AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Smile

First... j3brow, thanks for your comment. The new Yvettes are Desert Silver with those light gray matching grills. The monochrome look in our light Florida house should be stunning. Delivery is now tomorrow. Stillpoints or not?

Mikeoz... Good thoughts. Another Yvette design feature, the cabinets, are significantly different than Sophia.
The Sophia is an excellent speaker. When I purchased my Sashas, I listened to Sophia and Sasha 1 back and forth in the same room on the same equipment with my music for hours and the difference was really small. Maybe in a larger room there would have been a greater contrast.
The Yvette cabinet is now bigger, almost as big as Sasha, and made of more modern stuff. And all three drivers of Yvette are upgraded from Sophia as well. My friends, dealer and the Wilson folks all tell me the Yvette out performs Sasha 1, but not 2. For the price, if it fits your room acoustically since it is not adjustable for time domain, Yvette may be the relative bargain speaker in the Wilson line. And, still have the JL Audio f113 I bought to supplement the Duettes. Guess I'll be turning it way down.

Until tomorrow morning I'll just listen to my Duettes. Pretty nice when I pull them up to nearfield.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 02-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
First... j3brow, thanks for your comment. The new Yvettes are Desert Silver with those light gray matching grills. The monochrome look in our light Florida house should be stunning. Delivery is now tomorrow. Stillpoints or not?

Mikeoz... Good thoughts. Another Yvette design feature, the cabinets, are significantly different than Sophia.
The Sophia is an excellent speaker. When I purchased my Sashas, I listened to Sophia and Sasha 1 back and forth in the same room on the same equipment with my music for hours and the difference was really small. Maybe in a larger room there would have been a greater contrast.
The Yvette cabinet is now bigger, almost as big as Sasha, and made of more modern stuff. And all three drivers of Yvette are upgraded from Sophia as well. My friends, dealer and the Wilson folks all tell me the Yvette out performs Sasha 1, but not 2. For the price, if it fits your room acoustically since it is not adjustable for time domain, Yvette may be the relative bargain speaker in the Wilson line. And, still have the JL Audio f113 I bought to supplement the Duettes. Guess I'll be turning it way down.

Until tomorrow morning I'll just listen to my Duettes. Pretty nice when I pull them up to nearfield.
I believe it. I've not directly compared, but I've heard Yvette's several times now, and I used to own Sasha 1's, now 2's. Yvette is incredible for the money. I don't think the Sasha 2 has much on it, to be honest.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks both for the insight. I'm in no hurry to change. Sounds like the Yvette is something I should take a long hard look at. The switch to the Sasha 1 has been on my mind for a while - those comments are very helpful.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:00 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post
Thanks both for the insight. I'm in no hurry to change. Sounds like the Yvette is something I should take a long hard look at. The switch to the Sasha 1 has been on my mind for a while - those comments are very helpful.

Got the Yvettes today. As they are made in one piece they do require two strong guys to get them out of the box. But once out easy to deal with due to the supplied wheels.
Now to the good stuff. I was stunned. After more than two years of fighting the large, highly reflective room, these babies just took charge of that same space. What was I worried about? Someone called the Yvette a mini Alex... I get it now.
Wilson always displays their large models in huge beautiful, highly reflective rooms. Well, those big beauties take charge sonically of their giant environments. Yvette is doing that here. They are actually using the hostile environment to advantage, giving additional life to the sound. Without exaggeration, it didn't take five seconds to hear the stunning improvement. Oh yes, they sound terrific too. It's all there. This is a great speaker. And I guess they will improve with some break in. More to come and some pictures.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Got the Yvettes today. As they are made in one piece they do require two strong guys to get them out of the box. But once out easy to deal with due to the supplied wheels.
Now to the good stuff. I was stunned. After more than two years of fighting the large, highly reflective room, these babies just took charge of that same space. What was I worried about? Someone called the Yvette a mini Alex... I get it now.
Wilson always displays their large models in huge beautiful, highly reflective rooms. Well, those big beauties take charge sonically of their giant environments. Yvette is doing that here. They are actually using the hostile environment to advantage, giving additional life to the sound. Without exaggeration, it didn't take five seconds to hear the stunning improvement. Oh yes, they sound terrific too. It's all there. This is a great speaker. And I guess they will improve with some break in. More to come and some pictures.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

A special word of thanks to Bill. His personal evaluation of my situation and on target advice was critical to this decision on the Yvette purchase.
You are a credit to the Wilson firm. I now understand why they brought you aboard. Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:52 AM

Awesome! Look forward to seeing the pictures!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Enjoy! I have been very pleased with mine. Yvette is great at reproducing piano (excellent micro-dynamics and macro-dynamics) with superb neutrality and 'speed'. And, wait until you hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir imaged the width and height of the front wall of your listening room. The sense of space imparted by Yvette is amazing for a speaker at this price point.

Have fun!

Bob

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 02-09-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Fix word.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
I now understand why they brought you aboard.
So what you're saying is that you didn't understand before?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsli View Post
So what you're saying is that you didn't understand before?
Bob did not know me before he contacted me about his complex room dilemma. He asked me about his room and how to address his issues. Room traits are usually pretty predictable. I suggested to Bob what would happen based on loudspeaker choices and his room. It appears that the solution I suggested was a good one.

Were you to look through the AA archives, I think you would find I try to help regardless of brand involved.

Last edited by metaphacts; 02-17-2017 at 02:18 PM.