AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Would it be possible for you explain a grounding cable? I see it is plugged into the Cast input. Am I correct?
Yes that's right.
Actually I started to study electric engineering, but the life took me in another direction and I did not obtained any wide and deep knowledge in this subject. I'm not able to explain it like an engineer. Please correct me if I'm out of line here.
But I'll try.
It's something like this...

There is a ground for the high current electrical power in your house, It's good to have fore safety reasons... This ground can bring noice from all the pollutions in the net power into your system. It's good idea to make it clean and silent to get the best out of a system. There are some good products and I think Nordost is one of them.

Most of the Qkore connections I'm talking about above is how it deals with the signal ground. Like this new CAST cables. This is the big and in many ways unique thing about Nordost Qkore and the reason why it sounds so good.
All units in your system, front end and power amps, are dealing with the signal. Every unit and every side, left and right, are having a signal ground level that we can se as zero. It's the level of voltage there the signal runs. One problem is that every product and the left and right side will never have the same voltage level of zero. There will be a different in voltage. An overlap between them. This difference will be polluting the signal and will be heard as imperfection in the signal. It's like vaseline on a lens. Remove it and it will be clear. Try to draw something small with a big fat magic marker or a pen with a thin tip.
The signal ground cables makes the signal grund level zero, to align and reduce the difference in voltage between the different units and left and right side. Then the signal gets more clean and you can hear this very easy. More microdynamics, more characteristics in the sound from every instrument and voice, quicker transients, more resolution, more texture and so on.
In this particular case with CAST, it was important just to use the signal ground part in the connection and the cable. It's not possible to run a signal through it, just signal ground.

Is this possible to understand?
Otherwise I'll try to get some help from a professional and bright friend to explain it better.

Last edited by Apexorca; 04-03-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Yes that's right.
Actually I started to study electric engineering, but the life took me in another direction and I did not obtained any wide and deep knowledge in this subject. I'm not able to explain it like an engineer. Please correct me if I'm out of line here.
But I'll try.
It's something like this...

There is a ground for the high current electrical power in your house, It's good to have fore safety reasons... This ground can bring noice from all the pollutions in the net power into your system. It's good idea to make it clean and silent to get the best out of a system. There are some good products and I think Nordost is one of them.

Most of the Qkore connections I'm talking about above is how it deals with the signal ground. Like this new CAST cables. This is the big and in many ways unique thing about Nordost Qkore and the reason why it sounds so good.
All units in your system, front end and power amps, are dealing with the signal. Every unit and every side, left and right, are having a signal ground level that we can se as zero. It's the level of voltage there the signal runs. One problem is that every product and the left and right side will never have the same voltage level of zero. There will be a different in voltage. An overlap between them. This difference will be polluting the signal and will be heard as imperfection in the signal. It's like vaseline on a lens. Remove it and it will be clear. Try to draw something small with a big fat magic marker or a pen with a thin tip.
The signal ground cables makes the signal grund level zero, to align and reduce the difference in voltage between the different units and left and right side. Then the signal gets more clean and you can hear this very easy. More microdynamics, more characteristics in the sound from every instrument and voice, quicker transients, more resolution, more texture and so on.
In this particular case with CAST, it was important just to use the signal ground part in the connection and the cable. It's not possible to run a signal through it.

Is this possible to understand?
Otherwise I'll try to get some help from a professional and bright friend to explain it better.
Good explanation. I'm basically understanding it as a significantly improved way to ground and isolate the entire audio chain from the light pole. I think I got it. Well, congrats again on a great find and improvement to your sound.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Good explanation. I'm basically understanding it as a significantly improved way to ground and isolate the entire audio chain from the light pole. I think I got it. Well, congrats again on a great find and improvement to your sound.
Thank you Charles.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Krell krc-hr modification

Hi Apexorca,
After seeming you have matched Krell Krc-hr with monos and replaced Krell 202 and Gryphon combo. I have bought a Krell Krc-Hr and tried to mate with Boulder 1060. As Krell is pretty old equipment I want to modernize it. Can you help me with information which parts did you change and with which brand? Elna , Panasonic fm, Nichicon ? if you have a list to send me I really appreciate. Furthermore, did you change the cable between two components? If yes what do you recommend ?
Thank you in advance for your advice,
Sincerely
Mehmet
Old 05-09-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
Hi Apexorca,
After seeming you have matched Krell Krc-hr with monos and replaced Krell 202 and Gryphon combo. I have bought a Krell Krc-Hr and tried to mate with Boulder 1060. As Krell is pretty old equipment I want to modernize it. Can you help me with information which parts did you change and with which brand? Elna , Panasonic fm, Nichicon ? if you have a list to send me I really appreciate. Furthermore, did you change the cable between two components? If yes what do you recommend ?
Thank you in advance for your advice,
Sincerely
Mehmet
Hello Mehmet!

