AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 AM

Thanks to Alberto for the presentation and for best expressed what I wanted to ask you.
Thanks to you for answers. As I have learned in the last days are two very different amplifiers. All that remains to do is to listen, listen, listen :-)

Sorry for my poor english :-)

Francesco
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fclombardo View Post
Thanks to Alberto for the presentation and for best expressed what I wanted to ask you.
Thanks to you for answers. As I have learned in the last days are two very different amplifiers. All that remains to do is to listen, listen, listen :-)

Sorry for my poor english :-)

Francesco
You are welcome Franscesco.

The best analogy I can offer is this (which is appropriate given that Shindo names their products after wines):

While different versions of Cortese amps share some core similarities (e.g. they are all single-ended, medium-power, vintage components, etc.) they are like different vintages of the same wine.

Which one you will like best is a matter of personal preference, and the only real way to know is by tasting it.

So you are right: Listen, listen, listen!

Alberto
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Info on the 300B here on AA.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Hi all, in recent months I have revolutionized my system .. switched to a more traditional setting, going from Wilson to Devore and from cables like Nordost to Auditorium 23.

I recently purchased a pair of Devore Silverback (new model, Improve, as soon as I can I show you some pictures), that I'm using with electronic Nagra (PLL - VPS - VPA), with great results. A few days ago I test the amplifiers in Shindo, Aurieges MM -A23 SUT- Montille 6v6, they sound great... Not clean and technical as the nagra but surely play a more magical. Since I have yet to buy, I wanted to search for a more suitable product and I was thinking just the friendly F2a

In fact, when i fell in love with the Silverbacks, at ILS, in NY, they were used with a Monbrison and Shindo Cortese F2a. The Latter Sounded great and was having absolutely no difficulty, despite its mere 10w.
I would be really glad to know if you can tell me, based on your experiences if cortesef2a is able to properly manage my speakers.

Thank you a lot!
Francesco
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fclombardo View Post
Hi all, in recent months I have revolutionized my system .. switched to a more traditional setting, going from Wilson to Devore and from cables like Nordost to Auditorium 23.

I recently purchased a pair of Devore Silverback (new model, Improve, as soon as I can I show you some pictures), that I'm using with electronic Nagra (PLL - VPS - VPA), with great results. A few days ago I test the amplifiers in Shindo, Aurieges MM -A23 SUT- Montille 6v6, they sound great... Not clean and technical as the nagra but surely play a more magical. Since I have yet to buy, I wanted to search for a more suitable product and I was thinking just the friendly F2a

In fact, when i fell in love with the Silverbacks, at ILS, in NY, they were used with a Monbrison and Shindo Cortese F2a. The Latter Sounded great and was having absolutely no difficulty, despite its mere 10w.
I would be really glad to know if you can tell me, based on your experiences if cortesef2a is able to properly manage my speakers.

Thank you a lot!
Francesco
Ciao Francesco,

Shindo + DeVore is a very popular match. I have a Monbrison + Cortese which I use with Tannoy Sandringhams (90db sensitivity) and I don't feel any straining from the 10W+10W. Most of the time, my volume knob is at 9 o'clock position and it's plenty loud for me.

After many years of transistors I switched to all tubes and I found delicious and addictive sound. After many years of tubes, I switched to Single-Ended tubes and found even more magic.

I am so completely satisfied with my Monbrison + Cortese that I can't even imagine changing my system.

Hope this helps.

Alberto
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Congrats on the new Silverbacks! Yep, they can just sip power and sound wonderful. A Cortese won't grip the full bass capabilities of the S'backs, but if you don't listen to music that requires it (or you have another amp for that), I say go for it. I love the combination myself.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Francesco, you will be fine with the Silverbacks. They are a rather easy speaker to drive with impedance being above 6 ohms and 89.5dB efficiency. DeVore Fidelity Silverback Reference loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

My own experiences with the Cortese took me across 3 pairs of Tannoy speakers going from 90dB to 96dB of efficiency. (Sandringham, Kensington and Canterbury) Of course there is no denying the increase in performance going up in efficiency, specifically in the bass resolution, authority and solidity. Some of that is of course also attributed to the difference in the speaker capabilities and their coupling with the room itself. One thing for sure, the Cortese surprises on many levels. How in the world 10 watts can drive a speaker and produce some of the most impressive bass qualities is still a mystery to me. That's not to mention the incredibly lifelike, liquid and absolutely musical presentation. I wish you luck in your journey with Shindo, you will enjoy it for sure if you decide to head down that path.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Francesco, you will be fine with the Silverbacks. They are a rather easy speaker to drive with impedance being above 6 ohms and 89.5dB efficiency. DeVore Fidelity Silverback Reference loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

My own experiences with the Cortese took me across 3 pairs of Tannoy speakers going from 90dB to 96dB of efficiency. (Sandringham, Kensington and Canterbury) Of course there is no denying the increase in performance going up in efficiency, specifically in the bass resolution, authority and solidity. Some of that is of course also attributed to the difference in the speaker capabilities and their coupling with the room itself. One thing for sure, the Cortese surprises on many levels. How in the world 10 watts can drive a speaker and produce some of the most impressive bass qualities is still a mystery to me. That's not to mention the incredibly lifelike, liquid and absolutely musical presentation. I wish you luck in your journey with Shindo, you will enjoy it for sure if you decide to head down that path.
Let me add to what Serge said about the bass with anecdotal evidence. The bass from the Cortese was also a HUGE surprise to me. It's the most musical bass I've ever heard in my room and setup. Serge used the term liquid and he's absolutely right. It's so good that I went for a month with my subwoofer unplugged and never even noticed. Now I keep it unplugged period; it's not even connected.

Bottom-line (pun intended) all watts are not created equal; the Cortese may not have the woofer iron-grip and damping factor of, say, a 500W McIntosh monoblock but I'll be darned if I can find something--anything--missing or wrong with it. Perhaps I'd notice it if I was playing some rap tunes (the ones that rattle car windows) at 100db, but for most rock, jazz and classical bass (i.e. non-synthesized sub-40hz) I'd be VERY surprised if you would not be thrilled with it.

Alberto
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto

Let me add to what Serge said about the bass with anecdotal evidence. The bass from the Cortese was also a HUGE surprise to me. It's the most musical bass I've ever heard in my room and setup. Serge used the term liquid and he's absolutely right. It's so good that I went for a month with my subwoofer unplugged and never even noticed. Now I keep it unplugged period; it's not even connected.

Bottom-line (pun intended) all watts are not created equal; the Cortese may not have the woofer iron-grip and damping factor of, say, a 500W McIntosh monoblock but I'll be darned if I can find something--anything--missing or wrong with it. Perhaps I'd notice it if I was playing some rap tunes (the ones that rattle car windows) at 100db, but for most rock, jazz and classical bass (i.e. non-synthesized sub-40hz) I'd be VERY surprised if you would not be thrilled with it.

Alberto
And here goes Alberto...and now I want a Cortese....Thanks !
Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Alberto, Serge,

I have no trouble to imagine how good the bass of the Cortese must be. That is the strength of SETs and a big strength of all Shindo amps in general.
Even my small PP Apetite has a terrific bass, even on my big PMCs. It was more alive and exciting than my big Mcs !!!!
The 845 Verdier SET monoblocks had a tremendous tuneful colorful bass. Only 20W in class A.
Looking for a Cortese right now for my private collection. Not to be used with the Wilsons....