AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Default Beginning to believe....

Well, I'm a little over 1 mo away from decision time on the the XLF. When I first became aware of the possibility of having enough money to purchase an XLF, frankly, I thought there was little actual chance. Things have changed. I still have one or two hoops to jump through successfully, though.

There were so many issues I couldn't even begin to go into them on the forum. So I won't. But here's the question: The new Maxx will almost certanily be coming out in 2015. I really like the sound of my Maxx/Thor combo right now. Should I wait or should I purchase now?

I can see the headline, "New Maxx beats XLF". So assuming I have the money (which I do) should I purchase the XLF or wait on the new Maxx? I bet the new Maxx will be a world beater. Advice would be much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Why would you think the a new Maxx will outperform a XLF?

Unless they also add increased adjustability to the a new Maxx in addition to new drivers/crossovers, it will still be easier to tweak a XLF (or X2) in difficult rooms or situations.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Why would you think the a new Maxx will outperform a XLF?

Unless they also add increased adjustability to the a new Maxx in addition to new drivers/crossovers, it will still be easier to tweak a XLF (or X2) in difficult rooms or situations.
Jim, I get from this that your vote then, money notwithstanding, in terms of sonics etc., would be for the XLF. Technology advances. I expect the new Maxx to be something special. JA said the Alexia almost the equal of the XLF right now. But this opportunity for the XLF will have about at 1-2 month window and will close. This is an extremely difficult decision for me.

You know they will add increased adjustability, IMO. They greatly improved Alexia's adjustability over the Maxx3. That's why it sounds so good. In addtion, I know the new Maxx will work in my room, based on the fact that I get superb sound from the old one. I don't mind waiting. I am playing devil's advocate.

Last edited by Charles; 12-05-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Add thought
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, I'm a little over 1 mo away from decision time on the the XLF. When I first became aware of the possibility of having enough money to purchase an XLF, frankly, I thought there was little actual chance. Things have changed. I still have one or two hoops to jump through successfully, though.

There were so many issues I couldn't even begin to go into them on the forum. So I won't. But here's the question: The new Maxx will almost certanily be coming out in 2015. I really like the sound of my Maxx/Thor combo right now. Should I wait or should I purchase now?

I can see the headline, "New Maxx beats XLF". So assuming I have the money (which I do) should I purchase the XLF or wait on the new Maxx? I bet the new Maxx will be a world beater. Advice would be much appreciated.
Now that's what I call a first world problem!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Now that's what I call a first world problem!
It's a huge problem for me. Once I hand over that check my first thought going out the door will be "you fool, you should have waited." What's your advice?

Last edited by Charles; 12-05-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM

In 2015 you'll be wondering if you should wait for the XLF update -- something better is always on the horizon. I went through the same dilemma last month when I purchased the Sashas just prior to the Sasha 2 announcement but bought them anyway and never regretted it. I'd go with what you can afford now.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
In 2015 you'll be wondering if you should wait for the XLF update -- something better is always on the horizon. I went through the same dilemma last month when I purchased the Sashas just prior to the Sasha 2 announcement but bought them anyway and never regretted it. I'd go with with you can afford now.
Thank you. There's going to be a waiting period. I know I will be beset with many thoughts, some positive some negative. When the speakers finally arrive I will forget all about my concerns. Still, an all new Maxx as I am expecting will be a blowout speaker, IMO, and there is the added adavantage of the certainty it will work in my A-Frame.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Still, an all new Maxx as I am expecting will be a blowout speaker, IMO, and there is the added adavantage of the certainty it will work in my A-Frame.
Now that's a whole different issue. Peter McGrath said that the Alexia will actually perform better than the XLF in certain rooms. If your room is not suited for an XLF, you should stick with the Maxx.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Charles
If money was no issue I would go with the XLF's. That said if you have other audio items you might want to upgrade then Alexia's a 1/4 the price or waiting for a new Maxx and about 1/3-1/2 of the price might me good.

I would never push someone towards a purchase as large as the XLF unless they would never have buyers regret on spending that amount on speakers.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Charles
If money was no issue I would go with the XLF's. That said if you have other audio items you might want to upgrade then Alexia's a 1/4 the price or waiting for a new Maxx and about 1/3-1/2 of the price might me good.

I would never push someone towards a purchase as large as the XLF unless they would never have buyers regret on spending that amount on speakers.
Most things in life become obvious. Of course I will experience buyer regret and doubts between the order and the delivery. That's inevitable. At this point I have never been more conflicted about virtually any decision in recent memory. Perhaps with the new year things will become clear. I just can't give up on the XLF. I dream about having those beauties in my rec room and now it is actually possible.