AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Yggy vs.Mc 150

Giving some thought to replacing my beloved D100 with a new D150 or possibly a new Yaggy.
Any thoughts on performance from current Yggy owners?
Curious to know if I would see a noticeable improvement in sound (the age old question

What say you?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Giving some thought to replacing my beloved D100 with a new D150 or possibly a new Yaggy.
Any thoughts on performance from current Yggy owners?
Curious to know if I would see a noticeable improvement in sound (the age old question

What say you?
Humbuster.......Your McIntosh D100, like the Yggdrasil, is a PCM only digital to analog converter. The McIntosh D150 adds DSD decoding which the Yggdrasil does not provide. If DSD decoding is important to you, the Yggy won't meet your criteria. Also, the two McIntosh DAC's also provide variable output capability that is not available on the Yggdrasil, so if having that option is important then again, the Yggy won't meet your requirements. On the other hand, if you are looking for exceptional PCM decoding to rich, authentic, engaging analog, then the Yggdrasil deserves your attention. The two McIntosh DAC/preamps use delta-sigma DAC chips. This approach to digital to analog conversion is entirely different than the ladder DAC's used in the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil. Until you've had the opportunity to hear a well designed ladder DAC you will not know how much better music sounds versus a delta-sigma DAC.

If you have not read my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review, or my Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil comparison, you may find some interesting information to help you make an informed decision.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-02-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:42 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Humbuster.......Your McIntosh D100, like the Yggdrasil, is a PCM only digital to analog converter. The McIntosh D150 adds DSD decoding which the Yggdrasil does not provide. If DSD decoding is important to you, the Yggy won't meet your criteria. Also, the two McIntosh DAC's also provide variable output capability that is not available on the Yggdrasil, so if having that option is important then again, the Yggy won't meet your requirements. On the other hand, if you are looking for exceptional PCM decoding to rich, authentic, engaging analog, then the Yggdrasil deserves your attention. The two McIntosh DAC/preamps use delta-sigma DAC chips. This approach to digital to analog conversion is entirely different than the ladder DAC's used in the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil. Until you've had the opportunity to hear a well designed ladder DAC you will not know how much better music sounds versus a delta-sigma DAC.

If you have not read my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review, or my Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil comparison, you may find some interesting information to help you make an informed decision.
Spot on...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by jdandy; 02-02-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Cool, calm scientist

If I were to hazard a guess, a fully run-in Gen 5/Analog 2 Yggy will, and pardon me for saying this, very likely blow the doors off an MC D100.

IMHO, a D/S DAC can't hold a candle to a well-designed and implemented Multibit/R2R DAC when it comes to musicality, naturalness, and "life-like-ness". Once you hear that D/S "glare", you can't unhear it anymore.

So, Humbuster, with respect to your question as to whether you'd hear an improvement with Yggy?

YES.

Just my 2˘. Take it FWIW.

Stephen, sittin' here lovin' life and listening to his Gumby and the inimitable Grant Green, playing a 24/192 version of "Idle Moments".

Bliss....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-02-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Humbuster, did you ever get a Yggy? I too have a d100 and have been thinking about a Yggy for some time-
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 02-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

someone want to explain the difference between a delta-sigma DAC and ladder DAC
Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
someone want to explain the difference between a delta-sigma DAC and ladder DAC

https://www.headphonezone.in/blogs/t...vs-delta-sigma
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post

thanks!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:05 PM

Ladder DACS

The Ladder DAC or "Bits Ain't Necessarily Bits", Part I

https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-...ts-part-i.html

Part 2

https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-...s-part-ii.html
Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Ladder DACS

The Ladder DAC or "Bits Ain't Necessarily Bits", Part I

https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-...ts-part-i.html

Part 2

https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-...s-part-ii.html
As eluded to in Part 2, McIntosh DAC's are firmware based, using the chips in a proprietary way with the goal of eliminating intermodulation distortion. Their exclusive 4DAC/channel balanced digital design is intended to cancel out distortions other designs overlook.