AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
:screwy: I think you heard what you wanted to hear.
David.......Feel free to grasp hold of whichever straw that looks like it will support all your learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts. I can agree with you on one point. Yes, I hear.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
David.......Feel free to grasp hold of whichever straw that looks like it will support all your learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts. I can agree with you on one point. Yes, I hear.
huh?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
huh?
David.......Clarification: You are entitled to your opinion, even when I consider it less than an educated guess.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Jim.......In the past, I have tried bi-wiring, and even tri-wiring speakers, and have never experienced any sonic advantage for the work and expense.

My right channel speaker requires 38' of cable from the amp to the speaker. I use equal lengths for both speakers even though my left channel speaker is within four feet of the amp. Both wires leave the amp, go through a wall plate, up into the attic, then back down again behind their respective speakers. The guage of 8TC is more than adequate for this distance. The braided technique Ray Kimber employs makes the cable almost completely immune to RFI and EMI, so I pickup no noise in the cable runs, even being in the attic and near electrical circuit cables there.

Even if I were a proponent of bi-wire, another 76' of Kimber 8TC (L + R) isn't cheap. If it was absolute that bi-wire or tri-wire produced better sound, the cost wouldn't be a consideration, but to bi-wire for some mythical gain does not interest me. Bi-wiring, and tri-wiring is a cable manufacturer's and dealer's dream come true. They sell more high-dollar wire. The dealer convinces a customer that audible gains can be had without more ultra high priced gear. Sort of like a poor man's bi-amping without the active crossover and additional amps. I have seen dealers use this approach to sell bi-wiring, and always find it amusing, if not bordering on unscrupulously taking advantage of the less experienced audio enthusiasts.
Dan
The number of options for for bi or tri wiring speakers is only exceeded by the number opinions regarding the benefits of same.

So much depends on the speakers. Some speakers benefit from shotgun bi-wiring where you can use different gage or different types of wire for woofers and tweeters.

Keeping the length of your speaker wires even is the right thing to do, but would it be better to get the 501's closer to your speakers using shorter wire with longer interconnects? There is some disagreement as to which method is preferable. Interconnects are usually less expensive than speaker wire.

An interesting note. Transparent only makes bi-wire cables up thru their Reference level. Reference XL , Reference MM2 and Opus only comes in single wire.

I cannot tell you whether I hear any definite benefit with bi-wires, but the manufacturers of my last several speakers all recommend bi-wiring.
Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......I have I bi-wired several different speakers through the years. The last ones were a pair of Definitive Technologies BP2000 speakers, where I was able to send a preamp line level output to the internal sub amps, plus bi-wire the mids and tweets. Back and forth I went trying to hear a difference, but none was heard. Ultimately, with the BP2000's, I left the sub amps fed with line level signals from the preamp, and strapped the mids and tweets.

I understand that system, and speaker synergy is at play here, and some speaker designs may benefit from bi-wiring. It just hasn't been my experience that audible improvemnets were there.

I have read several different engineering papers on bi-wiring, and the effects that can happen when different cable capacitance enters the equation. There are many variables to consider and understand in order to take full advantage of the concept. It is an intersting subject.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 AM

Way to go Dan.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
David.......Clarification: You are entitled to your opinion, even when I consider it less than an educated guess.
:smileysex:
Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM
My name is Levi

Excellent tweak! Now I need some Kimber kables.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Levi.......I didn't know you found us. Welcome.

The Kimber 8TC speaker cable is still a sleeper in the market place, as far as price is concerned. the 8TC has been well reviewed, and praised. A 10' pair terminated with banana plugs is still under $500. That's a bargain.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks lyle and Dan on this little tweak. I'll have to give it a try..... but I sure don't want to cut a couple of pieces from my existing 8TC

I'll try it out on some rat shack 16 ga I have here.

Last edited by 'cisco; 04-18-2009 at 01:26 PM.