AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-09-2017, 12:05 AM
docmd2010's Avatar
docmd2010 docmd2010 is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 529
Default

I have. I streamed Norah Jones this morning on Tidal vs DSD Files I have stored on there. There is a difference. DSD file is much more engaging with more space and dimensionality. Also I get much more presence in Norah's voice.

I also own Norah's SACD set, so I look forward to comparing the P02X spinning the disc vs the DSD file on the W20. I have an inkling of what will sound better.

The P02X and my turntable will serve the purpose of playing the recordings that shine in a redbook cd, sacd, and vinyl; those that simply sound better when physical media is present as opposed to being streamed on the W20. The W20 will certainly be my playback workhorse, if this makes any sense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Congrats on the W20! Have you compared Tidal streaming to HiRez music stored on the unit? I'm very interested to hear a comparison between the P-02 and W20 as well. I hope your new system is everything you want it to be.

Dave
__________________
Magico M3
Mcintosh 601
Mcintosh C52
Wireworld platinum and gold cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM
popspin popspin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Lightbulb Love this review thread!

This review is timed just right for me. After tearing down and rebuilding my listening space earlier this year I am ready to upgrade my N100h to ether the N10 or W20.
I was headed towards the N10 but now better understanding the differences between the units I will look at the W20 again. I don't want to get the N10 and wish I'd bought the W20, then lose dollars on the eventual change to the W20.
I love my N100h and can't wait to hear what improvements the higher Aurender model will bring to my system.
(I haven't identified my system so quickly it's Theta Casablanca IVa, Ayre MX-R mono locks up front, Ayre stereo for tears, KEF Balde Two's and KEF Reference center and surroUndo, JL212's, Cardas cables, Artnovion acoustic treatments, Berkeley USB to AES converter), Oppo 205,Sony Ae1)

One question: I noted your preference for the Esoteric vs th Aurender. I wonder if something in the Esoteric's circuitry is responsible for the difference? If Esoteric made a streamer would it b superior? I guess I wonder how a device with more moving parts and greater chance for "error" sounds better than a player with no moving parts.

Thanks.
popspin
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM
docmd2010's Avatar
docmd2010 docmd2010 is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 529
Default

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. The advantage of the Esoteric DAC is I can separate out the left and right channels when streaming high rez music via dual aes/ebu.

This leads to a low noise floor and allows the Esoteric DAC to do what it's best at.

If you're having the notion that you may upgrade from a future N10 to a W20, then I would just jump to the W20 straight up, way cheaper that way.

Esoteric does in fact make a streamer, it's called the N01. It was just recently released. It has a very high quality DAC in it, and it's a one box solution.

I prefer a separate outboard DAC as I have multiple units that I plug into it (my P02X) for example which take full advantage of the D02X capabilities.

I hope this helps.
__________________
Magico M3
Mcintosh 601
Mcintosh C52
Wireworld platinum and gold cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-07-2017, 04:15 PM
popspin popspin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Default

Hi Aditya:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough with my question. Let me try again.
In fact I may be confusing threads.
Question: have you found a CD player that competes favorably with the W20? If so, i wondered how a device with a laser and disk could compete with a device devoid of such moving parts.
Appreciate your thoughts on going directly to the W20. I also want my DAC separate from the streamer.
Thanks.
popspin
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM
docmd2010's Avatar
docmd2010 docmd2010 is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 529
Default

Ahh, got it.

I own a P02-X (Esoteric's transport) which is connected via dual HDMI to my DAC. Same level of cabling (platinum starlight) as the W20 which is connected via dual AES/EBU.

My P02-x has about 200 hours of break in time so it's still opening up. I think where the P02X really shines is when I play SACD's. Playing the same DSD file on the W20 vs the SACD version is what i'm referring too. I find the low end to be cleaner and tighter with the P02x, and the mids are a little bit more smooth. There is more air around instruments and the music comes to life more.

Redbook CD's played on the transport sound quite similar to the same burned file on the W20. If you blind tested with me with both of these-I guarantee I could not tell the difference. I'm sure others might be able too.

The differences come much more apparent when I play the album on the transport and then stream the same thing on tidal on the W20. The difference here can be distinguished and is a stepup with the transport.

