AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Default There Will Always Be a McIntosh

Came across this while perusing old issues of the "big three" high fidelity magazines: Audio, High Fidelity and Stereo Review.

This article was published in the November 1985 issue of Stereo Review - a bit more than the halfway point between McIntosh's founding in 1949 and now. A lot of what was said then still applies today.

Hope it provides enjoyable reading for first timers or as a trip down memory lane for those formerly avid hi-fi magazine readers back in the day.

- Eric/ 62caddy.

There Will Always Be a McIntosh

by Ralph Hodges

THIRTY years ago, the U.S. high-fidelity market virtually belonged to Scott and Fisher, if you had to respect a budget, and Marantz and McIntosh if you did not. Ownership of either of the M's was so unassailably "high end" that the less fortunate were not permitted even to question its desirability when ladies were present.

Today, the first three companies have become essentially offshore enterprises, justifiably proud of their names and histories but with the ubiquitous Made in You -Know - Where legends on their products' rear panels. But McIntosh? McIntosh components are still made in Binghamton, New York, just as they used to be and probably ever shall be. And to say "made" there is no exaggeration.

According to Gordon Gow, McIntosh's chief executive officer and one of the company's founders in 1949, "We of course acquire knobs, switches, controls, tuning capacitors, and the like from the Far East, because we can't find their equivalent here, and it would not be practical or important to make them ourselves. But all our chassis components, our front panels, our transformers, our speaker -driver assemblies, and the rest of the crucial elements originate on the premises." And so they do. The complex of three buildings-one of them a converted bowling alley that now houses a respectably large anechoic chamber and a complete photo -pro- duction studio ("We were never happy with outside work") represents the kind of vertical manufacturing facility that is rare to vanishing in this country.

With a preamplifier, a tuner, Several power amplifiers, a receiver, a remote -control system, several speaker systems, and a CD player (an elaboration of a Philips design and apparently the only thing of significance for which an outside supplier is vital), McIntosh is, astonishingly, our last remaining full -line audio manufacturer. And there is much more to come. A projection - TV audio/video complex is now running in prototype form, and the company has taken what is called a "serious" stockholders' position in Compusonics, the Palo Alto organization that is trying to record audio on floppy discs via a novel digital transform and expects to be waging successful battle against digital audio cassettes in a few years.

But what is McIntosh that the high -end audiophile should pay attention to it? The company advertises only enough to keep the cognoscenti aware that it's still alive (and McIntosh executives freely admit there have been times when it almost wasn't). It does not solicit magazine test reports and, in fact, has a long history of resisting them. It is obsessed with cosmetic details-perhaps, one worries, to the exclusion of other, weightier matters. Possibly worst of all, its products are eagerly bought by doctors and lawyers without ever really being listened to, just as the same consumer group buys Rolls Royces without ever really driving them.

But there's another side of the coin. Even if those doctors and lawyers don't really listen, McIntosh's own people tend to, if record collections of 2,000 and living rooms littered with CD's are any indication. Although the expense of a McIntosh system can be truly hideous, there is no evidence that any McIntosh executive ever lost sleep over it, the prices being honestly representative of what was built in. The philosophy of "pay a little less, hear a little less" seems alien in Binghamton. People blink at you and change the subject. Every McIntosh product is the best statement on the technology McIntosh can make at the time, and the pricing comes later, an attitude that apparently engenders respect and a comfortable confidence in McIntosh worshipers.

So do the cosmetics, which are extravagantly designed to outlive the owner. When an especially antique McIntosh comes in for service, the folks from the front office turn up to admire it. And if it isn't all that admirable (there are stories of amplifiers that have taken bullets from outraged wives who thought new shoes for the children a greater priority), it will be before it leaves, and for a charge that makes your dry-cleaning bill seem exorbitant.

McIntosh's vacuum -tube technology is the oldest and among the most venerated in the business. Yet at a time when tube gear enjoys considerable high -end popularity, nothing new in this line comes from Binghamton. To ask why produces general weeping, wailing, and wall - pounding. "It's the tubes," explains Gow. "It kills us to recondition one of our classic old products and have to send it back with the original tubes, but we cannot find replacements that will serve. Certainly we could not justify a new product based on today's tubes. Our customers would haul us into court, and they'd be right!" What this says about manufacturers who do use today's tubes is debatable. But what it says about circuit design that permits tubes to be still usable after twenty years or so is impressive.

In any case, what does an all - McIntosh system of today sound like? On the basis of hearing two of them, I'd say expensive, potent, polite (too polite?), and somewhat underdamped in the low frequencies. The sophistication of the high -frequency array for the XRT 18 speaker system may be hard to touch with anything much short of a well -executed ribbon design. As for the low bass, I suspect it will serve McIntosh owners, present and future, very well.

Last edited by 62caddy; 04-02-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Greetings from NC

Great article. I was working at a McIntosh dealer when in college so I could eat when I was not attending classes. That is why I have ventured into McIntosh systems and accumulated a completely restored 1976 system with a C28 preamp, MQ101 room equalizer, MC2105 amp, MR78 tuner and ML1C speakers as well as other later components. This is my office system. My main system and theater are modern day components. My office system is really my favorite because it takes me to another time not long before I was in college starting in 1978. Could I have taken another direction, yes, but I would have never been satisfied.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 04-02-2019, 03:13 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Cool article.

As the whether there will always be a McIntosh....hmmm.

There will be a time that the ultimate heat death of the Universe will occur.

'Course, there won't be any Earth, Sun, or Milky Way galaxy then, either, so I guess its all good!

Let us eat and drink. For tomorrow, we die.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:17 AM

My guess is that it's a reference to the British patriotic song "There Will Always Be an England".
Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

I particularly like the part of one unit taking a bullet from an upset wife over the owners decision to not buy shoes for the children
Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
Great article. I was working at a McIntosh dealer when in college so I could eat when I was not attending classes. That is why I have ventured into McIntosh systems and accumulated a completely restored 1976 system with a C28 preamp, MQ101 room equalizer, MC2105 amp, MR78 tuner and ML1C speakers as well as other later components. This is my office system. My main system and theater are modern day components. My office system is really my favorite because it takes me to another time not long before I was in college starting in 1978. Could I have taken another direction, yes, but I would have never been satisfied.
Great story.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
My guess is that it's a reference to the British patriotic song "There Will Always Be an England".
Yup. I was just being silly in my geeky scientist-type way...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 AM

Wonderful post. Thank you.

Last edited by Charles; 04-03-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the read on the "Always be McIntosh" . . . I am an owner of the new MAC7200 Receiver. I know it's all SS, but this thing still does me proud! I'm tickled to have it !!!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:26 PM

I agree there will always be a McIntosh ,McIntosh is an american iconic brand that cannot be beat due ro it's timeless designs , my 3 decade old C-39 looks right at home with either pair of my Mc-1201s ,my pair of Mc-252s ,my C-2200 and C-2500 ,my oldest pieces are a C-20 preamp and a sequenced pair of Mc-60s and they look at home next to my most beautiful piece of gear which is my LB-100 ,ive caught flak from the young crowd who think their level of expenditure on HiFi is just right but guys with multiple pairs of 1201s are just showing off ,they don't agree with the cost of the LB-100 but to me it's worth twice the cost ,nothing says beauty like the timeless logo on the LB-100 ,McIntosh Handcrafted in the USA since 1949 .

McIntosh is a global legend that will always be in demand .