothing short of a miracle" That phrase could still be used today to describe a small mid-bass driver that can reproduce a 50Hz and 2kHz frequency signal at the same time with no distortion.
I've lived and am still living that miracle today.

I've owned 2 way speakers more times in my life than a multi driver or electrostatic panels. They have been the most coherent and engaging speakers (with some bass limitations easily rectified by a subwoofer). The 2 way speakers of today are night and day difference than those vintage console speaker in the commercial
Old 12-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

I've owned 2 way speakers more times in my life than a multi driver or electrostatic panels. They have been the most coherent and engaging speakers (with some bass limitations easily rectified by a subwoofer). The 2 way speakers of today are night and day difference than those vintage console speaker in the commercial
You might be interested in the new Sonus faber 2-way Maxima Amator speaker. "Thought previously impossible", they say they figured out a way to reproduce natural and fluid sound reproduction in a small 2-way design, in this case 35Hz to 2kHz. How now, my guess is Paolo Tezzon convinced Harry Houdini to come out of the grave to help him with designing the speaker motor assembly and crossover network.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
You might be interested in the new Sonus faber 2-way Maxima Amator speaker. "Thought previously impossible", they say they figured out a way to reproduce natural and fluid sound reproduction in a small 2-way design, in this case 35Hz to 2kHz. How now, my guess is Paolo Tezzon convinced Harry Houdini to come out of the grave to help him with designing the speaker motor assembly and crossover network.
I have lived with the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento stand mounted 2 way speakers for 3 years. I also "augmented" them with 2 JL Audio F112 subs. Trust me, the BASS was not an issue.

Those speakers however got down to 38 Hz clean before starting to sign off steeply and cleanly in that particular room. Don't forget, the speaker ratings are optimum ratings, not the speaker to room reality for most people. I never had to fight the BASS in the room though as the subwoofers were blended in by augmenting the speakers only where necessary and tunefully. It took me a few months to dial in both subs with meticulous listening and measuring. The response was better than any of the Full range speakers I have owned since.

My current Harbeth 2 way speakers have a very tuneful bass but they sign off around 32 Hz for all practical purposes in my large 30x30 room. There WILL be subs added. I just have not made a final decision as to which yet.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-02-2020 at 12:58 PM.