AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Default Oppo vs. Oppo vs. Oppo

I want to upgrade my DVD player and am drawn to the Oppo line of products. They seem to have a good reputation and excellent specifications.

However, I can't seem to find what's significantly different between the BDP-83, 95, 103 & 105 models. Also there are model variants such as the 103D (3D model), and it appears that as the model number changes, the number of available streaming sources change as well.

I do like being able to watch BluRay DVD's or to stream movies from Netflix and Vudu to name a couple. Plus I would like to explore internet radio a bit more.

Anyone have any insight into what some of the basic differences between the Oppo models?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM

If you are in need of a good DAC, buy the 105, if not the 103.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 PM

The DAC is a secondary consideration (I have a good one in the system now) and it's more about the multiple uses of the transport (standard DVD, BluRay, CD), streaming capabilities and video quality.

But I get where you are going and a lot of folks are looking for a box that has all the things they want to add quality for video and audio.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 PM

I would do the 105 at any level, better sound too even on movies multi ch etc.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM

Oppo upgrades their Bluray players every year or so.

So if you are buying new, you can only get the newest 10x series.

The 83 was Oppo's first foray into universal bluray players. They came up with an upgraded model later called the 83SE which upgraded the power supply and the analog board to include ESS Sabre 32 DACs - the lower end 9016 replacing Cirrus Logic DACs.

For the 9x generation, they launched two models - the 93 with the Cirrus Logic DACs and the 95 with Sabre 32 - now using the 9018. The 9x series provided 3D support and dual HDMI outputs. The 95 also had a Rotel designed torroidal transformer and XLR outputs.

The 10x series also provided two models - a basic videophile model the 103 and an audiophile upgrade 105. On the video side, upscaling support to 4k was added, along with HDMI inputs (2) to allow you to use the Oppo as an HDMI switch and up scaler for your set top boxes or game consoles. The 105 uses the same 9018 (but configured differently from the 95) to provide headphone output along with XLR and RCA outputs. It also provides DAC inputs (USB Toslink coax) to the 9018.

I don't use the Oppo for video streaming so can't help you out there but my 95 menus shows support for Hulu Netflix and some Internet radio apps.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM

Oh the 103D is the newest model. It's basically an Oppo103 with a Darbee video processor built in. Darbee isn't a video upscaling chipset but it supposedly enhances the picture quality - making it pop out more without apparently the downsides. Friends who have it seem to love it. There's talk of a 105D model coming soon.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM

83 is generation 1. 93 and 95 are generation 2. 103 and 105 are generation 3. With each generation the video quality gets better. The 95 and 105 are audiophile versions of the 93 and 103. That means there is an improved analog section, mainly for two channel music. The video sections are the same between 93/95 and 103/105. The 95 has a fan, while the 105 does not. Some complain of fan noise with the 95.

I have the 83, then upgraded to the 93. One of these days I plan to get the 103, but the 93 is still working fine.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Don't know about the 105 but, I love my bdp95 for bluray, stereo CD, and for multichannel.
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the info, guys!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 AM

The 103 and 105 are the same as far as video quality. As stated, the 105 has a better analog audio section, but that's bypassed if you send your audio to another processor (pre-amp) using HDMI or other digital form. So it's a waste if you bypass it's analog section.

The new 103D has Darbee as someone mentioned in this thread. You should note that some people do NOT like the Darbee effect. You can find many heated debates on it. Darbee processors can also be purchased separately for a few hundred dollars. Personally, I didn't think it was that much of a break through to come out with a new 103D model just for Darbee...specially since you can buy it separately already.

I've owned several Oppo models and love their build quality.