AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Smile Guttenberg and Alberto - Separated at Birth? (Tannoy)

All,

I see there was an earlier thread on this review of the Tannoy Kensington (not providing the reference because I don't think we're supposed to link to other threads? Or is that another forum I belong to? )...

Anyway, came across this one independently and felt the need to quote:

Quote:
the Kensington SE might be too much of a good thing. It's more delicious-sounding than any box or panel speaker I've heard in ages.
Now then, has anyone seen Steve Guttenberg and Alberto together? Are they one and same? Identical twins separated at birth?

Tannoy's old-school speaker tech wows audiophiles | The Audiophiliac - CNET News
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Chief Toneologist

John,

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that. It's great that the term delicious is being used by professional audio writers.

I should start "The Delicious Sound" audio magazine :-) ... right after I actually build the DelFor Uno:

Alberto
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Alberto,

I think you've solved a problem here - the manufacturers need to change the name of the controls from "Tone" to, well, something else!

Separately, I would be interested to learn of your experience in using tone controls (from your posts I am assuming judicious use of the treble control) on the preamp, balancing against the "Treble Energy / Rolloff" on the Tannoy. I guess much rests on the center frequency and width of the control...though in the speaker one is modifying the crossover, not adjusting a frequency band. Where are my University Audio Engineering texts?

Now if you build something with a slightly larger sweet spot, would it be the the DelFor Due? Or is the DelFor Uno a monoblock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
John,

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that. It's great that the term delicious is being used by professional audio writers.

I should start "The Delicious Sound" audio magazine :-) ... right after I actually build the DelFor Uno:

Alberto
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Alberto,

I think you've solved a problem here - the manufacturers need to change the name of the controls from "Tone" to, well, something else!

Separately, I would be interested to learn of your experience in using tone controls (from your posts I am assuming judicious use of the treble control) on the preamp, balancing against the "Treble Energy / Rolloff" on the Tannoy. I guess much rests on the center frequency and width of the control...though in the speaker one is modifying the crossover, not adjusting a frequency band. Where are my University Audio Engineering texts?

Now if you build something with a slightly larger sweet spot, would it be the the DelFor Due? Or is the DelFor Uno a monoblock?
John,

Truth be told, since I switched to the Shindo Cortese I haven't felt any - ANY - need for either tone controls or loudness. I have some theories as to why this is the case, but I am planning a separate post on that at some time.

Before the Cortese graced my system with oozing deliciousness, I used:

- treble control to tame harsh treble on some recordings,
- bass control to make thin recordings sound richer and more satisfying
- loudness to make low-volume listening sound richer and more satisfying

Nothing fancy, 100Hz shelf curve for the bass and 10Khz shelf curve for the treble.

Alberto

PS The fictitious Del Uno is a stereo device .