AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

I got my dust cover from JMK Displays for half of what it would cost directly from VPI.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM

I received my VPI Classic 3 Rosewood with the 10.5" VPI Classic JMW 3D tone arm a couple of weeks ago but the phono cable I ordered (Cardas Clear) didn't arrive until yesterday, so I hadn't had the opportunity to listen to it. I set it up yesterday using the Soundsmith Counter Intuitive (came already installed on the arm - I had ordered one so now I have an extra) and the Soundsmith EZ Mount Thumb Screws (brass) and my Lyra Delos. Beautiful table. Easy to get level, easy to set VTA, easy to set overhang and alignment. VTF was a total pain in the ass to set up - now that it's set hopefully it will stay put. Azimuth was relatively painless with the SCI but I don't have much faith in that little silver bar thingy telling me its lined up properly - I hate the thought of spending $300 or so on a Fozgometer (I'll probably end up doing so at some point). The antiskate device seems to me to be a joke being perpetrated by Harry W on those of us who insisted on having one (like the previous twisting wire fix), I just can't see how it will work properly - but then again I had no problem tracking so I'm guessing the 10.5" arm largely takes care of antiskating all by itself (as Harry W advises that it will). I am running the TT without the matt - just the bare naked platter and the clamp. No outer ring clamp, no SDS. I am plugging it in to my Shunyata conditioner. No damping fluid.

So, after several hours futzing with set up and driving myself crazy (I'm not used to unipivot design set up), how does it sound compared to my old Clearaudio Performance DC and Clarify Arm? Bearing in mind that it's right out of the box and none of its cabling has broken in yet, awesome. Very black background, the surface noise seems to all but disappear (Mikey Fremer attributes this to the 3D arm), powerful and tight bass, great soundstage, very rich sounding. Listening to Rickie Lee Jones / Rickie Lee Jones (MoFi); David Crosby, Croz; The Doors, LA Woman (Rhino); and Muddy Waters, Folk Singer (Chess), I was really amazed at the clarity and richness of the vocals (all), acoustic guitar (Crosby & Waters), piano (Jones) and electric piano (Doors). My toes were tapping and I found it all to be not only more "musical" (to use that trite expression) but detailed as well. Just imagine how it would sound if someone competent was setting up the turntable!

Last edited by ChrisAZ; 07-23-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Chris, congratulations on your new Classic 3. It is a wonderful table. I love mine. I ordered a Soundsmith counter intuitive but wasn't able to use it with the standard arm and Lyra cartridge - my counter weight is as far forward is it can go and the counter intuitive was a little to much weight. I set my azimuth up with the metal bar and checked it with a Fozgometer and it was right on. I did notice an improvement using the anti skate. I don't use outer ring - I know I would damage something by mistake with it. I did use a SDS but prefer plugging directly into my power conditioner. I do also prefer an upgraded power cord but you need a right angle adapter. I also found replacing the feet inserts with Symposium ones was an improvement.

I also prefer the Rickie Lee Jones / Rickie Lee Jones WB/Rhino new release over the MoFi one - ordered them both by mistake.

Best of luck with your new TT.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira