AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
That's what Dennis needs to come out with next! I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Beam powered pentodes and triodes like those mentioned run at completely different voltages. I feel like there was a quote from DH about this here on this thread a while back though I may be mistaken. Anyway, for those that want both the punch of an SEP and the sweet midrange of the SET I suggest you get both. If only one is in the realm of possibilities, the Universal SET pushing Pentode type tubes is the closest I have heard to having the best of both worlds, IMHO. They are going for a song right now on Ebay.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Beam powered pentodes and triodes like those mentioned run at completely different voltages. I feel like there was a quote from DH about this here on this thread a while back though I may be mistaken. Anyway, for those that want both the punch of an SEP and the sweet midrange of the SET I suggest you get both. If only one is in the realm of possibilities, the Universal SET pushing Pentode type tubes is the closest I have heard to having the best of both worlds, IMHO. They are going for a song right now on Ebay.

No, I wasn't clear, let me restate. I really like how the SEP amps can swap out a ton of different pentodes and not have to change amps.

I want that same tube swapping capability, but in an SET. So you could go from a 45 to a 2a3 to a 300b in the same amp, just using different rectifiers and proper adapters.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
No, I wasn't clear, let me restate. I really like how the SEP amps can swap out a ton of different pentodes and not have to change amps.

I want that same tube swapping capability, but in an SET. So you could go from a 45 to a 2a3 to a 300b in the same amp, just using different rectifiers and proper adapters.
Now that sounds like fun.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:25 PM

On another note, does anyone here go through a lot of type 80 tubes in there lp-27a? I seem to have them go bad pretty regularly. One or both sides just quit. Good thing the Sts are inexpensive. Not sure I want to burn up a globe as often as I would, though I have heard they do sound nice.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Well, I haven't had a 80 fail me yet in my LP-27a. I have been using a globe type for quite some time now.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 PM

Default They're back!

Just now getting reacquainted. Using familiar tubes. I will give the 6F6 a try soon.

Just have to move speaker cables from one amp to the other (using DAC as preamp for the J2) and make sure power to unused amp is off.

NAS (for music files)
SonicTransporter i5 (for Roon Core)
Streaming controlled with Android tablet (Roon, Pandora, etc.)
AURALiC VEGA G2 streamer/DAC with LEO GX Master Clock
either Inspire LP-2/KT150 or First Watt J2
Omega Super Alinico Monitors, Rythmik 8" powered woofers, Rythmik F12 subs
Home Theater using a Marantz AVR (powering only satellites, running through VEGA G2 home theater bypass channel for mains)

Last edited by pstrisik; 10-26-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=pstrisik;937287].
Just now getting reacquainted. Using familiar tubes. I will give the 6F6 a try soon.

Just have to move speaker cables from one amp to the other (using DAC as preamp for the J2) and make sure power to unused amp is off.

Are the Inspires sitting on the Sub? Would that be mAcrophonic?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
On another note, does anyone here go through a lot of type 80 tubes in there lp-27a? I seem to have them go bad pretty regularly. One or both sides just quit. Good thing the Sts are inexpensive. Not sure I want to burn up a globe as often as I would, though I have heard they do sound nice.
I just had a ST 80 fail. Spitting crackling, one channel out. I don't remember where I got it nor how it tested.

Be sure you get readings for both sections when you buy a rectifier tube and that they are close together. These tube are quite old and who knows where or how they were stored. I am going to be more selective going forward.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=BearCityUSA;937293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Are the Inspires sitting on the Sub? Would that be mAcrophonic?
Not ideal, but the best place to start. There is a layer of cork, then a stone slab, then a layer of 1/2" thick felt plus two layers of neoprene before the shelf the pieces are on. The vibration sensor on my phone, while not the most sophisticated instrument, reads very minimal vibration compared to the surface of the center console while playing bass heavy music.

All that said, since the shelf comes from a salamander rack, all I'll need to do is go to Home Depot for four lengths of threaded rod with nuts and rubber chair tips for the bottom of the rods. That will let me keep the shelf in the same place, but suspended over the sub rather than on it. Maybe tomorrow!

edit: went to lowe's. Making wooden legs for the stand.

Also - tried NOS Amperex EL84 using neutral adapters. Surprised with their pleasant and even sound. I use significant bass augmentation, so any roll off of lower freq response is not a concern.

I changed upstream components and eliminated the Marchand active xover since packing up the Inspires. I'm finding my tube preferences may have changed significantly. I really liked the sound of some RCA 6L6's that I didn't like so much before. So far the metal 6F6's aren't doing it for me. I'll go back to them again.

Last edited by pstrisik; 10-27-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=pstrisik;937305]
Quote:

Not ideal, but the best place to start. There is a layer of cork, then a stone slab, then a layer of 1/2" thick felt plus two layers of neoprene before the shelf the pieces are on. The vibration sensor on my phone, while not the most sophisticated instrument, reads very minimal vibration compared to the surface of the center console while playing bass heavy music.

All that said, since the shelf comes from a salamander rack, all I'll need to do is go to Home Depot for four lengths of threaded rod with nuts and rubber chair tips for the bottom of the rods. That will let me keep the shelf in the same place, but suspended over the sub rather than on it. Maybe tomorrow!

edit: went to lowe's. Making wooden legs for the stand.

Also - tried NOS Amperex EL84 using neutral adapters. Surprised with their pleasant and even sound. I use significant bass augmentation, so any roll off of lower freq response is not a concern.

I changed upstream components and eliminated the Marchand active xover since packing up the Inspires. I'm finding my tube preferences may have changed significantly. I really liked the sound of some RCA 6L6's that I didn't like so much before. So far the metal 6F6's aren't doing it for me. I'll go back to them again.
Re: EL84s - they don't have bass roll off if the output transformers are sufficient size. In the case of the Inspire KT88 amp, it's got more than enough output transformer, so there's not going to be any bass roll off. For only 5 watts, the EL84 has a surprising amount of punch.