I'v not upgraded Krell KRC-HR and 350MC my selfe.

Krell has been very common in Sweden and there is one guy that for decades, almost from the start, has been Krell service technician on these products. He knows them really well. He is partly recently retired, but the dealer that I bought them from sent the units to him for service. He replaced hundreds of old components and upgraded some parts in them. He said that he made them sound better than original once. Thats not possible to check, but I'v had one guy who back in the days were importer of Krell here to listen to them and he was really impressed. He have had the models him selfe at home and know Krell very well. So they are for sure at least as god as they ever have been. So it's possible to upgrade how they sound.

I'v listened to them before and after this thorough service (almost rebuilt) and they got much better resolution, faster transients, great power when needed, silky smooth treble and more open presentation. The biggest part in this is probably that the components for example capacitors are new, and he made some other things that he said upgrades the sound.
Though I don't know the brand of the components, I know it is very important that they are specified for the job. I have a friend that tried to do a similar action to an old High- End unit of his. He thought that "better" modern capacitors and components that have better specifications than in the old days should be better, but it did not sound good at all. He had to replace them with components that were more alike the once that were used in the development of the product from the start.
So of you change something you really have to know how it will affect the sound in the end and where "better components" really makes it sound better.
The technician that serviced my units know this du to decades of experience and deep knowledge of Krell.

This was a long answer that did not really gave you what you asked for. Sorry.
But it maybe helped you how you could think about it.

Though, I will try to help you and get some detailed information of what brand of components were used and how this service was made.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:26 PM

Mehmet, I owned a Krell HRC pre for many years, at least 10 years. There was one to my knowledge factory upgrade made to the power supply. As you know the HRC has an external power supply. I had this done to mine. I don't recall there was much difference in the sound with the new power supply.

You should if you can find out using the serial number whether your HRC already has the upgrade.

Best,

Charles
Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Thank you everyone! I'm very happy about this upgrade.

I'll be back with more fotos and a verdict of the sound later. So far, Fenice and Futura is hard to compare. It's a completely different thing. The sound is more real in Dynamics. More like scale 1:1. Smaller speaker makes everthing in the music smaller. This gets very clear when you try side by side.
I agree with your general observation as far as scale goes.

This is why at one stereo shop I visit, I've been able to have two diffetent but excellent experiences.

Large scale: very large Magnapan's capturing the ambience of the live crowd at an outdoor concert in France.

Small scale: Holly Cole's voice in nearfield on Rogers mini monitors.

Both equally fantastic experiences based on relative scale.

You are wise to preserve both speaker systems if you have the resources to do so.

Nice system, my wife loves the masks on the wall FYI.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I agree with your general observation as far as scale goes.

This is why at one stereo shop I visit, I've been able to have two diffetent but excellent experiences.

Large scale: very large Magnapan's capturing the ambience of the live crowd at an outdoor concert in France.

Small scale: Holly Cole's voice in nearfield on Rogers mini monitors.

Both equally fantastic experiences based on relative scale.

You are wise to preserve both speaker systems if you have the resources to do so.

Nice system, my wife loves the masks on the wall FYI.

Thank you kach22i.
The masks are from Venice.
Also thank you for your inputs.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 PM

Finally I put Lyrec Frida on all fours on my rack. Moving it around with the smal cart was convenient but also not. Since Frida is a thin lady she does not fill out so much space. It's almost smaller than my MSB three unit digital player.

https://i.postimg.cc/Pryv2sbM/49U6081.jpg

Old 06-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Beautiful Carl! I love your whole system but seeing those Krell 750 FPB monoblocks brings back wonderful memories. These are special amps and the equal of anything on the market today. Perfect for you system.

Best,

Charles