AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default McIntosh MC601 Review

by J. Dan Daniell

I first began to fantasize about owning McIntosh MC601 amplifiers in January of this year after the CES show. The seed was planted when the first photos were posted and conversations about the 601 began to generate a healthy buzz. I continued to read about and discuss these gorgeous amps, and as the months past the seedling grew until fruit was born. Two McIntosh MC601 mono block amplifiers now grace my main sound system with their presence and have permanently replaced the wonderful MC501’s I have enjoyed so much.

McIntosh has been quietly introducing amplifiers that reflect a new direction for the typical McIntosh house sound. As I now understand it, it began with the introduction of the MC2Kw and 1.2Kw amplifiers, continuing to the MC2301 tube mono blocks, and has progressed to the newest McIntosh amplifiers, the MC452 and the MC601 mono block. The amplifiers mentioned, with the exception of the MC2301 tube power amplifier and the MC1.2Kw, now have the advantage of ThermalTrak transistor output devices. Each ThermalTrak transistor is able to adjust its own bias voltage continuously in real time based on its actual operating temperature at any moment, thus ensuring optimum low noise performance and vanishingly low distortion specifications. I suspect the new amplifier circuit designs also use a number of upgraded parts in the signal path, and may even sport new audio circuits all together. Whatever McIntosh engineering has done to the newest stable of amplifiers, the changes have created an audible improvement in performance and represents a new distinction for the traditional McIntosh sound.

Once the MC601’s were installed in my main system rack, I double checked the slide switch on the amplifier’s rear apron that selects balanced or unbalanced interconnects. I have it set to balanced since I am using balanced Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 interconnects between the C1000P preamp and the MC601’s. During the break in period I removed the MEN220 from the signal path between the C1000P and the MC601’s, although I am still using the MEN220’s active crossover function between the preamp and the JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer. Both MC601 amplifiers are powered by a PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator using two meter Wireworld Silver Electra power cords. There are two Power Plant Premiers in the main system, each fed from separate dedicated 20 amp circuits. One Power Plant Premier feeds the two 601's, and the other Power Plant Premier feeds the preamp and source components.

Installing the MC601’s on the same shelves in place of the MC501’s required relocation of two 120mm 12 volt DC cooling fans mounted on the rear shelf edges. The new amplifier depth is 22 inches, and consumes the entire rack’s bottom shelf depth front to rear. The MC601’s are big, with the cooling fins installed on the sides of the amplifier versus the rear mounted cooling fins on the MC501’s. After making the power and audio connections to each amp, and connecting the mini plugs for power control, I was ready to go. Pressing the Standby button on the preamp immediately powered up the entire sound system. My first impression was how beautiful the larger meters look on the face of the MC601’s, and how mesmerizing the needle movements are once the music begins. The new meters are exceptionally alluring surrounded by polished black glass and attractive anodized aluminum handles.

When I began to play music with the MC601 amplifiers I had a preconceived notion they would mimic the break in performance I experienced with the recently installed MC452 amplifier in the studio system. The MC452 went through a bright sounding period that lasted more than 50 hours before gradually settling into its permanent voice that is now smooth, detailed, and liquid. I was actually dreading the possibility of going through this process again with the MC601’s, but the bright period never materialized. What I experienced surprised me. From the first minute the amps began to pass sound, the 601’s exhibited a firmer grip on the PMC EB1i’s woofers. To make sure I was really hearing what I thought I was hearing I turned the Fathom f113 subwoofer off. Sure enough, the bottom octaves coming from the PMC woofers clearly had a new found definition, demonstrating a faster pace on initial bass note attacks, while at the same time revealing rapid bass note changes without a hint of overhang or smear. It has now been 51 hours since the initial power was applied to the amplifiers and the same sense of firm control and quickness is still apparent, but not just with the bass as first noted. The quicker pace is now undeniable throughout the entire midrange as well. The McIntosh sound we know and love is still thoroughly woven through the core of the MC601’s character, but to use an analogy, the weave of the fabric is now tighter, smoother, and woven from a silkier thread. The new amplifier’s pace is such that the essence of real performers and instruments glisten in imagined holographic images that are clear and deep. These visions literally hang in open space between my speakers where I now find it easier to use far less imagination to arrive at full blown illusions of musicians, vocalists and instruments in my room. The sensation of real music with all of its transparency, perfect timing, immense resolution and unbridled dynamics is wholly exhilarating. Add to this a pure deep velvet blackness of absolute background silence from which the faintest of audible nuances can be discovered, and the total combination of sonic pleasures become proof that the MC601 is an amplifier to be revered.

I have been on a CD and SACD playing frenzy since installing the MC601’s in the main system. Not once have I listened to the MS750 or vinyl since installing the new amps, only the MCD1100. My reasoning is I want to use only the very best source available to me while I evaluate the new amps. I want unwavering consistency from the source component. The many variables in source recordings are what they are, but the source component must remain coherent and true. I have played everything from classical violin to jazz guitar, from female vocals to raspy blues, from solo acoustical piano and guitar to hard rock electric guitar and raw power drum solos. I kept searching for a disc that might uncover some hidden flaw in the amplifier’s ability to portray a believable and completely engaging performance. I have failed to uncover that flaw, and now believe my search was in vain. I am not trying to say I have discovered the perfect amplifier, but the McIntosh MC601 is as near perfect as any amplifier I have ever owned. Does the MC601 slay the MC501? No, but there is no denying the MC601 adds a fresh measure of pace, rhythm and timing to the mix that cannot be ignored, even by seasoned die hard 501 owners. Remember, I was a happy and satisfied MC501 owner, too.

Not only is the MC601 a flamboyant visual knock out with its return to a smooth black glass face, new tapered handles and large blue meter, it now delivers a sweeter voice that’s as pleasing and enchanted as a sparrow’s song on the window ledge. It whole heartedly lives up to a live quartet performance in a smoky jazz club, a full blown rock concert, or the huge crescendo of a large orchestra in all its grandeur. Everything is present. The purity of the 601's sonic signature is a fresh step in the right direction from previous McIntosh amplifiers I have owned and loved. The new amplifier leaves me wanting for only one thing, more time in front of my speakers. Yes indeed, the new McIntosh MC601 amplifiers are as good as you’ve read about, and then some. There is one big drawback. Turning the MC601 amplifiers off in the wee hours of the morning is now more difficult than ever before.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-22-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Now that this review is posted, I'm sad I have to go out to eat
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaJean View Post
Now that this review is posted, I'm sad I have to go out to eat
Order in!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Remembering Dan

Great review Dan.....as expected. I need to make it over one day....no, wait; maybe I better not.

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 08-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Dan....Another excellent review!!

Dario...are you reading this? yet?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Nice review Dan!

Superbly written!

Your review is consistent with my experience and reading it makes me want to sit in front of my system for a few hours !

For anyone considering the MC601, please read this review a few time, I'm sure it will push you in the right direction
Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Great review Dan.....as expected. I need to make it over one day....no, wait; meybe I better not.
Pete.......Auditions are free.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
Dan....Another excellent review!!

Dario...are you reading this? yet?
'cisco.......Thank you. It might be time to consider mono blocks for your system.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaJean View Post
Nice review Dan!

Superbly written!

Your review is consistent with my experience and reading it makes me want to sit in front of my system for a few hours !

For anyone considering the MC601, please read this review a few time, I'm sure it will push you in the right direction
Ludwig.......I appreciate your kind words. I just can't seem to turn the 601's off.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Pete.......Auditions are free.
That's not what he's afraid of. But we all know that !