AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Even if I prefer it, I wouldn't say that the Q3 is a better speaker than the S5.
S5 is more accessible, more tolerant to the source, in the sense that it is a bit warmer, with a very slight bass hump. It is also very transparent, but not as much as the Q3. For me, it is targeting the typical Wilson buyer, as it does everything a sasha would do.... better, and without being as "revolutionary" as the Q3.

Q3 require a learning curve, like all Q series. You need to reeducate your ears, because their linearity, transparency and impulse response is better than anything else on the market. Response is perfectly flat and extremely transparent (because of a more inert cabinet construction and more expensive drivers and XO). On very good recording and with very good upstream components, no speaker it its price range beats it. On poor recording or with average upstream components... you hear it, because they are "brutally honest" (vs. "honest" for the S5 and "pleasing" for the Sonus Faber).
If I would listen to a lot of pop/rock, I would buy the S5. For Jazz (which is my priority), I prefer the Q3. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

I haven't heard the S5 and Q3 in the same room with the same equipment. But I have at home S1 and Q1 in same room, fully treated, so I had the opportunity to compare for several hours, with different upstream components. S1 is an amazing value for money. But cost put aside, I would take the Q1 any day.
Jazz, you've been reading Alan Sircom's review All your comments reflect my own listening impressions of the S5's. They are a bit more laid back, very smooth, warm and very well balanced and coherent. They scale brilliantly from the lowest kick drums to the most shimmering highs and throw off a huge sound stage. I agree it is more tolerant of average recordings. The S5's are transparent sounding, but too much transparency can be a bad thing. You also want meat on the bones.

As for the comparison between the S1 & Q1, the Q1 is twice the price of the S1 so it's a bit like a senior beating up a freshman. Hardly a fair comparison! But the S5 vs Q3, now that's a fair fight But as I mentioned in my earlier comment, i'd rather pocket the $10k saving and put that into better isolation & bringing forward electronics upgrades. You have to keep your system balanced (and by that I don't mean using xlr cables) and focus on system synergy. That is the path to musical nirvana Hey, wasn't this thread comparing the S5's to the classic Infinity's?

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 08-31-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Even if I prefer it, I wouldn't say that the Q3 is a better speaker than the S5.
S5 is more accessible, more tolerant to the source, in the sense that it is a bit warmer, with a very slight bass hump. It is also very transparent, but not as much as the Q3. For me, it is targeting the typical Wilson buyer, as it does everything a sasha would do.... better, and without being as "revolutionary" as the Q3.

Q3 require a learning curve, like all Q series. You need to reeducate your ears, because their linearity, transparency and impulse response is better than anything else on the market. Response is perfectly flat and extremely transparent (because of a more inert cabinet construction and more expensive drivers and XO). On very good recording and with very good upstream components, no speaker it its price range beats it. On poor recording or with average upstream components... you hear it, because they are "brutally honest" (vs. "honest" for the S5 and "pleasing" for the Sonus Faber).
If I would listen to a lot of pop/rock, I would buy the S5. For Jazz (which is my priority), I prefer the Q3. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

I haven't heard the S5 and Q3 in the same room with the same equipment. But I have at home S1 and Q1 in same room, fully treated, so I had the opportunity to compare for several hours, with different upstream components. S1 is an amazing value for money. But cost put aside, I would take the Q1 any day.
Well said. I listened to the S5 and Q3 together twice. The first time in the previous dealer's show room. Eventually I chose the S5, mainly for its slightly more relaxed presentation. Being used to Wilson's sound, the Q3 might be too big a jump. But even then I felt the Q3 was more transparent.

Couple months ago, I listened to the S5 and the Q3 again, this time at the new dealer's. The Q3 seemed more appealing this time. I even felt an urge to upgrade. However, the environment and the associated components were different. The first time, FM amplifiers and Berkeley front were used. The second time, the Constellation (Centaur Mono) amp and the dCS Vivaldi stack seemed a better match - even the S5 performed better.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
.......But as I mentioned in my earlier comment, i'd rather pocket the $10k saving and put that into better isolation & bringing forward electronics upgrades. ......
This is a good strategy.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
Well said. I listened to the S5 and Q3 together twice. The first time in the previous dealer's show room. Eventually I chose the S5, mainly for its slightly more relaxed presentation. Being used to Wilson's sound, the Q3 might be too big a jump. But even then I felt the Q3 was more transparent.

Couple months ago, I listened to the S5 and the Q3 again, this time at the new dealer's. The Q3 seemed more appealing this time. I even felt an urge to upgrade. However, the environment and the associated components were different. The first time, FM amplifiers and Berkeley front were used. The second time, the Constellation (Centaur Mono) amp and the dCS Vivaldi stack seemed a better match - even the S5 performed better.
Are you based in HK? the electronics you mention fit with the old and new Magico dealer there. Just curious
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 AM

Deleted (posted a response in a wrong thread).

Last edited by Elberoth; 09-02-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth
I have sold my Sashas for the S5s.
Adam,

What is the list price of the S5 in Europe ? is it the same as the Sasha ?
What are the improvements you are hearing with the S5 over the Sasha ?
Is there something that you are missing from the Sasha ?
Thanks !
Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman

My brother was shopping for new speakers..
The last time, I gave him my Magico V3 to use he quickly sold it for a pair of Sashas instead.
Fairly recently, after having auditioned amongst others Q5, Q3, S5, he opted to get the new Alexia.

Speakers are taste/preference thing and a pretty subjective one..

So bother not what people say, just keep enjoying what you got/ear tells you.
Not only speakers, but everything in our hobby is very subjective.
There is no better and worse. No matter the price level. Only personal preferences and system synergies or not.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Adam,

What is the list price of the S5 in Europe ? is it the same as the Sasha ?
What are the improvements you are hearing with the S5 over the Sasha ?
Is there something that you are missing from the Sasha ?
Thanks !
I have adressed this very question in another thread, so I will just copy & paste it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Kev - let's just say, I'm very close to pulling the trigger. The ones I have right now, are loaners. My Sashas are long gone.

I think that the S5 is a better speaker. MUCH smoother, more refied, less in your face. More natural timbre - especially on female vocals. The bass from the sealed box is also much better - goes lower, is faster and much more detailed. Wilsons almost sound boomy in comparison.

Now I can see what people like in sealed box designs.

The only area where Sasha outperforms Magico is the soundstage depth. My guess is that it is becouse of the wider front of the speaker. Sasha's head is almost like a minimonitor, which helps it to disappear better.

But it is a compromise I can live with.
I belive both are 30k, but it may vary market to market.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post

I have adressed this very question in another thread, so I will just copy & paste it here:

I belive both are 30k, but it may vary market to market.
Thanks Adam,

Very interesting comparison.
I may give a listen to those S5's.
And yes, well designed closed speakers can give a fabulous bass. I still have my Linn Keilidhs !
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Smile

Quote:
Are you based in HK? the electronics you mention fit with the old and new Magico dealer there. Just curious
Yes. Your description of S5 vs Q3 is quite accurate. I had an itch for the Q3 but when I arrived home to listen to my S5 making beautiful music, that itch subsided quite a bit.