AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Sabrina vs. Yvette

I am being offered the chance to upgrade from my current Sabrina to the Yvette. Was hoping to get listening impressions of the Yvette from those who are familiar with them... Are they worth the upgrade? I am hoping to get a bit more slam and weight to the instruments by moving up 1 notch in the Wilson line up to the Yvette. I will be pairing them with Mcintosh C1100 preamp and MC601 monoblocks. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/perspectives!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguru View Post
I am being offered the chance to upgrade from my current Sabrina to the Yvette. Was hoping to get listening impressions of the Yvette from those who are familiar with them... Are they worth the upgrade? I am hoping to get a bit more slam and weight to the instruments by moving up 1 notch in the Wilson line up to the Yvette. I will be pairing them with Mcintosh C1100 preamp and MC601 monoblocks. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/perspectives!
Do it. I think Yvette is in a different league, personally. I've heard Yvette sound better than my previous Sasha 2's (of course...comparing with my gear vs. the astronomically expensive gear that ran the Yvette at RMAF last year).

You will be very, very happy with Yvette.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Do it. I think Yvette is in a different league, personally. I've heard Yvette sound better than my previous Sasha 2's (of course...comparing with my gear vs. the astronomically expensive gear that ran the Yvette at RMAF last year).

You will be very, very happy with Yvette.
+1.

I auditioned both Sabrina and Yvette with the same Mac electronics (C52/MC452) on the same day in the same room at Paragon Sight and Sound. I swallowed hard and spent the extra money. Yvette has less congestion during big moments in the upper midrange, better less colored bass, and more 'space' between individual instruments in a larger more open sound stage. Your C1100/MC601 combination will sound great with Yvette.

Bob
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Totally agree with both the above comments. My Yvettes are better speakers than the Sasha 1s owned previously. Yvette has a number of the components of the Alex and some have said, sounds like a mini Alex. If you have the money and a big enough space buy Alex or Alexia, otherwise Yvette. This speaker may be a relative bargain in the Wilson line.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

The one thing you don't have with Yvette is the adjustability of the larger speakers. But, if your speaker/seating placement matches the fixed output of the Yvette, there's no need for that adjustability and you save a lot of money.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Andrew based on what you hope to achieve by moving up to the Yvette I think that there is no question that your objectives will be met.
What is the size of your room?

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 PM

I agree with Yvette over Sabrina. For me though ... once you really get the Sasha 2's dialed in I couldn't ever get the Yvette to really come close. I Demo'd both lately and have MC-601's with a Levinson preamp and bought the Sasha 2s after going head to head for hours and I really wanted to save the money! If the Sasha 2's are in your price range I would listen and decide for yourself. You might be surprised.

George
Old 08-18-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I agree with Yvette over Sabrina. For me though ... once you really get the Sasha 2's dialed in I couldn't ever get the Yvette to really come close. I Demo'd both lately and have MC-601's with a Levinson preamp and bought the Sasha 2s after going head to head for hours and I really wanted to save the money! If the Sasha 2's are in your price range I would listen and decide for yourself. You might be surprised.

George

Don't get me wrong...Sasha is better than Yvette. Wilson's upgrade path has clear improvements along the journey. I know this firsthand.

But what I heard at rmaf last year tested my belief that speakers were the most important determinant in the overall system. I heard Yvette backed by some very expensive gear, and it was freaking unbelievable. Bill will say that room had challenges, but I thought it was out of this world. Full DCS stack with reference VTL amplification and nordost Odin wires. Wow.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanks all for your responses. This helps a lot.

Buddy - my room is not huge (about 20x30 ft), and based on my intended setup, I don't think I have the need for the adjustability. So that's why I figure the Yvette falls into the sweet spot for what I need.

There is also just something about the lines and aesthetics of the Yvette that I find so captivating. They are beautiful to look at it.

I'm also glad to hear the Yvette will pair well with the mac 601s.

My understanding is that the Yvette also uses a soft dome tweeter. Is it the same tweeter that's found in the Sabrina? Wondering how the high end of the Yvette compares with Sabrina?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Totally agree with both the above comments. My Yvettes are better speakers than the Sasha 1s owned previously. Yvette has a number of the components of the Alex and some have said, sounds like a mini Alex. If you have the money and a big enough space buy Alex or Alexia, otherwise Yvette. This speaker may be a relative bargain in the Wilson line.
Coppy - can I ask what color that is you have with your Yvette's? They look fantastic in that picture. Is this one of the "standard" Wilson colors?