AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > News

News Local & Worldwide

Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

This seems to continue on and on, with mixed feelings about Dr. Bose, his company and M. Fremer.

I fully stand by my original remark, made in this thread, back in July, shortly after Dr. Bose's death and directed at Fremer and his article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
IMHO, only an insufferable jerk would write and publish that sort of article upon the death of ANYONE!!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Racing Hoopties

I have read this off and on. For what it's worth I will add my thoughts. First, the article was in poor judgment no matter how much validity there may be to the claims. Second, I believe the 'market' chooses winners and losers and clearly Bose as a corporation has been winning for a long time. I once lusted after and ultimately owned 901's. I loved what they did at that time in my life. Luxman pre, NAD2200 amp. Dual 1225 TT.. Have not bought any of their products since buying the RS IIa's from my buddy almost 20 years ago. I know many people who have purchased their products and are very happy with them for hundreds of reasons. Obviously, Bose has made products people value and therefore are willing to spend their money on. So in the end, they make products customers want and profit from it. Good for them as it makes the world go around. Craig
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 04-27-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Not a Bose fan at all, but truth is that they make the best noise cancelation headphones. Own them about two years now, and have not come accross better one.
+1
I have the Bose noise canceling headphones and they are a godsend on an airplane. I'm not looking for the last word in hi fidelity to watch a movie on my iPad or listen to compressed files on my iPhone while on an airplane. They work great for their intended purpose and come with a durable and reasonable sized case that fits easily in a briefcase or backpack. My wife liked them so much, we got a pair for her also.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 AM

I'm moderately surprised that this thread has gone on for so long without reference to the extended spat between MF and Arthur Salvatore regarding reviewer and journalistic ethics - Michael Fremer.

Assuming that MF really is the author of his half of the exchanges, boorish behaviour on his part is not unusual. I'll not speculate on the accuracy of AS's allegations...

Pity, because some of MF's writing is interesting and incisive.

Peter
Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM

MF is a great guy, and always kind to me when swapping emails, albeit opinionated. He wouldn't be a good author and reviewer if he were not so passionate. This is an esoteric hobby and love we all invest oodles of dollars in, and we have to the right to be critical of components and their manufacturers and sales policies. Bose does not even remotely compare to the quality of most serious high end products, and they make an incredible profit from substandard products. I seriously doubt given the amount of money they make, that they are too concerned about what Mikey thinks, or even offering a quality product at a fair price.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM

Be it all true on not.The Bose bashings continues even in death. I always keep in mind the hi end audio salons loved Bose products, until Bose allowed their products to be sold by big box type stores. Then all the sudden Bose was thrash. Taught me to always take a dealers advice and words with a grain of salt. And mostly let my hears and wallet make the right choice for myself.

My Bose headphones I use for travel all great. For home I have better cans. The 90'1 I had many years ago were great fun. Years after the warranty was over, the speaker went bad. Bose had a program where for $300.00 they would replace the entire pair of speakers. So much for the money grubbing. Bose often is the first to come out with technology to the masses, like the small wave radio. Others come along like Cambridge Soundworks that improve on it and at a better price. Such is the world of business.

Compare their products with due diligence. Educate other's should you care and initiate them to better sound. But let the man and the bashings R.I.P..