AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:13 PM

The Auralic software Lightning DS does Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and Internet radio. Like all streamer software you have to use Spotify's Connect app as they won't allow full integration. It then allows the Aries or Mini to show up as a device choice in connected devices.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Digital streaming audio quality is subjective. You should try the $35 Chromecast and A/B to the McIntosh MB50 and report back your findings using Tidal.

I'm curious.
Hey Poppy,

I spent a few hours listening to Apple Airport Express vs. the MB50 (I could not get the grime cast to connect to my network for some reason).

The result is clear to me, the MB50 sounds MUCH better. The Airport Express sounds like my speakers are in a box, the sound is a little muffled, not open and very “contained”.

So there is a difference in streaming quality, I just don’t fully understand it. I use an iPad and stream Spotify/Tidal to the streaming device. I output through toslink to the streamer.
Maybe the difference is not in streaming quality but rather in the processing done inside the unit before it outputs it to the toslink?
Old 01-07-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post

So there is a difference in streaming quality, I just don’t fully understand it. I use an iPad and stream Spotify/Tidal to the streaming device. I output through toslink to the streamer.
Maybe the difference is not in streaming quality but rather in the processing done inside the unit before it outputs it to the toslink?
So are you using the DAC in the McIntosh C2600 by using toslink to C2600?
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
So are you using the DAC in the McIntosh C2600 by using toslink to C2600?
Yes I am.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:47 PM

I wouldn't cheap-out so much on the streamer then and $500 would probably do it. As mentioned previously the AURALiC Aries Mini has great reviews comes in Black or White for $499. That would be a good comparison to the MB50.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-07-2018, 01:56 PM

I realize this thread is primarily asking about hardware solutions, but I have found using Roon for listening to Tidal, my own hard drive based music, and Internet radio to have greatly enhanced my listening experience. It is well worth at least trying out. Just my two cents. 🙂
Old 01-07-2018, 01:59 PM

Also remember you have to use a quality cable and not necessarily expensive. Not all cables pass signals correctly. I have good experience with Blue Jeans Cable's quality as mentioned.

Ivan can also help you with WW if you choose that route.

Ron
Old 01-07-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
The Auralic software Lightning DS does Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and Internet radio. Like all streamer software you have to use Spotify's Connect app as they won't allow full integration. It then allows the Aries or Mini to show up as a device choice in connected devices.
Hey jack,

Thank you.
So the Aries Mini does stream Spotify? I checked their website and they do not mention Spotify. It's good to know.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeylee View Post
I realize this thread is primarily asking about hardware solutions, but I have found using Roon for listening to Tidal, my own hard drive based music, and Internet radio to have greatly enhanced my listening experience. It is well worth at least trying out. Just my two cents. 🙂
Hey Mikeylee,

Roon is pretty cool, I played with it for a bit and it kept disconnecting from my network, so it took forever to launch it and wait for it to find the streaming device. Very frustrating experience. All my other devices don't usually lost connection.
I used it on my iPad connected to a server I installed on my Mac Mini.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:24 PM

I am starting a new thread, trying to ask for help comparing a few specific streaming devices.