AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
+1

I think I would attend to agree with all you guys, it most likely comes down to the signature sound of each can at this level.

I would be fine with owning both. Amazing listening for sure!
Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM

You know, there are so many options and so many improvements, sometimes it is easy to get lost in the technology and trying to keep up; of which I am guilty of, and why I own over 40 pair of exotic headphones. When home last, I listened to a pair of Sennheiser 600's with a cheap Woo (SE-6?, one big tube and two little ones, I forget the actual model number) and was stunned at just how musical the setup was. Just something to ponder.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Comparing headphones to a full range speaker makes no sense at all. The only conclusion you can come up with is that either or both will give you a enjoyable listening experience. They are two different experiences.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Comparing headphones to a full range speaker makes no sense at all. The only conclusion you can come up with is that either or both will give you a enjoyable listening experience. They are two different experiences.
Jim, headphones win hands down in terms of sound quality for the simple reason that unless the full range speakers are properly setup, the room is of proper size, properly treated, the speaker is a good match for the room, the amplifier is a good match for the speaker, etc,etc,etc... all the typical variables that go into assembling a good to great 2 ch full range system is addressed, the results are not great. Now, we both know what an effort that is to get a full range system sounding great.

That is why experienced audiophiles that have experienced both would say this headphone easily approaches $60k, $80k or whatever... which is for the most part true except the actual $ amount as that is impossible to determine accurately but the concept itself is true.

A reference grade headphone driven by a great source and a well matched amplifier simply destroys anything that can be done at multiples of the price for full range. The reference grade headphone is a full range speaker of incredible performance that comes with a fully treated room!

Having said that, some people never can get used to headphone listening but for me personally, I would never go to such lengths to try to get the same sound quality from a full range system. The acoustic treatments alone cost me over $20k not to mention the other expenses of building out a dedicated room/theater that cost me in excess of $200-$225k some years back with the all the gear thrown in to the mix. (Wilson Alexia, Polaris center, Wilson surrounds, subs, D'Agostino amps, Transparent cabling, Bryston amps, etc....)

I am perfectly happy with getting outstanding sound quality without any room issues right between the ears at fractions of the expenditure. YMMV.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Sorry Serge. You are way off here. Headphones may give you a enjoyable headphone experience but it no way compares or competes with full range speakers. "Maybe" if you add a subwoofer to your headphone listening then you might feel the SPL in your chest and body. When one listens to live music the experience is physical and not just aural. That is what we recreate in our rooms.

Headphone are like watching a football game at home rather than being there. It is like watching a movie at home rather than going to a theater.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-23-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry Serge. You are way off here. Headphones may give you a enjoyable headphone experience but it no way compares or competes with full range speakers. "Maybe" if you add a subwoofer to your headphone listening then you might feel the SPL in your chest and body. When one listens to live music the experience is physical and not just aural. That is what we recreate in our rooms.

Headphone are like watching a football game at home rather than being there. It is like watching a movie at home rather than going to a theater.
The bass is actually outstanding in many headphones but it is true you will not feel it in the chest. If the physical experience is important to you then headphones will not replace that. As far as sports, I still prefer watching them at home. Movies, well the 4K TV I have smokes the big screen any day and once again I prefer the comfort of my own home with an adult beverage in hand.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Slightly off topic but....

At one point I was a huge hockey fan and going to the stadium in Philly to watch the games live in my 20s and early 30's had its moment. As I started to get older, I became increasingly irritated by beer guzzling, obscenity yelling, rude and obnoxious fans that did nothing to enhance my enjoyment of watching the game. I certainly did not feel the need to be a part of the experience and camaraderie of the sh*t faced fans throwing fists around and starting fights with the visiting fans... No thanks. I find much greater satisfaction of watching the puck on tv instead of watching little figures on the ice going back and forth and not seeing even 1/100 of the actual plays while South Philly Joe Schmoe next to me is having a fit that the team is loosing and throwing stuff at the visiting fans and is spilling his beer all over the seats and people next to him.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:37 PM

I have 4K too and we rarely watch movies at home. Movies are meant to be a shared experience just like most sporting events.

I could name countless movies that no matter how clear your picture you will never get the same feeling as when a couple of hundred people are gasping, cheering or laughing simultaneously.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:40 PM

Back to original topic.

I am not suggesting that headphone listening should replace a full range system for audiophiles by any means but will say that if you start comparing the frequency response of many speakers and especially "in room frequency response" one will be shocked how much flatter and well behaved the reference grade headphones without crossovers, time delay issues and room coupling can get and that includes direct comparison to any upper end speakers including Wilson.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I have 4K too and we rarely watch movies at home. Movies are meant to be a shared experience just like most sporting events.

I could name countless movies that no matter how clear your picture you will never get the same feeling as when a couple of hundred people are gasping, cheering or laughing simultaneously.
To each their own Jim and I completely understand if that is your thing. I am not Howard Hughes locking myself up in my home for months at a time but do prefer my entertainment from the comfort of my own home for the most part.