AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Now, as a follow up to my last post I have an interesting tube rolling suggestion based on my lp-3a which has 9 pin sockets. The rear driver is a 6cg7. Up front I run Russian rocket 6h1n-eb tubes. When DH did the upgrade he suggested I try 6cg7s up front. This very much implied to me that the circuit was possibly the same as the lp-3a with octals and 6sn7 all around. So I tried the 6cg7s up front, which I have heard described as a 6sn7 in a smaller bottle. I quickly went back to the Russian rockets. It has been a good while and I do not recall the particulars but I did quickly go back. I also tried a numbers of 6dj8 variants, always ending back with the 6h1n tubes. So here is my suggestion. Those tube rollers with an Octal lp-3a try the 6h1n tubes with a 6cg7 to 6sn7 adapter. Two tubes with adapters maybe$40, so not to much invested. It might be worth an inquiry with Dennis to make sure, but my meager understanding of compatibilities and personal experience says it may be worth while. As always, let us know your actions and results.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Hey All,

For those of you running an Inspire 45 SET amp, I'd be curious to know what rectifier tube your utilizing and with which 45 tubes? What do you hear with your combination that you like?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 02-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
I'd be curious to know what rectifier tube your utilizing
Although I don't have a 45 amp, I do have 80s rectifiers.
Philips Miniwatt square pan getter is bananas.

I can't see any on eBay right now tho... but something to look out for. I got a pair for $80.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Any thoughts on 80 vs. 5Z3 rectifiers?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Default Inspire amps Compare to CAD-300sse mono amp

Does anyone know if any of the Inspire amps sound like the CAD-300sse mono amps.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson51 View Post
Does anyone know if any of the Inspire amps sound like the CAD-300sse mono amps.
Dennis loaned me his personal pair of 300 sse mono blocks awhile back and to me they sounded flat and dare I say, uninspired compared to his new line up. Talk to Dennis about a Model 19 amp and don't worry about yesterday's news...
Old 02-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Texting back and forth with DH this morning and he tells me in a short while he will be building some PSE parallel single ended 45 amps. Uh-oh....
Old 02-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
Texting back and forth with DH this morning and he tells me in a short while he will be building some PSE parallel single ended 45 amps. Uh-oh....
Your bank will be open in the morning.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Hi there everyone.

Was hoping I could pose the questions I asked to Dennis via ebay here as well. Been over a week or so and haven't heard back, so thought I'd solicit you all as well since it sounds like many have direct experience with many of his amps and continuing development.

Right now I'm looking to compliment a bottlehead crack headphone amp/hd580. I've got a very small space (12x13) with 2 adjoining rooms of roughly equal size on 2 of the 4 sides. Right now I have no speakers or preamps or anything other than the noted headphone amp. My plan was to feed whatever amp digital audio & flac files for now. I listen to most everything. Classic to hard rock, lots of jazz, female vocals, electronica, classical, folk, rap, everything. Value resolution over loudness, prefer moderate listening levels, like bass, but dont need / want it to shake the house. Have a bit of a preference too for a slightly laid back warm sound, which is why I guess I'm looking at a tube amp. Specifically, it's the way I've read Dennis write about his amps, talk about listening, and reading here that's drawn me to his stuff.

Given my blank slate, where should I start with his amps? SET 45? 300B?

Couple of other questions to go with the DH amp recommendation;
Given my small space and whatever amp you think might be best, what might be a few suitables speakers to look at? Been looking at Omega and Tekton at the moment to give an idea of budget as well.

Is it possible (and able to produce decent results) to run one of these amps off a digital audio player (2V max out I believe)? One of the main reasons I've been trying to reach Dennis directly is to ask about this and the possibility / necessity of adding a volume control to his amp rather than also need to get a preamp if I dont need one. If anyone's willing could you please email me his contact info to pechelman AT gmail?

Really appreciate any advice here. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson51 View Post
I suggest you correspond with Dennis directly.