AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Sonictransporter

I’m currently running Minimserver on my NAS to serve my Linn network streamers. I love the flexibility of Minimserver but I’ve been trying out Roon for the access to more data. Since my NAS doesn’t have the horsepower to run Roon, I’m running Roon Server on a MacBook via Wi-Fi, which is less than ideal. I’m thinking about adding a Sonictransporter i5 to the system to run servers. Does anyone have experience with this arrangement, i.e. running Roon Server on a Sonictransporter connected to a switch, feeding streamers via Ethernet?

Also does anyone know how to back up a Sonictransporter? I’m thinking of either internal storage or an attached USB drive for my music, but I’d like to run a regular nightly backup routine to my NAS and can’t find any info on how to do this, or what apps can be added to the Sonictransporter.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 05-19-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Hi Tony -
I have a SonicTransporter i5 running Roon Server. It's connected to a (dumb) switch streaming to endpoints. Mostly Meridian (818, 218 and MS200). I am happy with this setup.

I back up the Roon database (metadata) to my QNAP NAS using a scheduled backup in Roon settings. To do so, I simply created a Shared Folder (SMB) on the QNAP and pointed Roon to it. Backing up the music from the SonicTransporter was a bit more involved. My ST has 2TB internal SSD, so similar to what you are looking at.

To back up the music to the QNAP I run a sync job on the QNAP that pull the music from the SMB share on the Sonictransporter. I see you have a Synology, so I'm not sure how it would work there but it's probably similar.

Soundserge
Old 05-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundserge View Post
Hi Tony -
I have a SonicTransporter i5 running Roon Server. It's connected to a (dumb) switch streaming to endpoints. Mostly Meridian (818, 218 and MS200). I am happy with this setup.

I back up the Roon database (metadata) to my QNAP NAS using a scheduled backup in Roon settings. To do so, I simply created a Shared Folder (SMB) on the QNAP and pointed Roon to it. Backing up the music from the SonicTransporter was a bit more involved. My ST has 2TB internal SSD, so similar to what you are looking at.

To back up the music to the QNAP I run a sync job on the QNAP that pull the music from the SMB share on the Sonictransporter. I see you have a Synology, so I'm not sure how it would work there but it's probably similar.

Soundserge

Thanks, that’s very helpful. So you have to pull it from the NAS rather than push from the Sonictransporter. I’ll see if there’s a way to do that from the Synology.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-19-2018, 05:24 PM

I am running Roon on a Sonictransporter i5 with 2TB of built in storage. My i5 sits next to my router and is hardwired ethernet. I have one long run of ethernet from my router closet to my 2-channel room which connects my Rossini to the network. It was relatively inexpensive plug and play and great support when you have a question.

There is a back-up to USB app that comes with the sonictransporter if you need that.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Thanks, that’s very helpful. So you have to pull it from the NAS rather than push from the Sonictransporter. I’ll see if there’s a way to do that from the Synology.
Yes, pull to the NAS. In fact, when I asked Andrew from SG Computer about backing up, this is what he recommended.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I am running Roon on a Sonictransporter i5 with 2TB of built in storage. My i5 sits next to my router and is hardwired ethernet. I have one long run of ethernet from my router closet to my 2-channel room which connects my Rossini to the network. It was relatively inexpensive plug and play and great support when you have a question.

There is a back-up to USB app that comes with the sonictransporter if you need that.

Thanks Jim.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 AM

Default NAS vs Sonictransporter

Similar situation - running Minimserver on a 2014 model Synology NAS. This works well enough, but the server cannot run Roon.

So:

- Can the Sonic transporter go directly to a DAC via USB? The Small green Computer website is not clear on this, but it always shows a microrendu in the chain.

- given that I have a NAS, why add storage on the Sonic Transporter? Another music copy in a remote location?

thanks for any insights!
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 05-20-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Similar situation - running Minimserver on a 2014 model Synology NAS. This works well enough, but the server cannot run Roon.

So:

- Can the Sonic transporter go directly to a DAC via USB? The Small green Computer website is not clear on this, but it always shows a microrendu in the chain.

- given that I have a NAS, why add storage on the Sonic Transporter? Another music copy in a remote location?

thanks for any insights!
If you have a NAS Roon will find your music there. You don not need to order the i5 unit with a built in drive.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post

Looking at my settings, I don't see any way to pipe audio out of the i5 via USB. The USB port seems to be only there for external storage. Andrew at SGC can confirm this.

You can absolutely keep your music on the NAS and have Roon Server on the ST i5 discover it. While I have a NAS, I am super paranoid about having extra moving parts and network connections as part of my music listening setup so I went with internal storage (all SSD even). Unnecessary? Perhaps. Does it give me peace of mind? Absolutely :-)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:36 PM

Default Sonic Transport

Thank you folks.
It is an nice piece of kit.
I will contact Andrew at SGC.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.