AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Guestbook > Personal Introductions

Personal Introductions Feel free to sign in

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM

...And the girls are full. ... of great tips too.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFz View Post
Hi Julian,
Thanks for welcome. I hope the Grand Veenas do work in my room. Since I'm planning on getting a used pair, it should be an incredible value.

Unfortunately things have hit a snag...I no longer have my wife's blessings at the moment. The deal was if I sold my current audio equipment and did not dip into our checkings/savings, she would be alright with the speakers. Well, she probably didn't think I would be able to pull it off but I have. I sold some of my home theater setup which consisted of Definitive Technology towers. I also sold some vintage receivers that I collected over the years in addition to some newer integrated receivers.

Now I have amassed the funds for the Grand Veenas, and now my wife thinks I'm crazy to spend 3-4k on a pair of speakers. I have not violated our agreement to not dip into the savings mind you, but she cannot fathom spending that kind of money on speakers and is daring me to do so

True there could be better timing, we just bought a house that needs some work. But, I never would have sold any of my current setup if I didn't think I could get something better! I see now that this was a misconception from the beginning to make me sell my speakers and, with the money, invest them into new floors or furniture instead of buying Veenas. Oh the joys of marriage

I'm still working on her, but it doesn't look promising. I think I may need to buy a puppy on the same day the Grand Veenas arrive.

If I get lucky enough to my wife's blessings for the Veenas, for the time being it will be used with a vintage Luxman R-1120 receiver which has been restored. It's a very warm, sweet, almost tube sounding solid state. The source would be the Sony PS1 or Audio GD Reference One DAC.

One day if funds permit, I would like to try the Veenas with the Leben CS600 or a Shindo preamp/amp combo.

In the meantime, I'll peruse the forums for tips on how to handle and work around the WAF.
Welcome. If I may say so, you made the classic mistake of involving her too deeply in the buying process. Consulting on aesthetics is OK, but price should be danced around like a professional tap-artist. If talk of price cannot be avoided, talk only in terms of the incremental cost relative to things that have been sold. You will be tempted to tell her of all the money you made with the latest sale; resist this temptation. Remember, nothing is about absolute numbers, only marginal differences. Imagine if you had just said "Honey, look what I was able to upgrade to for less than $500!" No problemo. Instead, you allowed her to consider the other things that your $4k could have been used on in your household.

Remember, there will ALWAYS be a vacation that should be saved for, or a room that needs remodeling, or -something- else that your wife values above your audio journey. One might think that involvement equals her getting excited about and endorsing the expenditure. Wrong. She probably will not understand why purchase X is worth Y thousand when her friends have a perfectly cute Bose system!

I jest somewhat here -- please don't get into trouble with your gal due to my advice. If open and honest conversations are a must, then you might need to start with used equipment for a few years ... until your relationship reaches that time-honored point where each of you just buy stuff without asking permission from the other. :-)

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.

Last edited by kfr01; 05-10-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM
From the BAT cave ...

CFz, welcome aboard. I think Reference 3A makes some great speakers.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM

Thanks Chessman/Karl,
One day soon I hope to own a pair. I'm still fighting the good fight with the wife, but it seems like a losing battle at this point. She is daring me to buy them, telling me to "do whatever my conscience tells me is the right thing to do...". Well, my conscience is telling me to GO FOR IT!

Men truly are from Mars and women from...another galaxy.
I read somewhere that Einstein first tried to understand the female mind, became frustrated, and moved onto something a little easier to comprehend like quantum physics.

Last edited by CFz; 05-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
... She is daring me to buy them, telling me to "do whatever my conscience tells me is the right thing to do..."...
Yeah, you should buy them. It'll be fine. You just married her and gave her a house. You'll rarely have more credit with her than you have right now.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Thanks Chessman/Karl,
One day soon I hope to own a pair. I'm still fighting the good fight with the wife, but it seems like a losing battle at this point. She is daring me to buy them, telling me to "do whatever my conscience tells me is the right thing to do...". Well, my conscience is telling me to GO FOR IT!

Men truly are from Mars and women from...another galaxy.
I read somewhere that Einstein first tried to understand the female mind, became frustrated, and moved onto something a little easier to comprehend like quantum physics.
CFz.......Women are from Guilt. Men are from Pleasure. The two rarely see eye to eye with the exception of the occassional 20 minute interludes. Get what you want. If you wait for the blessing to come you'll look like Rip Van Winkle by the time it arrives.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the comments Dan/Karl...I wonder, are either of you married?
And if so, do you recommend kevlar or dragon scales?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Music Provides Joy

Yup, very happily married.

Neither kevlar nor dragon scales are needed. Like I said, it'll be fine. Really! :-)

(edited to keep it light)

Last edited by kfr01; 05-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01

Welcome. If I may say so, you made the classic mistake of involving her too deeply in the buying process. Consulting on aesthetics is OK, but price should be danced around like a professional tap-artist. If talk of price cannot be avoided, talk only in terms of the incremental cost relative to things that have been sold. You will be tempted to tell her of all the money you made with the latest sale; resist this temptation. Remember, nothing is about absolute numbers, only marginal differences. Imagine if you had just said "Honey, look what I was able to upgrade to for less than $500!" No problemo. Instead, you allowed her to consider the other things that your $4k could have been used on in your household.

Remember, there will ALWAYS be a vacation that should be saved for, or a room that needs remodeling, or -something- else that your wife values above your audio journey. One might think that involvement equals her getting excited about and endorsing the expenditure. Wrong. She probably will not understand why purchase X is worth Y thousand when her friends have a perfectly cute Bose system!

I jest somewhat here -- please don't get into trouble with your gal due to my advice. If open and honest conversations are a must, then you might need to start with used equipment for a few years ... until your relationship reaches that time-honored point where each of you just buy stuff without asking permission from the other. :-)
This made me laugh harder than anything else in the last month ---- thank you!!!

It is all so true. That "classic mistake.". We want a sounding board yet are seeding our own demise!!

Remember , when logic meets emotion logic loses every time.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES