AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Hey Everyone. Thanks so much for your help and input.

I do think the speakers have enough bass... (25hz is not too far from subsonic like ian said). They just probably need more power. Note: I do have a velodyne sub I use sometimes but it just is not nearly as detailed as the piston/woofer on the ib2.

I will try the 8 ohm setup (with the proper taps) and report back.

I think the 2301 could be a great upgrade and allow the same wiring setup. Thanks for your input. One last question while I ponder this: would a pair of mc601 mono blocks matched with a c500t approach the warmth of the c2301s (driving ss amps with a tube pre)? The ib2s have such a sweet texture with the 275s, I would not want to totally lose that.

Thanks again! -Jeremy
Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 AM

Can I ask about the Fact 8's?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Hello Yartle,

Welcome to AA! When I demo Fact 8's, and the 3's for that matter, the Bryston 4Bsst2 is what I get the most out of the speakers with. So I would say 200-300 is good. I also had the great pleasure to demo the 8's with an ARC VSI-60 that was nothing short of spectacular.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Hi Ian, everyone,

I am now the proud owner of a pair of ex-demo EB1i's (used by PMC on the Munich high end show), picked up yesterday from Unilet in London. The improvement over the FB1i's is HUGE and mirrors all the positive reviews I have read around here. I am however having a slight issue with the bass in the listening position where it is exaggerated and muddy, particularly when listening to synthesized bass in dub/reggae/electronic music. When I move forward just a few feet the bass level drops way down and I am able to hear a huge level of lower frequency detail that had been totally lost in the listening seat.

I have moved the mid-range and tweeter up to the 8ohm tap and the bass driver down to the 2ohm tap on my MC402 to calm the bass down a bit which has helped a lot. (There are alot of threads on this topic, confirmed to be harmless to the amp by Mcintosh).

I imagine the way I have the speakers positioned in this space is far from optimal and as you mentioned the EB's are very sensitive to this. What would you recommend in terms of speaker positioning? Do I need to consider room treatment; bass traps in the corners?

Length (curtained wall): 12.7feet (3.9m)
Width: 13.7 feet (4.2m) although this opens up into dining room behind camera
Height: 8.7 feet (2.7m)
174 sqft (16.4 sqm)

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
-Joost
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all

jdebonth.......The first thing I noticed about your room is all the untreated and highly reflective surfaces. All that glass next to your right channel speaker is creating delayed reflections, and the untreated flat surfaces on all walls. You could use several bass traps, and several acoustic absorption panels placed on the wall behind the speakers, and on the wall behind your seating position.

Your new PMC EB!i's look very nice.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-26-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Music Provides Joy

I agree with Dan on this 100%. I started with a bright room. Treatments on the attack wall, first reflection points, and the back wall improved just about everything in a dramatic way. I now consider the treatments to be one of the most important 'components' of my system.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 AM

jdandy, kfr01, thanks for the feedback!

I have been doing a lot of reading on room treatment and I understand that the approach followed in treating a room is as a first step to deal with the bass issues and then separately to address the early reflections.

In the long term I would like to deal with the large reflective surfaces to improve imaging, etc, but currently they are not bothering me NEARLY as much as the bass response in the room. What I would like to understand is if the speaker positioning can be optimized or if I need to rely purely on acoustic treatment to solve the low frequency issues I am having. Probably the answer is a bit of both?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@pmc

Two channel is most definitely best left to just two speakers... Especially with Ib2's which are most assuredly reaching down into the subsonic spectrum (<20hz).
Ian, quick question, the ib2 spec is down to 25hz. In your reply are you saying the ib2 does actually dip below 20hz? I ask becausevthere is a powered version that goes down to 19hz and I'm wondering if it is a speaker design or how they are powered that creates the difference. -Jeremy
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Hi Jeremy,

The IB2 passive and powered versions both dip below the 20hZ register. The fully active version of the IB2 will indeed measure lower as the cabinet size and transmission line design is slightly altered from the original IB2 cabinet. More depth, and the line fires from the top, also the amplification section is completely built in.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Joost,
Nice system.
You are right about the combination of the two. Passive treatment is a good place to start. Here's a couple DIY links you may find useful
Steven P. Helm: DIY Bass Traps
This one has a video link
Acoustics Forum &bull; View topic - Studiotips SuperChunk
These traps will help gobble up the low frequency mush that's hanging out in your corners (Standing waves). Then you fine tune speaker position.
It's a starting point.
Good Luck
Jack