AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Check the Ground wire from your cable line (that goes into your house) that is attached to the main ground rod (your electrical box is grounded to). Sometimes this clamp gets corroded or loose and WILL cause a hum........
I loathe when that happens!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Semi-audiophile

Just put my ears up to the speakers. No hum.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Just put my ears up to the speakers. No hum.
Was the clamp loose?
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Was the clamp loose?
I didn't check the building ground, though it is a possible culprit. Also, this is an apartment building with limited access to such things. Before, I'd controlled it with a Mondial Magic Brick. The cable company once suggested that the building ground was the probable culprit; of course they would, but they could be right. Nevertheless there was no problem until my current setup. By lifting some grounds I'd gotten it out of the main system and it came and went through the TV. But again, since I went back to HDMI from my cable box to the VP, no hum, at least not when I've checked for it.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:27 PM

I am glad the hum disappeared.... Sometimes the root source of the ground loop is difficult to identify.
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Semi-audiophile

If I had a house, more money and more space I might actually have a second system for just music; no cable, so no ground loop. The only reason I got cable was the poor reception in this area. Interestingly, even when I had the hum, if I chose another input on the VP besides cable (say, a BD player), the hum went away. But again, I was using component video with RCA audio cables on the cable box (A Scientific Atlanta; the latest Samsungs look really cool though; they almost match the McIntosh gear I have, especially when on).

I wonder what happens if I get a new preamp (C48, C50, JC 2, maybe C2300 or LS27) and put a Stratus on it? My current preamp has a captive cord, so I can't add one there. I have a couple of WW Auroras and could use one of them, I suppose (still don't like the jacket color, though). That might be another surprise.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Semi-audiophile

Long overdue update. I got a Mac C2300 preamp and along with the necessary system reconfiguration, the hum went away. It did return when I had the ARC preamp in the system while the 2300 was off for a repair; lifting the ground got rid of it. What was curious is that I did a brief comparison with the two preamps in the system and there was no hum.

With the push to clean up my cable clutter (power cords mostly) I want to replace the 2m Stratus on the Kuro; it's much too long. Wireworld now offers 1.5m cords in their Series 7 line, and by what I've been told Series 7 is a real upgrade over the 5.2 Cords. In fact, a Series 7 Stratus is about equivalent to a 5.2 Aurora, and so on up the line. But now the question is, do I get a WW Stratus Series 7, or a Shunyata Venom? Presumably the Venom's IEC will fit the PRO-111's connector; it looks as if it would. The Venom is $45 more.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Semi-audiophile

Based primarily on Puma Cat's recommendation a Shunyata Venom 3s is on the way, slated to go on the TV; the Stratus will be repurposed elsewhere, perhaps the tuner. We'll see if there's another "surprise result." As long as the IEC connector fits the Kuro's slot I shouldn't much care, but who knows? The Venom 3s is longer than I'd prefer (1.75m, about 5'9"), but still 9 inches less than the 2m Stratus on the TV now.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Semi-audiophile

The Venom 3s arrived this week. Perhaps this weekend I'll be able to connect it, but I have more important things to get to first. Out of the box, it's pretty flexible, which I like. But then, it's 14AWG. I have seen some similar gauge cords that were less flexible.

Anyway, it will replace the Stratus 5.2 on the TV. I just got a Stratus Series 7, but that goes to the CD player.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Does wireworld sell any power cords with 20A plugs?