Overall, the P02-x wins out. You may ask, why do I own both? Good question. I have the W20 for everyday listening. I try new stuff out on the W20. When I find a really good recording, I buy the physical media (whether it be the CD/SACD/Vinyl), because I want to hear everything on that recording! I never want to own more than 500 CD's and no more than 500 LP's. The ones I do own however should be the best of best in terms of sound.

Note the P02-X has Esoteric's top of the line transport and has its own power supply, and that's why I consider it to have the edge as I described above.

Above all, when you get to this level of gear, the differences between one thing and the next are personal preference. A difference to me may not be a difference to you or the other way around.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. One thing is for sure, you will not be disappointed with the N10 or W20.
__________________
Magico M3
Mcintosh 601
Mcintosh C52
Wireworld platinum and gold cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-18-2017, 01:35 AM
PlanarSpeakerFan's Avatar
PlanarSpeakerFan PlanarSpeakerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
I received my W20 4 days ago, after a 2 week wait. My friendly dealer sent it to me ASAP. It arrived extremely well packed. Double boxed with the unit wrapped up in a cloth sleeve.

I connected my 4 meter WW silver electra power cord to it. 2 WW Platinum starlight 7 AES/EBU digital cables went from the W20 to the Esoteric D02X. I uploaded all of my music onto it; and three days later, everything was ready to go.

I literally was waiting to come home from work today and listen to the W20 all day.
I also connected my N10 next to it so I could do A/B comparisons.

For those of you that are unfamiliar, here are the major differences between the two units:

1. The Aurender W20 is the world's first music player to completely eliminate noise from AC power supplies and AC mains through the use of LiFePO4 batteries to power audio components. This takes the unit off the power grid. The batteries power the unit when it is playing. Also, if there is power outage, the W20 is protected and quietly powers down. The N10 does not have a battery backup.
2. Dual AES/EBU connections. This completely separates outputs into left and right channels. The N10 only supports 1 AES/EBU
3. The ability to connect an external master clock
4. There are additional outputs on the back of the W20 as well.


On to the music:

The first word out of my mouth was “wow”. Truthfully, I was not expecting a susbstantial difference. My impressions were that the major differences between the N10 and W20 would become clear when a master clock was connected.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The soundstage significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY increased in depth. Even my non-audiophile wife, who can never hear differences when I make major component changes indicated that the soundstage was significantly deeper. There was three dimensionality that I had never experienced before. The stage became much more black with a tremendously low noise floor. I was hearing very subtle nuances in music. It was like the performers were now floating. Female vocalists are so much more embodied and real. Details are just pouring out of musical performances.

I auditioned the N100 when I got the N10 and was blown away at how much better the N10 sounded. In fact, I have even stated in several previous posts that the N10 is the “sweet spot” in the line. Well, I was proven wrong.

When I compared both these units side by side today, everything I stated above was present but to a much smaller degree. The difference between these two units is profound, and I would even state that the performance gain going from the N10 to the W20 was much greater than going from the N100 to the N10.

Really what this exemplifies is how important taking care of power really is. Taking the W20 off of the grid makes a world of a difference. Now, I’m sure that adding a dual AES/EBU connection has added quite a bit as well.

I am so happy with this purchase. Congratulations to Aurender on a truly magnificent product.

Please see pics below!
I would say the N10 is still the sweet spot of price vs. performance but the W20 is clearly the best performer in the Aurender line. Congrats and enjoy your new W20, and thanks for your review!

Ken
__________________
Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock, Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus; Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:25 AM
edwhto edwhto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 10
Default

Congratulations. I am an owner of W20 too. It is really state of the art. Do you connect a master clock to your W20 too?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM
docmd2010's Avatar
docmd2010 docmd2010 is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwhto View Post
Congratulations. I am an owner of W20 too. It is really state of the art. Do you connect a master clock to your W20 too?


I have not connected a clock yet but do have plans for it in the future
__________________
Magico M3
Mcintosh 601
Mcintosh C52
Wireworld platinum and gold cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:18 PM
GW1800's Avatar
GW1800 GW1800 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
I received my W20 4 days ago, after a 2 week wait. My friendly dealer sent it to me ASAP. It arrived extremely well packed. Double boxed with the unit wrapped up in a cloth sleeve.

