AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 06-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
The iOS App, as far as I understand, will function solely as a remote.

If anyone has ever used JRemote w/ JRiver, the feature of streaming one's libary over a mobile connection is excellent.

So that^ AND the ability to sync songs to the Roon App on the Andriod/iOS Device for local playback is something I am going to request from Roon.
Poking around on the Roon Forums, the iOS app is coming, but has to make it through the Apple Store certification process-which could present delays.

Delays would be related to ensuring safety, privacy and functionality. I doubt Apple would subterfuge Roon's app; The timing ( June / July ) coincides with their Apple Music release. Which Apple Music promises much of the Roon's functionality with tighter integration with Apple products and lossy audio.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 06-20-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:59 PM

As a Meridian user with a large collection already on a MD600, the support to migrate right now just isn't there. I downloaded and Roon is really slick, so looking forward to their continued development. But as of now, as I understand it, Roon can't read files directly from the MD600. What they are essentially saying (I think) is you would have to export your entire collection that is currently on a Meridian MD600 (which works fine with Soloos software) on to a NAS, and then Roon can read it. Doesn't really make any sense-- why would Meridian announce the partnership and outsourcing without support for their current products? Sorry, this just left me a little confused.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjayh View Post
As a Meridian user with a large collection already on a MD600, the support to migrate right now just isn't there. I downloaded and Roon is really slick, so looking forward to their continued development. But as of now, as I understand it, Roon can't read files directly from the MD600. What they are essentially saying (I think) is you would have to export your entire collection that is currently on a Meridian MD600 (which works fine with Soloos software) on to a NAS, and then Roon can read it. Doesn't really make any sense-- why would Meridian announce the partnership and outsourcing without support for their current products? Sorry, this just left me a little confused.
Yeah that's^^ not good.

I believe you have the concept right and if you want Roon, you will have to give in to the idea of local storage or a NAS drive.

The bigger question is, will Meridian have a new Controller?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:47 AM

Later on, I think it might make sense to offer one. But right now we need to see how Roon pans out.

When Skylake CPU (very energy efficient thus heat efficient) is out i think I might even look at if it can be accomodated possibly in an MC200. Because I do appreciate the size of the MC200 and slickness and appeareance is clearly better than a standard NUC.

But I'm missing iOS app and Linux Docker support atm which could mean I'll just put it on a modern intel NAS with SSD's. But still I want that easy outboard PSU which the MC200 presently uses so I can put a well engineered medical grade SMPS or linear R-core PSU or whatever.

And still I'm using my Sooloos system every day, the audio quality is stellar and I know I will need the above ingredients to get it to sound as good as my pimped Sooloos MC200.

Last edited by Crion; 06-24-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Thank you Bill for turning us on to Roon. The download and install was seamless and easy. A fabulous user interface and the sound quality is very good. With the recent addition of DSD support and future iOS it is a very complete solution.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Thank you Bill for turning us on to Roon. The download and install was seamless and easy. A fabulous user interface and the sound quality is very good. With the recent addition of DSD support and future iOS it is a very complete solution.
Your welcome! I am just a big a fan about all of this as anyone else. Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Not only does Roon support most audio file formats, sample rates, and bit rates, but delivering bit-perfect audio to your rendering hardware is central to the design of its playback engine.
https://roonlabs.com/trial.html
^^^^^^Nothing new there been doing that for years with ASIO direct that is now supported nativlely in Windows 10 and maybe 8.1 Imagine that ?

You can also do bit perfect ones and zeros off a motherboard header AKA asynchronous clocking USB 2.0/3.0 you already have connected to your USB ports .☻☻

Seems like a lot of money for what is otherwise likley just an enhanced library / media browser / subscription guide/catalog and matadata retreiever and maybe an EQ effect / GUI for DSP hdwe and GUI you already have all which is fine and may be usefull to some .

If you want the prtemium enhanced media browser and library and integration go for it nothing wrong with that if you don't mind the tariff but I'm not buying the sound or digital transport improvement claims IMO that's about as likley as women on Venus .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-24-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
...snip...
Thank you for your opinion. To save money, use http://www.allmusic.com for an even richer metadata interface. Roon has licenced AMG's data.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Thank you for your opinion. To save money, use AllMusic | Music Search, Recommendations, Videos and Reviews for an even richer metadata interface. Roon has licenced AMG's data.
Thanks for the heads up I'm good .....I've got a new native UI music player app/library in Windows 10 that's pretty slick that reteives meta data , cover art and other info and organizes it all quite well and W10 supports ASIO direct and ofc the usuall asynchronous clocking bit perfect USB .

I also have commercial vst plugin emulators for any numbner of classic and modern outbaord studio gear and eq pieces here on the daily driver here I'm on right now plus a commercial sound editior in here .

And all ^^that and much more commercial stuff in the studio workstation here .

ofc all that pro stuff[/U] was considerably more expensive than this Meridian/Roon stuff by country miles (thousands of them) but it has other uses also

You know what they say if you go digital go big or go home

My opinion is based on establishedd PC digital standards and transport /format protocals (not vauge undocumented ) audiophile marketing spin and a software DSP you likley can find as similar open source zzzzzzzzz .

Srictly from a digital sound perspective with an ordinary software DSP maybe with good and advanced functionality and everything else going for it above that for the tariff go for it if you see value there but (with all things being equal) it wont *sound any better* than any other *properly* configured playback chain and decent playback software and DSP GUI.

Chrome browser can render lossless audio digital descrete time signals as good as anything out there if you are streaming .

I don't doubt as a convenient one stop solution Roon/Meridian might be worth it for the intuative behavior, advanced media brower/library / data subcription services and DSP GUI and those enhanced compatabilities it has all in one spot no harm in that at all

One caveat:

Software players EQ and DSP can add compression/limiting based effects and delays and EQ all raisiing the noise floor and thd+n but it can't improve a bad recording or any recording only make it sound *different* unless you are remixing in *uncompressd 24 bit or more* that's the long and short of sound wise it take it for what its worth.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-24-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Rebellious!

I am happy that you have found a solution and invested in your interests.