AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 06-30-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review

Hi Dan - great read. As you may have read elsewhere I am just getting into the digital streaming stuff as I prefere Vinyl (as Medium).

My digital till now consisted of a simple Moon Neo 260 Transport into the McIntosh C52 integrated.

By chance I got a bargain on an Auralic Aries LE with SBooster Power Supply - so I started experimenting with Tidal.

I have now started ripping some CDs and compared the ripped files via Auralic to the CD playback via Moon.

First impression is the difference is minimal (if there at all).

Thus I considered to (maybe) switch to streaming only for digital and wondered if there was room for improvement.

Users have suggested the Schiit and your review (great read by the way).

As you also seem familiar with McIntosh I was wondering what you would think about upgrading and abandoning the C52s integrated DAC for the Schiit.

Do you think it would make a noticeable improvement?

It‘d be really great to hear your thoughts.

They don‘t have distribution over here in Germany I think - but just across the boarder in the Netherlands I could put my hand on one.

All the best from „across the pond“ !!!

Enjoy the music ✌️
Old 06-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Christoph.......The DAC in the McIntosh C52 preamplifier is a delta-sigma DAC. It converts the digital data stream in a different and less accurate mathematical manner than does the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil ladder DAC with its Closed-Form Digital Filter, a time and frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution that retains all the original samples, performing a true interpolation. The Yggdrasil DAC preserves the original samples all the way through from input to output. The results of this ultra accurate conversion delivers an astonishingly involving musical presentation.

I think I managed to clearly portrait my amazement of the Yggdrasil DAC and how it makes me feel when I listen to music through it in my review at post #1 of this thread. I also wrote the Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil comparison. The results of that direct A/B showdown provides crystal clear insight into the Yggdrasil's capabilities when compared to an audio component costing over 8 times the purchase price of the Yggy. Don't be fooled by the price because Yggdrasil is truly an incredible DAC in every respect against the big dogs.

Now, back to your C52 question. The DAC in that preamplifier is decent. It can decode PCM and DSD, where the Yggdrasil is dedicated to PCM only. If that is a concern, then you must consider the C52 DSD capabilities in your decision. In my opinion, for PCM playback the C52, as good as it is, is not in the same league as the Yggdrasil. It doesn't bring with it the emotional connection the Yggdrasil delivers in spades. If you are considering purchasing the Yggdrasil make sure you buy the latest version that includes the Analog 2 and USB Gen 5 upgrades recently incorporated in to the Yggy. The serial number for the latest version of the Yggdrasil begins with the letter B. Older model Yggdrasil DAC's have a serial number that begins with the letter A.

I hope my impressions help make your decision easier.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-30-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:56 PM

Another review:

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-s...dio-converter/
Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post

I have now started ripping some CDs and compared the ripped files via Auralic to the CD playback via Moon.

Thus I considered to (maybe) switch to streaming only for digital and wondered if there was room for improvement.

I agree that a well ripped CD will be indistinguishable (at least by me) from the original CD. But I think you will find that streaming will not match a locally stored file.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Hi Dan - great read. As you may have read elsewhere I am just getting into the digital streaming stuff as I prefere Vinyl (as Medium).

My digital till now consisted of a simple Moon Neo 260 Transport into the McIntosh C52 integrated.

By chance I got a bargain on an Auralic Aries LE with SBooster Power Supply - so I started experimenting with Tidal.

Users have suggested the Schiit and your review (great read by the way).

As you also seem familiar with McIntosh I was wondering what you would think about upgrading and abandoning the C52s integrated DAC for the Schiit.

Do you think it would make a noticeable improvement?

It‘d be really great to hear your thoughts.

They don‘t have distribution over here in Germany I think - but just across the boarder in the Netherlands I could put my hand on one.

All the best from „across the pond“ !!!

Enjoy the music ✌️

Christoph, there is a European Schiit distribution centre.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-01-2018, 07:30 AM

Hi - thanx, found it: https://www.schiit-europe.com

Will look into things...
Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Hi - thanx, found it: https://www.schiit-europe.com

Will look into things...

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-02-2018, 07:22 AM

Note that for whatever reason, quoted order to ship time for the Yggdrasil seems to be somewhere around eight weeks if not longer.

A person on another forum reports his unit, ordered July 3, has just been pushed out to August 12, its third delay.

Just a heads up if you have to have a DAC now.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Note that for whatever reason, quoted order to ship time for the Yggdrasil seems to be somewhere around eight weeks if not longer.

A person on another forum reports his unit, ordered July 3, has just been pushed out to August 12, its third delay.

Bill.......The wait is well worth it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post

Ordered my Gen 2 upgrade in April--no word on when I might be able to ship my unit in. My guess is a sourcing problem