AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 11-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
timm, just to prove I have made every mistake possible, I did not run any 20 amp lines when I had the room built out. Simple reason - I did not know any better. Now I have a dual mono amp with two cords, three subs that each sport a 2500 watt amp, and two racks of other gear. I desperately wish I had four 20 amp dedicated circuits on the same phase, two on the front wall and one on each of the left and right walls. Would have been easy before the drywall went up. Now, it would be a hassle.
Haha!! I get it! .
Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 AM

Agreed with everyone on professional acoustic consultation and dedicated line.

I quite like what RivesAudio designed for my room. They are familiar with planar speakers.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Racing Hoopties

Thinking through this a little more and I am wondering about the drop ceiling suggestion. I fully understand the flexibility it provides to run wires and maintain access over time but I would ask If you are interested in isolating your upstairs from the music downstairs. If so, then running whisper clips and drywall (if you have the height to sacrifice) would provide that isolation and dampening.

Just another design thought.

My room is isolated on all walls and especially in the ceiling as my family (TV) room is above it and it would be intolerable to the boss if I hadn't isolated my dedicated room.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Isolation treatment and acoustic treatment are, of course, two different things. I would still put sound isolation material between the floor joists when using a drop ceiling. But since acoustic absorption panels are made in the 2'x2' size used for "drop in" the drop ceiling allows for both. It would be less effective than double drywall and green glue over sound insulation as far as "quiet in the rest of the house" goes, but would be a compromise allowing some built-in acoustic treatment.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Well. Yes. The thought was suspended ceiling with insulation between the joists. So yes I do need some isolation from the great room upstairs. So the thought was insulation / drop ceiling. Are you thinking that might not do the trick?

I used to have a ranch and the bedroom was above. I now have a colonial so the bedrooms are upstairs. And as u said ... 'The boss'...we referred to her as 'the warden' did complain. .