AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-03-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanks everybody. The low impedance is no problem. I have some live performances that I play really loud easily hitting 120-240 watt peaks. My 1.2KW's don't even become warm and I am running off the 4 ohm tap. I really like my new 1.25KW. It handles my Thor so much better than my old 601. The Alexx really integrates well with my Thor. I run the Alexx full range and the Thor LP at 30 Hz with the 18 dB slope filter. I am surprised at how much better I like the Alexx bass than the Maxx3 bass. That was my other big concern other than the impedance. The Maxx3 was and is a really good speaker. I had realized for some time that it was not of reference quality as far as resolution was concerned and the upper midrange could be slightly rough hence all my room tunes were turned to absorbers but it made the room a bit like an anechoic chamber. With the Alexx being so smooth in the midrange and treble compared to the Maxx3 I was able to turn around 6 tunes to the diffuse side which gave me a livelier more involving sound and at the same time extremely smooth, extended, and detailed. One thing led to another and I purchased a Mac D1100 digital preamplifier for the best in Mac digital playback. Next I plan on purchasing some really reference quality speaker cables and interconnects between my preamp and power amp. Man those things are expensive. You would not want to know the price. I going to have to wait until next year for those unless I get a windfall.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One thing led to another and I purchased a Mac D1100 digital preamplifier for the best in Mac digital playback. Next I plan on purchasing some really reference quality speaker cables and interconnects between my preamp and power amp. Man those things are expensive. You would not want to know the price. I going to have to wait until next year for those unless I get a windfall.

Yep, you go deeper and deeper.

If your disciplined to wait until next year, consider taking your time to try various cables to bring it all together, and I believe many here know the costs and also the saying of “what happens in AA, stays in AA” [emoji851]
Old 03-04-2018, 04:36 AM

Congratulations with the new speakers
Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Life is beautiful

Charles, I remember that you have been thinking about upgrading your speakers for a long time.
Even the Alexandrias came into the picture, but you were afraid that they would be too large for your room.
I'm happy for you that you found the Alexx, and that they seem to work very well in your room.
Enjoy them to the fullest!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Charles, I remember that you have been thinking about upgrading your speakers for a long time.
Even the Alexandrias came into the picture, but you were afraid that they would be too large for your room.
I'm happy for you that you found the Alexx, and that they seem to work very well in your room.
Enjoy them to the fullest!
Yes, that is absolutely correct. I always wanted a reference set of speakers but always fell short. Although the XLF would definitely fit they would have been "stuffed". And then there was the enormous cost. I have always believed that the money in a hi fi system should be spent on speakers and around speakers. I have always had really high quality interconnects and cables. I have a very quiet system, meaning no hum of any kind at all coming through the speakers. I can tell any of you that if you have this issue you have a problem in my opinion. But now I would like to do a "connection" upgrade and it will take some time and money. But not this year.

I will send some pics. Its a disappointment to me that I am poor at photography and in posting pics because I personally like the way I have my system set up and its looks. I have all my equipment far removed from my speakers, except for the amps which are extremely well ventilated because they set on the floor on granite slabs (about 200 dollars apiece, very cheap but beautiful when it comes to audiophile racks). I keep my speaker cables very short and my amp/preamp connection quite long which is as I believe it should be. My Thor is set horizontally precisely in the middle eighteen inches from the rear wall and with the roll off beginning at 30 Hz there is zero localization effects. I will say again if any of you are thinking about speakers and like bass the way I do, consider the Alexx. The bass in this speaker is special. "Sudden" and balanced are the adjectives I would use to describe it. Most speakers are deficient in upper bass in regards to low and mid bass. The Alex does not over power you but you hear all the nuances of low bass and truly excellent upper bass so they excel in blue grass which has a lot of quick soft bass. You hear every note. However when the low bass is really there, the Alexx/Thor combo blows me away.

Last edited by Charles; 03-04-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add thought
Old 03-05-2018, 02:02 AM

Congrats... I would love to own Wilson Alexx some day. It's a world class product!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvibe View Post
Congrats... I would love to own Wilson Alexx some day. It's a world class product!
Thank you so much. I have spoken to my son and after I take some more pics he is going to post all of them. It certainly helps to have a son living with me who has degrees in IT and lives and breaths computers. So pics are coming.

You have an extremely well thought out system. What amp are you a using for your front speakers? Your choice of Theta is superb. The Berkeley USB-Theta Digital and Theta amplification is very smart. Could you speak a little to the sound this produces through your Wilsons?

Also I notice you are using AQ. I am gradually switching out my KK to AQ. I am going with Wel Signature, mainly, amp/preamp and amp/speakers. They are solid silver whereas my KK are select copper. I hope to be doing this in the next few months. Don't think I can wait till next year. We will see.

Last edited by Charles; 03-05-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Charles, i am for sure looking forward to see the pictures. And be dreaming of the great soundstage.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Here are the Pictures. We initially had difficulty with the site so we posted the important pics first. The last three are of the old system with the Mac 601 and Max3's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_113318.jpg (262.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_113336.jpg (230.3 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_131446.jpg (252.9 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 20180202_073043.jpg (337.2 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_093738.jpg (292.6 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_094456.jpg (338.1 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_110106.jpg (229.6 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_085259.jpg (275.2 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_092458.jpg (272.5 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_093640.jpg (270.1 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Charles; 03-05-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Listener in Training

Wow, congratulations Charles, that is quite a setup!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable