AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-04-2018, 01:47 AM

Default Mark Levinson 585

Great sounding integrated.

https://youtu.be/i2U7TQDtYPg
Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 AM

Had a chance to audition the 585 a few weeks back with the Focal Kanta's with both Esoteric and EMM Labs front ends and I thought that while overall the combination did a lot really well ... detail retrieval, imaging, and really, really extended bass ... might be a little aggressive on the top end when pressing hard on the volume. That said ... at more moderate volumes sounded incredible and the amp never seemed to run out of power. Don't know that either the speakers or the amp were fully broken in so that could be a big factor as well. Definitely a bit of a new sound for the Levinson gear and am hoping to try out the new 523 pre in the months ahead as a potential replacement for my 326s. I'm just glad to see the brand back again!

George
Old 02-04-2018, 07:03 AM

I agree... I liked it too

The volume control is PRECISE!

0.1 steps...
Old 02-04-2018, 09:43 AM

I have had a 585 in my system with a pair of Revel Ultima Studio 2's for several months now and am absolutely thrilled with the combination. It replaced a Krell S300i integrated amp and PS Audio Nuwave DAC and the Levinson unit is a huge improvement over my old Krell/PS Audio combination. Plus it made the system simple, clean, and very user friendly. I enjoy a big multi component system as much as the next guy, but for my purposes I could not be happier.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Good to hear positive feedback. In my earlier days of high end audio I've always been impressed by Mark Levinson although could never afford the brand. When I could, it seemed the better days were already behind them. Perhaps there is still a future for the brand now. I'll have to stop by and audition the 585 since one of my local dealers carries the brand and it's been a while since I've even seen it.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stollen View Post
I have had a 585 in my system with a pair of Revel Ultima Studio 2's for several months now and am absolutely thrilled with the combination. It replaced a Krell S300i integrated amp and PS Audio Nuwave DAC and the Levinson unit is a huge improvement over my old Krell/PS Audio combination. Plus it made the system simple, clean, and very user friendly. I enjoy a big multi component system as much as the next guy, but for my purposes I could not be happier.
I’m so impressed with my Mark Levinson gear that I’ve already decided on a No. 585.5 to replace my 536/523 combo if my health situation doesn’t allow me to return to work. I’ll keep the Salon2’s and Studio2’s no matter what. Just this weekend I finally hooked up my TT with very low output MC Ortofon cartridge. Holy sh#t, now I know why vinyl lovers can’t let it go! After only 2 albums played, I’m not ready to call a victor vs. digital, but there is enough goodness in this ML gear that I’m not straying if I need to change, and that includes the phono preamplifier.

I can’t imagine the 200w 585.5 not being enough given how effortlessly my 536’s dish out SPL. I realize they’re rated at 400w vs 200w, but the effortlessness is why I’m confident.

Last edited by Karl Maga; 02-05-2018 at 02:52 PM.