AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Default Competitor to the MR88 (with HD)? Can I have it all?

I am looking for a tuner with HD capabilities. Magnum Dynalab is coming out with some HD offerings this spring (according to their website), but I wondered what suggestions for current tuners that might be alternatives to the MR88 folks might have. Unfortunately, there aren't as many tuners out there as there were in years past. I just don't want to buy the MR88 or an MD model and then say "I missed that one" and have buyer's remorse. I, of course, would like to save $$ over the MR88 (likely wishful thinking).

In a fantasy world (because I just can't find this device), the device would allow acquisition of both streamed internet content (including Tidal and equivalents), AM/FM and HD. I am less concerned about XM/Sirius.

I know, I'm wanting my cake and trying to eat it too, but appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance. Weirdcuba.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Weirdcuba.......The Sony XDR-F1HD is an AM/FM/HD tuner. It is no longer manufactured but is available from a couple Amazon vendors used.

The Sony XDR-F1HD is definitely no McIntosh MR88 but might let you play around with HD radio to wet your feet.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-25-2015, 04:17 PM

I think the Sony that Dan mentioned is the only standalone HD tuner other than the MR88, pending whatever MD will release. I don't know that there is any one perfect tuner today, but there are plenty of options available to meet various needs.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Thanks. I have the Sony XDR-F1HD on order from an Amazon seller. Darn things cost more used than they did new, but they're still 1/10 the cost of an MR88. This will likely suffice for a while to allow me to fiddle with the antenna / figure out stations / and figure out whether the balance of the 9/10 of the $$ is worth the outlay. I heard the MD offerings were going to be at the $900 and $1600 price point, so that will be another data point.

Thanks. This post was worth it - I wouldn't have known about the Sony otherwise.

weirdcuba
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Rebellious!

Why not a Sonos w/ TuneIn Radio (free) and a XM Satellite (subscription) connected to a WW Silver Starlight Digital Cable, Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Box, WW Silver Starlight Digital Cable and into the DAC du jour?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Thanks. I have the Sony XDR-F1HD on order from an Amazon seller.
There are any number of things that don't work for the best with the XDR-F1HD. Mike Williams, who is Punker X on the AK forum, once had a website for his tuner work (couldn't find it) offers several levels of mods to make it easier to use as well as to enhance it sonics and reception performance. You can reach him through a PM on the AK forum or possibly through the TIC Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I think the Sony that Dan mentioned is the only standalone HD tuner other than the MR88, pending whatever MD will release. I don't know that there is any one perfect tuner today, but there are plenty of options available to meet various needs.
There are a couple of others, though I'm not much good as I don't recall the names. Don't expect many more as HD is pretty much 'dead in the water'.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-27-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM

Day Sequerra makes some as well, it turns out. Not exactly cheap, though.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 PM

Thanks for all of the thoughts. I'll give the Sony a try,and as in so many things audio related, possibly regret spending the $$ and return to the analog solution. This will give me time to play around and wait on a good used specimen.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Thanks for all of the thoughts. I'll give the Sony a try,and as in so many things audio related, possibly regret spending the $$ and return to the analog solution. This will give me time to play around and wait on a good used specimen.
If/when you sell the Sony, you'll likely break even, if not make a few bucks. Enjoy the journey!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Retired

Here is Mike Williams' website with info on his Sony HDR-F1HD upgrades described. http://www.radioxtuners.com/

The other HD tuner is a Sangean, though, like the Sony, is no longer available.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag