AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 AM

unitycoupled....beautiful pics of your systems.
HAROLD... Pioneer Elite 7.1 Rcvr, (2)MC402 Power Amps, MC58 Multi Channel Amp, Vienna Beethovens and Oratorio Center, Boston Surrounds, (3)Outlaw Subs,(2)PS Audio PPP, Panasonic LCD Proj, Oppo Blu-ray, AppleTV, WireWorld Silver Electra Power Cords.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:47 PM

I put a Soundsmith Zepher on my VPI Classic, since it was designed to go on the unipivot arm and am very happy with the sound. I may have been just as happy or happier with another cartridge but it is impossible to make comparisoins between various cartridges before purchasing.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Beautiful photos of your system!!!

Welcome to the Dark Side... there is no turning back now.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM

UNITYCOUPLED - Beautiful systems you have there. I have been in the market for a VPI Classic for sometime now however I have still have not pulled the trigger. Is there anything you dont like about your Classic? I know they have a Classic 2 which gives you VTA on the fly and the Classic 3 which has alot of other goodies ( with a significant price jump) If your own opinion is there any reason to move up to one of those models?

Erik
Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Mid field maven

@Jeff, Greg, Dave, Harold, two_dot, Erik: Thanks for the comments on my pics, guys. At the moment, the VPI is connected to the C50/MC452/Summits. I am having Steve Blinn build me a new rack for the McIntosh tube system and once it's here, the VPI will move to that system. Can't wait to hear the VPI with the C22/MC275/Harbeth setup. Well actually, I've already tried it and it sounds great, but it will be nice to have it set up properly.

When I spoke with Mike at VPI, he seemed partial to the phono stage in the C22 60th. Apparently, it's the same phone stage used in the C2300 which he said is what they use at VPI as a reference.

-Jim
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Mid field maven

Thanks Erik. I think VTA on the fly would be nice to have. I don't feel any pain without it, since at the moment I'm using a cart with a spherical stylus which isn't as sensitive to the VTA adjustment as others. Even so, I'm not that much of a tweaker. Once I get things sounding the way I like, I pretty much leave things alone.

I'm still learning, so I'm not the best resource to help you decide. I think I might spring for the Classic 2 if I had to do it again. But I figure I can upgrade in the future since the Classic 1, 2 and 3 all are based on the same basic table. And as I go down the path, I'll learn more about what I want in a turntable. For now, the Classic 1 is just about everything I could want. I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vego99 View Post
UNITYCOUPLED - Beautiful systems you have there. I have been in the market for a VPI Classic for sometime now however I have still have not pulled the trigger. Is there anything you dont like about your Classic? I know they have a Classic 2 which gives you VTA on the fly and the Classic 3 which has alot of other goodies ( with a significant price jump) If your own opinion is there any reason to move up to one of those models?

Erik
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 AM

Unitycoupled : !
Beautiful systems and room : clean as in a dream.
You've got the best of both ( quad actually ) worlds : SS / tubes and Dynamic / ESL speakers.
Well done !
Enjoy them in great health.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 AM

Great pics Unitycoupled

Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Thanks for sharing. Really lovely.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Mid field maven

Thanks Jerome. One of the things I've learned about hi-fi is that it's very difficult to have the optimal setup for every application. Each manufacturer wants you to believe that their equipment is ideal for everything and all types of music.

I like the large, detailed soundstage created by the Martin Logan Summits for home theater. And the solid state electronics are well-suited to the kind of off/on cycles encountered in this application.

While the SS+ESL setup does play music beautifully, I just seem to get a little more from the valve system with Harbeth speakers. Listening to the Summits is like sitting in front of this big soundstage, while with the Harbeths I feel like I am going into the music. It's not necessarily a better or worse experience, just different, and that's the attraction for me - to hear distinctly different types of music reproduction.

In any case, as you say, it's nice to have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Unitycoupled : !
Beautiful systems and room : clean as in a dream.
You've got the best of both ( quad actually ) worlds : SS / tubes and Dynamic / ESL speakers.
Well done !
Enjoy them in great health.

Last edited by unitycoupled; 06-16-2011 at 10:34 AM.