AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I would not be surprised if the the C1100 becomes a 2 chassis design stacked liked the C50 ie one box .
This is a great idea!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jim.......I don't know who all the players are who are designing and manufacturing DACs these days, but I have read of new Burr-Brown 32 bit/192kHz DACs. Esoteric uses the new Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) top-end 32 bit/192kHz DACs. Wyred 4 Sound uses the newest ESS Sabre Reference 32 bit/192kHz DACs in their DAC2.

I don't know why McIntosh doesn't state in the literature who manufactures the DACs in their newest products. It will come to light eventually, so why not just tell us.
From what I read it is the implementation around the DAC, the power supply and the analog stage, that is the most significant. Still the new Sabre dac has been presumed at this site to be the one they are using.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
From what I read it is the implementation around the DAC, the power supply and the analog stage, that is the most significant. Still the new Sabre dac has been presumed at this site to be the one they are using.
David.......I agree with you about the importance of the power supply and the analog stages associated with a given DAC. The entire support circuitry before and after the DAC dramatically impacts its performance, but the DAC, or multiple DACs in the case of the ESS Sabre Reference 32 bit/192kHz circuits, do the heavy audio computing chores. There is a definate difference in the way audio sounds through different DACs. Having enjoyed listening to the marvelous sound of the ESS DACs in the MCD500, I have a sweet spot for their engineering prowess. I hope the gossip about the new McIntosh C48/C50 DACs being the ESS Sabre Reference are true. In my mind, this would add some serious credibility to their value.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM

I find it interesting that there is so little information on these products that are already hitting the market. The website has yet to be updated.

Marketing should be all over this.

Mike
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM

The ESS DACs in the MCD500 are at least 2 standard deviations better than the Burr Browns in the MDA1000 and the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. The MCD500 has been a big success for Mac as a result of that decision. It would make sense that they would stay in the same family while designing DAC's into the C48, C50, MCD1100, and the C1100C/P/T.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
The ESS DACs in the MCD500 are at least 2 standard deviations better than the Burr Browns in the MDA1000 and the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. The MCD500 has been a big success for Mac as a result of that decision. It would make sense that they would stay in the same family while designing DAC's into the C48, C50, MCD1100, and the C1100C/P/T.
Depends on who is doing the design. Am guessing that McIntosh does not have a strong digital design team in-house when there are so many excellent shops for same. They only need enough talent to insure they get what they pay for. Why carry the burden of a full-time engineering staff when you can farm out to an engineering design team that specializes in same, as needed?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Depends on who is doing the design. Am guessing that McIntosh does not have a strong digital design team in-house when there are so many excellent shops for same. They only need enough talent to insure they get what they pay for. Why carry the burden of a full-time engineering staff when you can farm out to an engineering design team that specializes in same, as needed?
I agree but it does leave you open to Men220-like circumstances. It also makes one query the logic of buying all gear from one brand when the brand's expertise is more clearly defined in one particular area e.g. amps.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I don't remember the name but Sam Tellig referenced the 'digital dude' at Binghamton responsible for designing the mcd500. I sem to recall the same guy has designed all of the recent Mac CD spinners. Will have to recheck the review.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I believe it is safe to say that no single individual is responsible for a McIntosh component design. They have a team of electronic design engineers. Certainly, we can expect that there will be one or two key design engineers with a stronger background in digital concepts, versus another with a strong background in analog design. The same can be said for solid state versus tube circuit designers. I don't believe McIntosh is subcontracting their design work to anyone, unless they are licensing patented circuit designs such as the Room Perfect used in the MEN220. The design engineering team will rely on data available from the manufacturers of DACs and multi-channel decoding processor chips as any good engineering team would, but McIntosh products as a whole are still very much designed and built in Binghamton, New York.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Dan....this is a quote from Ron-C over a year ago about the MCD-500....

Congratulate Ted Saito McIntosh Senior Digital engineer, it is his design 100%, with help on the chassis from the mechanical engineers. Ted has designed all of the disk players from MCD7000 forward. I keep telling him how pleased you all are with it.

Thanks,
Ron-C