AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I'm just admitting that I'm open to the idea because I see parallels with other senses.
LOL..........you just can't admit it can you !! ......
Old 08-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
LOL..........you just can't admit it can you !! ......
Not after I just bought TA ref ic's and SC's! Noooooooo
Old 08-12-2017, 04:42 AM

The debat about cables is one that will keep coming up, IMO the following points are very important before you should start comparing cables:

- Is your power supply up to the task (equipment correctly phased, preferably separate audio groups for analog/digital)
- Are there any "bottlenecks" in your equipment. (it will never sound better then the weakest link)
- Are your speakers set up correctly in the room (so important !!)
- Optimized room acoustics and system tuning.

When all points are ticked, I am confident that your system can highlight differences between cables.

I agree some prices for cables are getting stratospheric, I would not pay USD 80000 for a pair of speaker cables either, but just purchase the cables that suite your budget and system.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
This is NOT accurate!

You forgot Stillpoints!
Damn it! ...
Old 08-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
One could say the same if you paired perception with either of those.
I'm in more agreement on perception paired with reality than with theory (though not in total disagreement). Let me attempt to explain.

Quite a while back, I heard a radio program featuring Jay Kessler, a counselor who often answered listener questions. Someone had written in asking whether it was okay to date someone who was much older (or younger) than oneself. Mr. Kessler replied that, everything else being equal, theoretically, age didn't matter; he then went on to describe how the age difference could matter in reality and the need to be mindful of that. As Mr. Kessler was a Christian counselor, one could assume the Bible's concept/definition of love was the objective standard he used as basis for his statements. That standard isn't based on externals or secondary things (age, race, appearance, money, etc.), but would be based on the person, who he/she is. Indeed, the concept is borne out in my own life as I have a couple of women friends who are young enough to be my daughters, yet as one of them once e-mailed me, "I understand that our friendship is perhaps somewhat 'unconventional,' but I'm perfectly fine with that. To be honest, I don't lend much thought to it. I enjoy your company simply for who you are (:" (italics mine).

A theory is based upon a set of facts/principles obtained through inquiry, scientific or otherwise. Where I agree with your statement regarding "theory" is if the investigator brings some personal bias to the process and then interprets or alters the results according to that bias, or dismisses out of hand any result that doesn't agree with it. That is not the case ideally, and I'm coming from the place that the facts are what they are and the theory is based on them with no taint. Since everybody isn't using the same copper, materials, or even the same manufacturing processes, I think it possible that cables can sound different, and my own listening experience bears that out (and I'm not even a hard-core audiophile). In my system it seems that the further down the chain, the bigger the difference. I have an "objective" curiosity, and when I've put new/different ICs in my system it was to see if there was a difference, not to confirm a pre-conceived bias.

I have a pair of Transparent Super ICs on the way, and I will determine for myself if they make an important difference in my setup or not.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 08-13-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 PM

The issue, as I see it, is that theory differs from fact (and, therefore, from reality) in that it is incomplete and/or imperfect. This is despite our practical reliance on theory when necessary. Perception (in a neural rather than a social sense) is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 PM

interesting Kal, one would think our 'practical reliance' should be on fact ..........
Old 08-13-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
The issue, as I see it, is that theory differs from fact (and, therefore, from reality) in that it is incomplete and/or imperfect. This is despite our practical reliance on theory when necessary. Perception (in a neural rather than a social sense) is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
One observation I had is that there are inexpensive cables that handle 5GHz just fine for broadcast and antennas. Obsessing over the 20-20,000Hz spectrum seems illogical in comparison.
Not to be argumentative and not doubting your 5GHz statement regarding commercial applications, what if the 20-20,000Hz plot of consumer cables look like a roller coaster or a normal curve with the frequency extremes severly attenuated or...

You get my point, I think.

Regards,
Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
I agree, and it's a point I left out of my post. Facts suggest a certain principle, which is our theory. But that doesn't mean the theory is applicable universally. While my example with my friend fits the theory, proving its validity, I'm quite sure reality would intrude if either of us suggested taking the friendship in a deeper direction. Age would make a difference then, demonstrating the theory doesn't apply perfectly in every situation. For another example, the theory of evolution has more than its share of flaws, with little/no solid evidence to suggest it should be taken as universal fact, yet many people do. There are other underlying issues at work in that case, however.

The Transparent Super ICs I have coming are almost $1K for the pair. While not an obscene amount of money, it's a lot for me. I never imagined spending that much for interconnects. And to go up the ladder further would be impractical and, I dare say, unwise. Ultra is twice the money, and I'm sure won't offer twice the improvement. No, Super is more than fine for my equipment level.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Closed Thread