AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Default AAD 7001 Rare bird New Speakers incoming

Hi All

The usual upgrade bug hit me, was enjoying Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M for past 4 years through Pass Int 150. Bought it used last time, I guess now us time to pass it on to another. Initially was aiming to get the logical replacement, either the SF Olympica 1 or 2 and we auditioned it me and my wife. We share music interest and the music server is as much here as it is mine so itit would have to be a combined decision.

As expected the Olympica is a safe bet similar SF house sound with more clarity and balls. We agreed to save and cough up for the O2. As both of us was sold on the scale and sound staging compared to O1.

We live in a small 500sqf apartment and the HT/hifi us in the living dining room. For reference I have a RELG2 there dialed to pressure the room just so, together with the Cremona M auditor, means very low setting but I love how it just disappears.

As usual we tried and listened to alternatives around same price bracket. Including:
1. Focal Sopra 1 and 2
2. B&W 805D3
3. Verify Finn
4. SPENDOR Monitor
5.TAD CE1

Amongst others. My wife from the first listen of Focal n B&W n TAD said straight NO. She told me the sound profile grates nerves like needle scraping. No offense that's what she said and told me we buy any of those and fights can happen. I was shocked ad those are top of li.e speakers. I do note that impact on the 805d3 though less on the Focal n TAD. I do quite like the Sopra though.

On last Saturday during our trips to several dealer I saw on a blow out a floor model AAD7001 at a small fraction of retail. Intrigued I dug around and it's designed by Phil Jones. Am a guitarist first n bassist second and am Familiar with the name as he's the founder of PJB. It's a compact, heavy and stout near field monitor aimed for production and mixing. Mainly used in mastering and recording studio. The few online review I found as below stated that it's a close to full range compact monitor with frequency response of 28Hz to 60k Hz. Basically opposite of the Sonus. That is not sensitive 86db at 8 ohm and can take up to 1KW if power.

Well what the neck I asked the sales guy can I listen to it he said ok come back half an hour as he need to sst it up. The monitors alone weigh 30kg, not including stand.
Hooked to a Krell Vanguard, source is simaudio moon 380, cue a Acoustc Guitar Jazz CD. Then I was floored. I've done acoustic and electric guitar and bass recording with my band, so I know what they should sound like and it is like the one am hearing with said speakers. It's a true reference monitor as it was marketed.

I was apprehensive if my wife would like it. And she told me; yes this is the sound an looking for, no second guessing. She asked me how much is it and it's easily half priced or less of the others since it's a floor model. Which after my I sell the Sonus Auditor at the going rate I'll probably have just topped up around 1k usd or less. My wife agreed.that it is a true reference monitor so usually if the recording sucks well can't save it but she told me in some ways it takes the best of the Sonus strength beauty and musicality and non fatiguing sound and added hyper realism and clarity like a veil was lifted.

So paid deposit and now in process of selling my SF AUDITOR apartment has no space for 2 speakers. Will deliver after it's sold.

I guess tone it's in the ear of the beholder and am chuffed to be sharing this hobby with my wife.

I'll probably get a pass X150.5 so I can bi amp it later on using the pre of the Pass Int150.

Will add more thoughts once it arrives.

Thanks for reading this rambling!

http://www.aadsound.com/products/?id=38http://

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio.../aad_7001i.htm