I connected my 4 meter WW silver electra power cord to it. 2 WW Platinum starlight 7 AES/EBU digital cables went from the W20 to the Esoteric D02X. I uploaded all of my music onto it; and three days later, everything was ready to go.

I literally was waiting to come home from work today and listen to the W20 all day.
I also connected my N10 next to it so I could do A/B comparisons.

For those of you that are unfamiliar, here are the major differences between the two units:

1. The Aurender W20 is the world's first music player to completely eliminate noise from AC power supplies and AC mains through the use of LiFePO4 batteries to power audio components. This takes the unit off the power grid. The batteries power the unit when it is playing. Also, if there is power outage, the W20 is protected and quietly powers down. The N10 does not have a battery backup.
2. Dual AES/EBU connections. This completely separates outputs into left and right channels. The N10 only supports 1 AES/EBU
3. The ability to connect an external master clock
4. There are additional outputs on the back of the W20 as well.


On to the music:

The first word out of my mouth was “wow”. Truthfully, I was not expecting a susbstantial difference. My impressions were that the major differences between the N10 and W20 would become clear when a master clock was connected.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The soundstage significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY increased in depth. Even my non-audiophile wife, who can never hear differences when I make major component changes indicated that the soundstage was significantly deeper. There was three dimensionality that I had never experienced before. The stage became much more black with a tremendously low noise floor. I was hearing very subtle nuances in music. It was like the performers were now floating. Female vocalists are so much more embodied and real. Details are just pouring out of musical performances.

I auditioned the N100 when I got the N10 and was blown away at how much better the N10 sounded. In fact, I have even stated in several previous posts that the N10 is the “sweet spot” in the line. Well, I was proven wrong.

When I compared both these units side by side today, everything I stated above was present but to a much smaller degree. The difference between these two units is profound, and I would even state that the performance gain going from the N10 to the W20 was much greater than going from the N100 to the N10.

Really what this exemplifies is how important taking care of power really is. Taking the W20 off of the grid makes a world of a difference. Now, I’m sure that adding a dual AES/EBU connection has added quite a bit as well.

I am so happy with this purchase. Congratulations to Aurender on a truly magnificent product.

Please see pics below!
I'm interested in the W20 also moving up from the N10. However I would not be able to take advantage of the dual AES connection and not all that interested in a WC. At Axpona I was advised at Aurender that moving up to the W20 would not be that much of an effect but maybe running on battery power will. However you have good results without a WC but are using dual wires. What I'm asking is can you try with a single AES wire and respond back on the difference that sound is compared to the N10 and dual wire AES?

2 Channel: Bricasti M12 DAC & M28's Mono's Black / Aurender N10 Black / Treatments: RPG BAD ARC panels (F, S, Bass Trap & R walls)
Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's Subs tuned w/PBK
Grounding: Nordost QKore 6 (2-M28, 1-N10, 1-M12, 1-QB8, 1-Router) / 8' Earth Ground Rod / Bricasti M12 w/Acoustic Revive RGC-24
Nordost: 5-QV2 & QK1, 2-QX4 / 12-TC Kones, 27-Sort Fut & 28-LIft / O2/V2 Pwr / O2: SC, Digital & XLR's / H2 Network / V2 RCA Sub's
Misc: Mini iPad / Furutech GTX-DNCF / LED lighting / Aurender AMM / Lovan Rack / SR Quantum Blue Fuses & Black Box
Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6-Vanquish, Focus / Parasound: 3-A23 &1-31 / Entreq SM /65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60/ Nordost Tyr 2

Last edited by GW1800; 05-17-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 PM
SCAudiophile's Avatar
SCAudiophile SCAudiophile is online now
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greer SC
Posts: 2,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
I have not connected a clock yet but do have plans for it in the future
I have heard the W20 with a good word clock,...the results are extremely impressive. There is a G01x word clock here for sale at a killer price by ariess that would make a great pairing...
__________________
Legacy Audio CaliberXD custom, dual Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet, Esoteric P-02, D-02, C-02, and A-02, Cybershaft Custom Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Computer Audio/Rip Playback: Apple MacBook Pro 15” 2019, 6-core i9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD (Music Library, Playback S/W & O/S here), Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, etc….
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase